Possibly getting scammed

Well this is only getting better and better. So this lunatic of a buyer shipped not only with no insurance but also no signature confirmation! I realized last night that no where did it say on the tracking that I had to sign for it. My original plan was to pick it up from ups tonight since I wasn't going to be home to sign for it. Well after realizing she didn't do that I rushed home this morning so I can be there only to find out it was already delivered and the UPS driver had someone else sign for it. None of my neighbors have it, I checked the office and it's not there either.

We have 3 construction crews, landscapers, and maintenence staff all around the complex so who knows who got whatever she shipped. I called ups 3 times and they confirmed a signature was not required and they have no idea why the ups driver decided to have any Joe Shmoe sign for it. I messaged the buyer and she escalated the case. I also called ebay twice and now have to wait 48 hrs for a callback. This is giving me gray hairs by the second!
I may be wrong but AFAIK, UPS does collect signatures for items if required and I've never known them to get a signature when it's not required. (OTOH, they do sometimes forget to get a siggy when they should.)

It's really strange that you say the opposite of the norm happened. I've never ever heard of this!

I'm not sure whether online UPS tracking shows whether a signature will be required on delivery. It's very possible that that's something you can't verify online and just need to wait till delivered to see if they make you (or someone) sign.

If the signature and delivery zip code are the same as yours, I think you'll be SOL unless you can get ebay/PP to take a hit.

I may be wrong but AFAIK, UPS does collect signatures for items if required and I've never known them to get a signature when it's not required. (OTOH, they do sometimes forget to get a siggy when they should.)

It's really strange that you say the opposite of the norm happened. I've never ever heard of this!

I'm not sure whether online UPS tracking shows whether a signature will be required on delivery. It's very possible that that's something you can't verify online and just need to wait till delivered to see if they make you (or someone) sign.

I'm confused as to how OP found out it was signed for if UPS doesn't even know that it was signed for. Anyway, when they collect the signature they usually ask for a last name and that has shown on the tracking site for me in the past (Signed for by:, Left at:, etc.)

If the signature and delivery zip code are the same as yours, I think you'll be SOL unless you can get ebay/PP to take a hit.

There were a few return scams where people were returning books/empty boxes to another address in the same zip code as their seller and then getting refunded automatically by eBay/PP. In the cases I can think of the sellers eventually got their $$ back by calling UPS, getting the delivery info from them, tracking the package down, retrieving it and then filing a police report for fraud and appealing the decision from eBay/PP.

UPS signature-getting is up to the discretion of the driver I think. The guy at the UPS store said that they always get a signature at business locations even if signature confirmation isn't purchased separately. If it's true that the sender didn't buy insurance I would guess it is a scam since she didn't want UPS working to hard to find the package, YKWIM?

I'm confused as to how OP found out it was signed for if UPS doesn't even know that it was signed for.

According to the OP's update, she didn't say that UPS doesn't know it was signed for. She said that UPS doesn't know WHY it was signed for.

See the quote below:

Well this is only getting better and better. So this lunatic of a buyer shipped not only with no insurance but also no signature confirmation! I realized last night that no where did it say on the tracking that I had to sign for it. My original plan was to pick it up from ups tonight since I wasn't going to be home to sign for it. Well after realizing she didn't do that I rushed home this morning so I can be there only to find out it was already delivered and the UPS driver had someone else sign for it. None of my neighbors have it, I checked the office and it's not there either.

We have 3 construction crews, landscapers, and maintenence staff all around the complex so who knows who got whatever she shipped. I called ups 3 times and they confirmed a signature was not required and they have no idea why the ups driver decided to have any Joe Shmoe sign for it. I messaged the buyer and she escalated the case. I also called ebay twice and now have to wait 48 hrs for a callback. This is giving me gray hairs by the second!

There were a few return scams where people were returning books/empty boxes to another address in the same zip code as their seller and then getting refunded automatically by eBay/PP. In the cases I can think of the sellers eventually got their $$ back by calling UPS, getting the delivery info from them, tracking the package down, retrieving it and then filing a police report for fraud and appealing the decision from eBay/PP.

UPS signature-getting is up to the discretion of the driver I think. The guy at the UPS store said that they always get a signature at business locations even if signature confirmation isn't purchased separately. If it's true that the sender didn't buy insurance I would guess it is a scam since she didn't want UPS working to hard to find the package, YKWIM?
I don't disagree but it takes work on the part of the victim to prove the fraud. And that takes stamina. Often, it's easier to just give up because the whole process can wear you down.

And if you're worn down and give up, you'll lose the case since tracking and s.c. are proven by the scammer.

I don't disagree but it takes work on the part of the victim to prove the fraud. And that takes stamina. Often, it's easier to just give up because the whole process can wear you down.

And if you're worn down and give up, you'll lose the case since tracking and s.c. are proven by the scammer.

You are absolutely right. These scammers stay in business not because they're committing perfect crimes but because eBay/PP make it so difficult for a scammed seller to get their money back.

I can't say that is what is happening in this case because there isn't enough info at this point. I mean, maybe one of her landscapers took it or it's under a bush in her yard or at a neighbor's house. OP hasn't even confirmed that it was delivered to her own zip code yet, right?

So, was it on the tracking that it showed delivered and signed for? Does EBay and/or PP require the signature to be the seller or can it be anyone? I mean, if the buyer did request a signature or the driver took it upon themselves, if there is a signature and UPS states the correct address, then what? Maybe the buyer, even if not a nice person, did send it back. Not saying they did, but maybe? In which case, you need to find the person who took it.
Maybe I have this all wrong. If so, I am sorry!

Doesn't the person who signs for it have to be at the precise address that the item is being delivered to. Ie knock on the door, person signs, item delivered.

I can't understand how a landscaper, garbage man, neighbour in a large apartment complex, person walking dog down the road, can sign for a parcel and that be considered confirmation of delivery.

Surely an investigation can be raised with USPS that the item was not delivered?

After a very sleepless night I'm ready for a new day and a new fight lol. Today I'm going to the ups office to find out why and who signed for a package that had no signature confirmation on it and to the police station to file a police report. This buyer tried every trick in the book to screw me somehow.

1. Buyer changes user name after purchase
2. Buyer takes out her apartment # out of ebay attempting to have me ship it wrong
3. Buyer starts asking bizarre questions after I shipped the purse
4. Buyer claims bag is fake same day as getting it even though I included all original tags, copies of receipt and authentication
5. Buyer ships back with no insurance, no signature confirmation, and claims a value of $1 on whatever she's shipping
6. Buyer has some crappy feedback for sure

Forgot to add, ebay does NOT require a direct signature. So literally a person walking down the street can say oh hi I can sign for that!

This buyer searsmcneff, recovery6142005, xx should be avoided like the freaking plague!

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add, ebay does NOT require a direct signature. So literally a person walking down the street can say oh hi I can sign for that!

This buyer searsmcneff, recovery6142005, xxxx should be avoided like the freaking plague!

This from eBay's policy on their return program:

"The return shipping label will use US Postal Service (USPS) Parcel Select, First-Class, or Priority Mail, whichever is the most appropriate based on cost, package weight, and delivery time. Delivery Confirmation is automatically included so you can track the status of the return shipment. Signature Confirmation is also included if the item is valued at or more than $750."

Can you upload a screen shot of the return tracking information from UPS (with all sensitive information blocked out, of course)? That would really be helpful in terms of us providing advice about what may have happened with the return.

Doesn't the person who signs for it have to be at the precise address that the item is being delivered to. Ie knock on the door, person signs, item delivered.

I can't understand how a landscaper, garbage man, neighbour in a large apartment complex, person walking dog down the road, can sign for a parcel and that be considered confirmation of delivery.

Surely an investigation can be raised with USPS that the item was not delivered?

In theory? Yes. But that's often different from what some delivery drivers actually do :sad: