Travel Portland, Seattle or Vancouver or a combination?

ODEDIHAIMS

Apr 13, 2015
my friend and I are trying to plan a trip this July. We have a week to 10 days. We live in Florida so it will take most of a day just to get there each way. Would you suggest staying in one of these places the whole time or traveling to two or all 3?
We like a combination of hiking and shopping and sightseeing.

Well, shopping is tax-free in Oregon, so you might want to stay in Portland or at least stop over to shop for the day before continuing on. You have to stay in Seattle and Vancouver. So much to see and do in both places. In Seattle you have the Space Needle and Pike Place Market. I would spend at least 2 days in Seattle. I would spend at least 3 days in Vancouver and even that wouldn't be enough. We go to Stanley Park and take the horse-drawn carriage tour. We also spend one day going to Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain (We do these 2 on the same day because they are on the same road). Then we take a day to go on the ferry to Victoria. But you still need time to explore downtown Vancouver. Hope this helps. Have fun planning your trip!

Do you like wine? We really enjoyed the Williamette Valley in Oregon. It is so beautiful! Seattle is a fun city with so many things to see and do, plus there are 500+ wineries/tasting rooms in the woodenville /warehouse area. I think you can do all three.

I think you can definitely do all 3 in 10 days! Portland and Seattle are great for hiking, Portland has an awesome food and brewery scene. Vancouver is a very metropolitan and diverse city to explore. You can get some ideas by looking up "Pacific Northwest Itineraries".

Having been to all 3 I say go to all 3 if you have 10 days, travel times are not long if you go Portland to Seattle to Vancouver or vice versa so you don't lose much time traveling. Great walks, hiking, food, sights for all three. It is a great region to explore.

Do you like wine? We really enjoyed the Williamette Valley in Oregon. It is so beautiful! Seattle is a fun city with so many things to see and do, plus there are 500+ wineries/tasting rooms in the woodenville /warehouse area. I think you can do all three.

I think you can definitely do all 3 in 10 days! Portland and Seattle are great for hiking, Portland has an awesome food and brewery scene. Vancouver is a very metropolitan and diverse city to explore. You can get some ideas by looking up "Pacific Northwest Itineraries".

Having been to all 3 I say go to all 3 if you have 10 days, travel times are not long if you go Portland to Seattle to Vancouver or vice versa so you don't lose much time traveling. Great walks, hiking, food, sights for all three. It is a great region to explore.

THank you all very much for the help. Will definitely enjoy some wine along the way

I live in Bellevue, WA and I think you should drive up to Vancouver. It's a nice drive especially during the summer! If you're gong to Portland I highly highly recommend eating at pok pok and getting ice cream at salt and straw! They're right across the street from each other. Portland also has some cute food trucks.

Seattle you need to see pike place and the space needle of course. If you like sushi I'd try eating at japonessa. if you want to try our clam chowder, there's a place called pike place chowder. If you like fresh shrimp I think you should drive up to anacortes and eat at the shrimp shack. Super yummy!!! Anacortes is really beautiful to walk around too.

Shopping is alright in Seattle but I'm sure it's a lot better in Florida haha. If you're shopping for high end bags I recommend gong yo the Nordstrom in downtown Seattle or the bravern in Bellevue.

Last edited:
I live in Bellevue, WA and I think you should drive up to Vancouver. It's a nice drive especially during the summer! If you're gong to Portland I highly highly recommend eating at pok pork and getting ice cream at salt and straw! They're right across the street from each other. Portland also has some cute food trucks.

Seattle you need to see pike place and the space needle of course. If you like sushi I'd try eating at japonessa. if you want to try our clam chowder, there's a place called pike place chowder. If you like fresh shrimp I think you should drive up to anacortes and eat at the shrimp shack. Super yummy!!! Anacortes is really beautiful to walk around too.

Shopping is alright in Seattle but I'm sure it's a lot better in Florida haha. If you're shopping for high end bags I recommend gong yo the Nordstrom in downtown Seattle or the bravern in Bellevue.
As somewhat of an ice cream connoisseur, I loved Salt & Straw, it was just a couple of blocks from where I was staying and I had ice cream from there all four days I was in Portland. And there was so much choice among the food pods/trucks downtown, it was very hard to choose!

As somewhat of an ice cream connoisseur, I loved Salt & Straw, it was just a couple of blocks from where I was staying and I had ice cream from there all four days I was in Portland. And there was so much choice among the food pods/trucks downtown, it was very hard to choose!

Their honey lavender ice cream is my favorite!! And that's coming from someone who doesn't like anything lavender haha.

Do all three!
Fly into Vancouver. Make sure you rent a car and hike the Chiefs in Vancouver. https://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/stawamus-chief/

You can take the train from Vancouver to Seattle. It's a super beautiful ride. Once you are finished in Seattle, you can continue your commute to Portland by train. Portland has some amazing hiking trails.
Thank you! That looks like a great hike.

I live in Bellevue, WA and I think you should drive up to Vancouver. It's a nice drive especially during the summer! If you're gong to Portland I highly highly recommend eating at pok pok and getting ice cream at salt and straw! They're right across the street from each other. Portland also has some cute food trucks.

I haven't had ice cream in so long! But I'll earn some after these hikes
Definitely don't plan on buying any bags on this trip.

Their honey lavender ice cream is my favorite!! And that's coming from someone who doesn't like anything lavender haha.

That sounds AMAZING!!

I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I think we narrowed it down to Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. I will make It to Portland soon with my kids since my dad moved there recently. Just trying to work out the logistics now. Fly into Seattle and fly home from Vancouver, or vice versa, or round trip from Seattle? Rent a car or not necessary?

If you get a chance in the future, take a drive along the Pacific Coast Highway (stunning!). Also hit Astoria, Oregon. There are some amazing bed and breakfasts there. Lovely.

To be honest, I've never been a huge Seattle fan. Probably because there are some cooler places to visit in the northwest. Fairhaven near Bellingham, has always been one.