polygomist fashion

just a thought... not to be taken too seriously.. but if they do all that so that they're equal, naturally, some women are prettier than others, that will still show

but if they're all given the chance to do themselves up as much as they want and use make up and all that, then they can each try to look the best of their ability.. wouldnt that be more fair?

I think it's actually in incredibly bad taste that someone has written an article about something as shallow as their appearance when there is an investigation into girls within this sect being forced into sexual relations and marriage.......

I think it's actually in incredibly bad taste that someone has written an article about something as shallow as their appearance when there is an investigation into girls within this sect being forced into sexual relations and marriage.......

I can see your point, however, I think this article serves an important purpose. Since the polygamist groups have been in the news so much, we've all seen the way the women dress at these compounds. I think people are curious. Are they like the Amish? Do they have electricity and running water? Do they use horses and buggies rather than cars and trucks? All we can see from the news is that the people living at the compounds are dressed differently from women and children you'd see on the streets in Manhattan, and different from people you'd see in most areas of the US. But why? Do their husbands make them cover themselves - is this some form of submission? Are they like some Muslims that don't show their hair or bare skin? Is their dress governed by the Mormon church or by some sort of FLDS law?

You're right - there are much more pressing issues surrounding these people right now than the way they're dressed. But I don't think it's a bad thing to try to educate the rest of us about why they do the things they do, and why they look the way they do, and why they're dressed the way they are.

With all the speculation about what's going on at the compound, I think it does a lot of good to give information like this, rather than let us all make assumptions. We're assuming enough about them already.

I am not LDS. However, this is a breakaway sect & is not part of the greater LDS/Mormon church & it's current practices. It's important to remember when this type of thing is everywhere in the news. These are isolated events & sects that do not fairly represent to more mainstream and accepted practices of their faith. This situation is fairly awful, but I have known many Mormons & they would also be appalled at these events.

completely off topic, but...

"Women don't actually want to look like that," she says. "I can see the Brooklyn hipsters rocking a French braid, but not in a serious way. Maybe ironically."

how can you rock a french braid ironcially? im from brooklyn and sometimes, gasp, i wear braids in my long hair.

It's more or less a uniform, one person doesn't look richer or poorer than the other and no one is under pressure to dress a certain way to impress their peers if they are not financially able to. I believe it indicates financial uniformity more than anything else.

I wore a school uniform K-12 carried a regulation backpack and wore braided hair /short hair as per school rules. It honestly made my high school career much easier than those of my other friends in different schools who always tried to keep up with the 'hip crowd' because they were ostracized if they didn't dress stylishly or expensively enough.