Poll & Thoughts - 1st Dior or ....

abcDior or Goyard Alto Hat Box?

• Total voters

cly_forever

Sparkle on!
Mar 31, 2013
Hi ^_^

I know one of the bags attached here is not Dior, but I plan to add either one into my collection.
I am a klutz, so I am worried if the lambskin on the abcDior bag would deflate and scratch easily.
I know that Dior's lambskin is better than Chanel's (in my opinion), but still...............

Please share your thoughts on the wear and tear if you have any of these bags shown below (pics are not mine).
Many thanks in advance!

ABCDior.jpg

Goyard Alto Hat Box - Exterior.jpg

Goyard Alto Hat Box - Interior.jpg

People think that coated canvas is indestructible, but it isn't. The surface can show wear as well. and unlike leather, it cannot be redyed.

Of course, lamb skin will show scratches a lot more easily than coated canvas, but with that comes a beautiful, soft material that PVC canvas does not compare to when it comes to the supple, luxurious feel of lambskin.

The ABCDior comes in other materials as well, including calfskin and also satin. Each material has its own advantages as well as unique care instructions. If you are concerned about lambskin, then I suggest going for an ultra-matte calfskin ABCDior.

The Lady Dior beats the hat box any day. As much as I like this newer trend of hat-box purses and train-case purses, I feel that a classic handbag shape will serve you well for a much longer period of time.

People think that coated canvas is indestructible, but it isn't. The surface can show wear as well. and unlike leather, it cannot be redyed.

Of course, lamb skin will show scratches a lot more easily than coated canvas, but with that comes a beautiful, soft material that PVC canvas does not compare to when it comes to the supple, luxurious feel of lambskin.

The ABCDior comes in other materials as well, including calfskin and also satin. Each material has its own advantages as well as unique care instructions. If you are concerned about lambskin, then I suggest going for an ultra-matte calfskin ABCDior.

The Lady Dior beats the hat box any day. As much as I like this newer trend of hat-box purses and train-case purses, I feel that a classic handbag shape will serve you well for a much longer period of time.
Thank you so much for your insights! I have yet to pull the trigger on the LD as I prefer the zip opening than the flap, but the zip is not done on the abcDior, and I understand it would limit the opening of the bag. The medium is a tad too large for me, be it casual or special occasion use. I have yet to see the hat box in person, so I am keeping my options open. Why is it so difficult to find the perfect bag

Reactions: averagejoe
Thank you so much for your insights! I have yet to pull the trigger on the LD as I prefer the zip opening than the flap, but the zip is not done on the abcDior, and I understand it would limit the opening of the bag. The medium is a tad too large for me, be it casual or special occasion use. I have yet to see the hat box in person, so I am keeping my options open. Why is it so difficult to find the perfect bag
The new Lady Dior bags all have the flap closure. If you want the zippered one on the medium, then some boutiques may still have some older stock, but eventually they will all be replaced with the flap closure.

The flap closure is a lot more convenient. The zippered closure on the medium is very narrow, and can scratch your jewelry and watch if you are digging in your bag. I'm actually really glad that they replaced that. It made for a beautiful, classy closure, but it is really impractical.

If you want a unique bag with a recognizable shape, then have you considered the Saddle? It has such a uniquely-Dior (and iconic) shape, and it actually looks like a purse unlike the hat box which in a few years may look like you are using a bag that is not meant to be a purse as a purse.

The new Lady Dior bags all have the flap closure. If you want the zippered one on the medium, then some boutiques may still have some older stock, but eventually they will all be replaced with the flap closure.

The flap closure is a lot more convenient. The zippered closure on the medium is very narrow, and can scratch your jewelry and watch if you are digging in your bag. I'm actually really glad that they replaced that. It made for a beautiful, classy closure, but it is really impractical.

If you want a unique bag with a recognizable shape, then have you considered the Saddle? It has such a uniquely-Dior (and iconic) shape, and it actually looks like a purse unlike the hat box which in a few years may look like you are using a bag that is not meant to be a purse as a purse.
I heard about the removal of the zip on the medium, too! I understand the practicality of the flap, but don't know how secured it would be if I wear the smaller LD crossbody when I am out and about with my cheeky 5 year old. I guess I will have to look into using the LD on special occasions.

I tried the Saddle on only once, and I don't know why I look weird - maybe it is my figure? maybe my attire? my shoes? I really don't know, and I don't know how to make it work for me. What is your thought on the velvet on the Saddle?

I tried on the Bobby in oblique navy, and I felt it looked better on me, but I don't know if this is just a trendy bag?

Hands down the Lady! You can’t go wrong with the bag even if you’re a klutz. That leather wears very well for lambskin. I’ve had mine for almost 2 years and it still looks like the day I got it. Plus this bag is a classic...and get the red! Dior makes such a beautiful red.
Thank you for your reply. I love both the black and the red - so classy! The thing is, I already have an LV Alma in the PM size in the red vernis leather, and because it is a handheld bag, I rarely use it since I have young children although I will never part with the bag. I never thought I would be slightly intimidated with the shiny patent red, and I never own a red bag since! Thank goodness Dior has produced other materials and sizes for the LD.

Thank you for your reply. I love both the black and the red - so classy! The thing is, I already have an LV Alma in the PM size in the red vernis leather, and because it is a handheld bag, I rarely use it since I have young children although I will never part with the bag. I never thought I would be slightly intimidated with the shiny patent red, and I never own a red bag since! Thank goodness Dior has produced other materials and sizes for the LD.

I get it. I rarely use my Alma GM because of the lack of the strap but would never part with it. It is great they have the Lady Dior in so many beautiful colors. I do think a red lady in lambskin is different enough from a patent leather LV bag to have both.

In regards to your concerns about the flap, it’s actually quite secure. Trust me I tested it out by turning the bag upside down and nothing fell out. I have both the zipper and the flap and have no preference either way.

Reactions: cly_forever
I get it. I rarely use my Alma GM because of the lack of the strap but would never part with it. It is great they have the Lady Dior in so many beautiful colors. I do think a red lady in lambskin is different enough from a patent leather LV bag to have both.

In regards to your concerns about the flap, it’s actually quite secure. Trust me I tested it out by turning the bag upside down and nothing fell out. I have both the zipper and the flap and have no preference either way.
Thank you for sharing your experience with the LD - that made me wanna go try the bag again with my stuff inside turned upside down! ^_^

I will definitely check out the lambskin one again. Thank you!

Reactions: Venessa84
I

think the same for the saddle, it is a trend now but in 10 Years it will Look Like kidney ;)

I heard about the removal of the zip on the medium, too! I understand the practicality of the flap, but don't know how secured it would be if I wear the smaller LD crossbody when I am out and about with my cheeky 5 year old. I guess I will have to look into using the LD on special occasions.

I tried the Saddle on only once, and I don't know why I look weird - maybe it is my figure? maybe my attire? my shoes? I really don't know, and I don't know how to make it work for me. What is your thought on the velvet on the Saddle?

I tried on the Bobby in oblique navy, and I felt it looked better on me, but I don't know if this is just a trendy bag?
The flap is quite large so it doesn't open easily as most of it stays tucked inside the bag to keep your contents secure.

The velvet Saddle with the Oblique pattern is very nice, and the velvet Saddles with the crystal-inlaid hardware are gorgeous! When you tried on the Saddle, did you try it on cross-body with a sold-separately Dior strap? It gives the bag an extra cool edge! It may sit nicer on you that way, too, if you aren't into wearing the bag under your arms, or holding the bag as a top-handle bag.

The flap is quite large so it doesn't open easily as most of it stays tucked inside the bag to keep your contents secure.

The velvet Saddle with the Oblique pattern is very nice, and the velvet Saddles with the crystal-inlaid hardware are gorgeous! When you tried on the Saddle, did you try it on cross-body with a sold-separately Dior strap? It gives the bag an extra cool edge! It may sit nicer on you that way, too, if you aren't into wearing the bag under your arms, or holding the bag as a top-handle bag.

I tried it cross-body, and also handheld, but the silhouette just ..... didn't flatter my overall look that day...A friend of mine has it in the Oblique Navy, and she just looks amazing with it! I honestly felt that I need to dress up for that bag, but the abcDior can complement both casual and formal attire.

Do you think the velvet from Dior will wear well in places with rain and snow?

Reactions: averagejoe