Home & Garden Post pictures of your newest home decor items!

This just arrived yesterday. It was my mom's. It's a 1925 Steinway model A3. She died in November 2020 from covid before vaxxes were available. I had to ship it cross-country and it took longer than expected. I am so fortunate to have it now. :heart:

View attachment 5280901

Love it! I love how you've hung the paintings of your forebearers behind it and removed them from their overpowering frames. I remember when you received those lovely paintings (yes I've been on TPF too long!). Without the heavy frames they look so much softer and immediate to the viewer than they did previously. And dare I say it but the man with the curled beard looks less eccentric without his frame!

Love it! I love how you've hung the paintings of your forebearers behind it and removed them from their overpowering frames. I remember when you received those lovely paintings (yes I've been on TPF too long!). Without the heavy frames they look so much softer and immediate to the viewer than they did previously. And dare I say it but the man with the curled beard looks less eccentric without his frame!

Thank you! :heart: They never had frames! Maybe they just looked different because the wall color was darker in my last place? :smile:

The man with the curled beard (Martin, my great great grandfather) will look "off" until I get him restored. There has been a fair amount of work and repairs done to these paintings and much of it was poorly done. I plan to send them out in 2022 for the proper repairs with a professional restorer. I had someone look at them decades ago and she said there is a lot of what they call "overpainting" so I'm guessing that his beard was covered up improperly.

Of course I will provide pics of the restorations!

Thank you! :heart: They never had frames! Maybe they just looked different because the wall color was darker in my last place? :smile:

The man with the curled beard (Martin, my great great grandfather) will look "off" until I get him restored. There has been a fair amount of work and repairs done to these paintings and much of it was poorly done. I plan to send them out in 2022 for the proper repairs with a professional restorer. I had someone look at them decades ago and she said there is a lot of what they call "overpainting" so I'm guessing that his beard was covered up improperly.

Of course I will provide pics of the restorations!

That would be cool! Love to see the restorations. Do you have any idea of when they were painted? Looks about 1860? Although the little girl's dress looks Regency period. Wonderful paintings!

That would be cool! Love to see the restorations. Do you have any idea of when they were painted? Looks about 1860? Although the little girl's dress looks Regency period. Wonderful paintings!

Wow, you're close! All three were painted in 1872. The family lived in New York at the time. The painter is Carl Franke. I don't know anything about him but he does have a distinct signature.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 9.43.52 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: BigPurseSue
Wow, you're close! All three were painted in 1872. The family lived in New York at the time. The painter is Carl Franke. I don't know anything about him but he does have a distinct signature.

View attachment 5282324

Don't know whether it's the same 19th century German painter but his paintings do come up at auctions:

I needed new bedroom furniture, so i got two vintage Danish pieces from an estate sale. I'll have them delivered next week. The dresser needs a bit of repair but it will be worth it because the pieces are high quality teak from Denmark. The manufacturer is Torring.

View attachment 5289806View attachment 5289807
These are lovely! Nicely minimalist! I hope you love them in your new space.

Reactions: lorihmatthews
I seem to have (happily) gone down a copper decor and jewelry rabbit hole. :shrugs: Got this copper splash bowl from Etsy. Copper is heated to 2200 degrees in a furnace. Using a ladle the molten copper is splashed and cooled to form the unique shapes of splash art pieces, or poured into molds for specific designs. The copper remaining in the ladle forms the bowls. The splash art, designs, and bowls are finally reheated to create the iridescent rainbow patina. No dyes, paints, chemicals, or additives.

il_794xN.3433264720_o8c2_1.jpgil_794xN.3480938201_baes.jpg

I seem to have (happily) gone down a copper decor and jewelry rabbit hole. :shrugs: Got this copper splash bowl from Etsy. Copper is heated to 2200 degrees in a furnace. Using a ladle the molten copper is splashed and cooled to form the unique shapes of splash art pieces, or poured into molds for specific designs. The copper remaining in the ladle forms the bowls. The splash art, designs, and bowls are finally reheated to create the iridescent rainbow patina. No dyes, paints, chemicals, or additives.

View attachment 5294150View attachment 5294151
It's so pretty!

• Love
Reactions: JenJBS