Positive Rejection

I don't have any kids but I'm not impressed with the information I get from TV, etc. I don't want my six year old obsessing about her looks, KWIM? If I had I girl I'd rather enroll her in a sports activity of choice. At least in sports you also learn rejection, adopt team playing skills, and get exercise in the process.

I Never Saw This Thread....Abandonedimages ~Thank You For The Great Article ~ Very Interesting!!!

I Myself Was Never In A Pagent.....Though, My Work Does Deal With The Clothing Aspect

Well, I'll bet from what most of you know about me you would think I was against them, right? And I WAS! Until I had the most beautiful little daughter. She is so pretty that sometimes I stare at her face and cannot believe how pretty she is. And sometimes I think, she could win a beauty pagent she's so pretty!!! I wouldn't put her in one because I'm too afraid of what it would do to her developing self-esteem at age 5, but man......I'm telling you she could win one!! So, I can see how people and kids fall into that whole "pagent" world. I think it's just too much for kids though.

I think, if done the right way, pageants could teach a little girl poise and good sportsmanship.

I do believe, however, that if a little girl is going to be entered into a pageant, she shouldn't do so until she's old enough to understand what she's getting into. She needs to understand that the parent will support her whether she decides to continue or if she decides she doesn't want to do it anymore. She needs to understand that there's something to be said for inner beauty, as well. And that winning isn't everything.

I once did a paper in high school comparing preparing for a pageant to preparing for a sporting event. The preparation for it, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

I think a parent can become a stage parent no matter what the child does. If the parent winds up living vicariously through the child, then maybe that activity isn't the right thing, whether it be pageants or little league.

tr444 said:
Well, I'll bet from what most of you know about me you would think I was against them, right? And I WAS! Until I had the most beautiful little daughter. She is so pretty that sometimes I stare at her face and cannot believe how pretty she is. And sometimes I think, she could win a beauty pagent she's so pretty!!! I wouldn't put her in one because I'm too afraid of what it would do to her developing self-esteem at age 5, but man......I'm telling you she could win one!! So, I can see how people and kids fall into that whole "pagent" world. I think it's just too much for kids though.

I'm not trying to compare my cat to your daughter, but my cat, Louis, is gorgeous. (Louis is my fluffy white cat.) We're not sure but we think he might be a Turkish Angora. If we had his papers, we could enter him in a purebred cat show. (As he was adopted from a shelter, he would probably only qualify in the mixed breed division.) I honestly believe he could win something if I entered him. I wouldn't, though, because I just know he wouldn't enjoy being in a carrier / cage or being handled by judges.

. . . . I would actually be afraid he'd freak out and swat at the judge.

Traci ~ I Saw The Picture Of Your Daughter.....She Is Beautiful (Just Like Mommy!!!).......I Could See Doing Well With Something This. You Would Never Do It For The Wrong Reasons (i.e. Self Fullfillment Issues).

I Know A Lot Of People (Outside The Work Aspect), Who Are Interested In Pagents...One Of My Friends Asked Her Daughter (She Wanted It To Be Up To Her)....Her Daughter Wanted No Part. Therefore, My Friend (of Course)....Decided Against It.