Poshmark selling tactic super rude or....

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I sell on PM, I also buy quite a bit. I have to admit that my *number one* pet peeve is when sellers jack up the price of their listing AFTER I make an offer. Then never reply to my offer. Why is that? I think it is a dirty move, and makes me not want to do business with you. Is there some selling tactic I am unaware of?

2. Hi,

It's simply a passive aggressive move. Someone actually told me they do it to be nasty and make sure that you see your offer is not wanted. :tdown:SMH. It has happened to me quiet a lot on there before. I just chalk it up to greed. Take it as a sign that I didn't waste my hard earned money and move on. From a sellers point of view, I will ONLY ignore an offer if my listing clearly states " price is firm." That drives me crazy! Keep in mind some of the sellers on there don't have any selling history. So,that could be the case of them just being naive as well. As far as selling protocol/etiquette goes.

debbiesdaughter likes this.
  3. I'm not familiar with how PM works... Is it similar to eBay's Best Offer? The only reason why a seller wouldn't respond to an offer is if it is low balling (I sell ever so often when the mood strikes and personally consider no offer as low and counter everything).

Is your offer so low as to cause offense? Why else would someone relist at a higher price than to drive similar buyers away?

4. My offers (I feel) are very reasonable- and also leave room for a counteroffer. Many times I just purchase too if something's a great deal. Probably 80% of the time my offers are accepted. I sell too and I HATE lowball offers so I avoid that. Sometimes I think sellers get greedy- they get 1 offer early and decide to decline, increase the price, and wait. Good luck to them.

5. I've heard that some do this on eBay, as well.

Not sure of the strategy there though if they want to make a sale. :confused1:

6. #6 Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    I would not assume the seller increased the price out of spite. I understand that their are sellers that do that and probably your seller. We just don't know for sure unless that person admits it. Sometimes a seller has to raise the price to get the offers they want. I have learned people always want a discount no matter how cheap the price. A lot of sellers want to get the most while a lot of buyers want to pay the least. I think the way a person looks at the situation can call either side greedy.
    I usually price my bags for what I want to get for the item. I don't have much wiggle room. I don't counter when I think buyers wants me to haggle for the lowest price, the lowest they have seen sold, and way under my listening price. I would have to lower my price greatly for those buyers to consider buying the bag. Sometimes I raise my price if my asking price brings in a lot of bargain hunters because I want a fair price for my item. When I raise my price I know some buyers might assume it is out of spite, but it is just buisness. I don't worry about it because from my experience those buyers are only interested if I sell it for their price. So, I lost nothing. This explanation is not towards the OP. I am talking in general. :smile:

xincinsin and JVSXOXO like this.
  7. "What is a free market economy?
    A free market is a market economy system in which the prices for goods and services are set freely by consent between vendors and consumers, in which the laws and forces of supply and demand are free from any intervention by a government, price-setting monopoly, or other authority."

If you don't like the price of an item then continue searching for the price you do....and then buy it quickly before someone else does.

JVSXOXO and Black Elite like this.
  8. Just had the worst case of this happen to me. I was looking at a $75 dollar jacket and offered $50. She countered with $63 and I countered with $60 just so it was a better number. Seems I should have taken the deal because now she won't take $63 and has doubled the price to $150. Unbelievable! Maybe I offended her with the 3 dollar difference, but it seems childish on her part.

9. As a seller, I would have been offended by the $3 move. She made you a considerate offer and you quibbled.

Longchamp, kawiipan, BBC and 3 others like this.
  10. She met you halfway between her asking price and your offer, so yes, it is offensive to counter again, especially over $3.

kawiipan, JVSXOXO and smallfry like this.
  11. It was my first attempt at making a purchase on the site or bartering for something so I'll blame my own ignorance. I assumed it would be fine because I explained to her in a separate chat we had that I'm a student with a budget and I needed to stay under a certain number (unless she could wait another week). The additional 3 dollars put me over my mark including shipping/tax etc. I had no intention of offending her and I apologized profusely, but I guess it will be back to DIYing my outfits for awhile. Thanks for letting me know how you would perceive my behavior as a seller and providing a learning experience on how not to appear rude :biggrin: