Possible to get to shepton without a car?

I'm planning to book some flights, and go to london in january/early february. I am definitely going to bicester as it is so easy to access, but I am (crazy as I am) wondering if I should allow myself an extra day and go to shepton.

So I'm wondering, is it possible to get to shepton without a car? By train or bus, and then a taxi the last bit I suppose?

I am gonna call ahead if I decide to go, but would you ladies think it worth going at that time a year?

Thank you!

Hi, I've been wondering about this too, see my post about stockists in Bristol.
Bristol to Shepton Mallet is only around 20 miles and I don't like the thought of being so near and yet not being able to go there!

There are buses from Bristol, I think the whole journey takes about an hour and a half or maybe a little less. The problem is that you have to get a bus to Wells and then another bus to SM and if the first bus is late you'll miss the second one. Wells to SM is about 5 or 6 miles, so a taxi might not be too expensive. I'm just going to have go, I think you should too! You shouldn't pass up the opportunity.

shepton mallet is really in the middle of nowhere!! really don't think it will be easy to get to... maybe taxi is the best bet??

So it seems. Just wondering if anyone knew the closest train station or busstop, and how far it would be from there with a taxi. Since I'm driving at the other side of the road I don't feel like taking my chances with a rental car..

You could get a train from London Paddington to Castle Cary, and then a taxi to Shepton Mallet. For example, if you left Paddington on the 11.06 train, you wouldn't have to make any changes, and you would be in Castle Cary at 12.39. Shepton is 8 miles from Castle Cary. I would think the taxi fare would be £15-£20 one way. There may also be a bus to Shepton Mallet, but the factory shop isn't that near to the town centre, so I think a taxi would be better.

If you have a drivers license you could always rent a car?

But seeing as you're from Norway you're going to be used to cars going on the right side of the road so might be tricky...

You can always rent a car, I think that would work out cheaper.

But seeing as you are from Norway it might be tricky for you to cope with the cars going on the wrong side of the road...

(No offense, British people! Just a silly joke, opposite to right side of the road = wrong side :P)

Ops, posted twice...

You can always rent a car, I think that would work out cheaper.

But seeing as you are from Norway it might be tricky for you to cope with the cars going on the wrong side of the road...

lol.. I have lived in Australia so the driving part alone I could manage if I knew where I was going. But the multitasking of not knowing where I am going/the inability of gps to find shepton/cars at "wrong side of the road" would just be too much of a multitasking for me... :P