Popular or unique names in your country

OK, not popular, but definitely unique. I have a friend that named her daughter Vercsaje (try saying that one!) It kind of grew on me after a while, but when I first heard it I was like WTF! But, I have no idea why she didnt just spell it normal!

Its pronounced Ver-say.

My name is pretty unique, its Valeen. I go by Val, and it really annoys me when people just assume my name is Valerie lol! Not that I dont like the name Valerie....its just NOT MY NAME! I've been introduced as "Val" and people will be like "Oh, why dont you go by your full name, Valerie?" Ummm...thats not my name!

Last edited:
I love unique names....I'm one of three Sarahs (we all spell it the same way) in my 20 person math class! I was actually supposed to be either a Tenley or Tierney but my dad changed his mind at the last minute and convinced my mom to give me a "popular" name.

One thing's for sure, I want my future kids to have a different name. I've liked reading all the posts on this thread, very interesting!

I have an unusual name (there was NOBODY around with my name as a kid, but it is certainly more popular now) and my DH has a top 300 name.

We gave our kids names that are definately NOT popular here, but are popular names in other countires. Both names sound unique when said out in full but they have a common sounding nickname if the child wants to have a common sounding name.

Child 1 & 2 have slavic names (scandinavian spelling though) to go with our scandi last name. Child 3 was given an odd name (with unique spelling), and child 4 will be given a name that is uber common in Norway & Sweeden, but rarely heard over here.

What stinks is if you have a relatively easy name but there are multiple spellings, you will inevitably always be correcting it to someone. My name is Megan. I honestly believe that is the most simple way to spell it (not saying it's the best, but it's the least amount of letters!) I think, more often than not, I get Meghan or Meagan. I don't know what it is but people just like to throw the extra letters in there! They probably grew up with a friend named Megan spelled a different way so it's ingrained in their head like that or something. Who knows.

That being said, my favorite names are simple, semi-popular ones. I don't want my children to have the most common name in their class, but I also want them to have a name that people will know how to pronounce, and for the most part, be able to spell. Right now I have Colin William for a boy and Logan Elizabeth for a girl (I know Logan is probably more of a boy's name, but I love how it mirrors my own name for a girl.) William is DH's first name and Elizabeth was my middle name before I changed it to my maiden name when I got married. I'm also becoming more of a fan of the "older" style names, like recently I had two friends have girls and they both named their daughter Amelia. I also like the name Juliet.