Possible to use Keepall 55 as a personal item when flying?

yHermes

Feb 25, 2013
I have the 55cm Keepall and have used it as my carry-on item for several flights without an issue. I'm considering buying rolling luggage carry-on size to use along with my keepall for longer trips.

Do you think I could use the rolling suitcase as my carry-on item and then use the 55 keepall as my personal item? I've never been stopped with my 55cm so wondering if this is plausible

I have the 55cm Keepall and have used it as my carry-on item for several flights without an issue. I'm considering buying rolling luggage carry-on size to use along with my keepall for longer trips.

Do you think I could use the rolling suitcase as my carry-on item and then use the 55 keepall as my personal item? I've never been stopped with my 55cm so wondering if this is plausible

I think it depends on what type of flights you typically take. If you are typically on puddle jumpers I'd say no but if you are on longer flights and bigger planes you should be fine.

I have a 22" nylon tote that's taller than the Keepall 55 that I use as a personal item with my carry-on rolling suitcase, and I've never had any problems with carrying both on. I do have to gate check the rolling suitcase on puddle jumpers. Everything leaving or coming into my airport is a puddle jumper, so it comes up a lot.

when it comes down to it it depends on the gate agent. For American carriers you are allowed 2 carry-ons. The standard being one goes in the overhead and one fits completely underneath the seat in front of you. the majority of gate agents count 2 bags and send you on down the jetway but you might get the stickler who is going to stress that one must fit under the seat. I would say the majority of gate agents in the US will simply count 2 bags.

As other posters have mentioned, it really depends on the scenario; a long haul flight with a full-service airline tends to be more flexible (larger plane and more storage space), especially in consideration of your seating class, but if you fly short or medium hauls, especially on busy routes, then be prepared to gate check as bin space is at a premium (budget airlines are a given, but even full-service on a premium class ticket is by no means a guarantee).

I've flown probably 100 times, and I've never been told I can't take on a larger personal bag unless the plane was too small (such as a 1-2 seating arrangement). I think you would be fine, but I would be prepared to check the bag at the gate if the plane is smaller.

A rolling suitcase + a 55 Keepall is really pushing the limit.
The rule is one carry on (it would be your suitcase) and a purse or laptop bag.

I see lots of people bring on too many carry on items. Sometimes they are allowed in, and sometimes the crew forces them to gate check the larger item. So it's a risk you would be taking every time you fly.

The other thing to consider is the amount of space your luggage would take. Do you think it would allow others to place their carry-on bags as well? You have to think about other flyers. As a frequent flyer, I find it very frustrating when others board the plane with more luggage than allowed.

Whatever decision you make, good luck and enjoy your shopping experience!

I see lots of people bring on too many carry on items. Sometimes they are allowed in, and sometimes the crew forces them to gate check the larger item. So it's a risk you would be taking every time you fly.

The other thing to consider is the amount of space your luggage would take. Do you think it would allow others to place their carry-on bags as well? You have to think about other flyers. As a frequent flyer, I find it very frustrating when others board the plane with more luggage than allowed.

+1 to the bolded!

A Keepall 55 is not equivalent to a purse/laptop bag.

If you fly in first or business you could get away with it as there's usually more space under the seat in front of you/bigger cubbies, but if you're in economy, you may have to gate check the bigger bag. Typically I've only seen people with a Keepall and a smaller bag.

Preach! Nobody likes a bin hog:mad::rant:

Has anyone ever had to gate check their keepall 55 (when using as a carry on, not as a personal item)? Trying to decide between 50 and 55. My local airport is a smaller regional airport, so I'm worried about having to gate check.

Has anyone ever had to gate check their keepall 55 (when using as a carry on, not as a personal item)? Trying to decide between 50 and 55. My local airport is a smaller regional airport, so I'm worried about having to gate check.
Airlines, especially budget, are becoming more stringent about bag measurements for carry on items and 50cm is usually the limit, so if you plan to use a Keepall for this purpose than I say play it safe with a 50.