• I find it heavy so i only use it when I'll be sitting most of the time

• Carried on the crook of the elbow

• Carried with hand

Results are only viewable after voting.

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
Hello, Ladies.

Down the line i realize i'll most likely succumb to getting a birkin, 35 cm. It is after all a work of art. The more you stare the better it looks on a person.

I know there are tons of articles on this bag but please allow me to indulge myself in a thread all my own and the poll based on my intentions on the Birkin.

I currently own an Etoupe Lindy 34 in Clemence & A Gold Kelly 32 Retourne also on the same leather. I love slouchy, smooshy bags. And I'm a shoulder girl at heart.

My next H bags will be an SO Kelly 26 in BDP (or any blue bag) and probably an Evelyne.

i realize that i can use the Birkin when i'm not walking all day (shopping) and can bring it out to dinner and maybe to the airport.

I just wish it has the handle drop of the Shoulder Birkin but i find the shoulder Birkin bag too short. I like the height of the 35 more.

Please feel free to comment on negative aspects on this bag so i can have sort of a user's perspective.

If it's not too much to ask, can you weigh your birkins with your usual stuff too?

Please provide 2 choices as deemed appropriate: Heavy vs not heavy. And elbow vs hand.

Oh yes, i'm also 43 now so, to a certain extent, function first before form...

Thanks very much!!!!

Last edited:
hi as for me i sold all my 35cm. birkins cos i found it too heavy

i feel that 30cm. works better for my daily needs

i carry it both on the crook of my elbow and on my hand

Hi, I own a 35 and as long as I don't have to tote around DHs stuff along with all off my "garbage", I don't mind the weight. I switch sides regularly and also carry it in both places (hand and crook of elbow).

But I am thinking of getting a 30 for my 2nd birkin - but mainly for styling than for weight issues. :smile:

I only have 2 Birkins and both are 35 cm. For me, the 35 cm looks nicer on my frame and I'm only 5 ft 2 in. To me, the 35 cm looks more elegant and the 30 cm looks more playful. I'm in my late 30's so I want to be able to use my bags and look age appropriate when I get older. So my game plan is to purchase my neutral bags in 35 cm and my fun more colorful bags in 30 cm. Clemence leather is the heaviest so stay away from that if you don't like a heavy bag because it is heavy even when empty!! Hope this helps.

I totally agree with Pamella - the 30 is the perfect size for me. It holds everything I
need easily, and while I do find it just a bit heavy, I carry it all the time, mostly in my
hand.

I had a 32 Retourne Kelly and it was too small (and too formal) for me. I got a 35 Birkin and then a 30. I sold the 30 and now it's 35 all the way for me. I think it depends on the look you're going for rather than what will fit. The 30 holds a lot. It was just a little bit too dressy for me and I wanted more of a very casual tote and the 35 is perfect. I have an Evelyne but the heavy weight on my shoulders is uncomfortable. I used to be a shoulder bag gal like you, but I find the hand-hand or over the arm style much more comfortable.

That being said, I live in a small-ish town and drive everywhere, so I am not carrying my B for long periods of time. When I go in to the grocery store I sometimes take out one of my Karo's that holds things I won't need in the store. I really don't find my 35 Togo or CDC heavy for the short periods of about an hour of carrying it. My next bag will be Clemence and even though it is heavy I love that leather!

I had a 32 Retourne Kelly and it was too small (and too formal) for me. I got a 35 Birkin and then a 30. I sold the 30 and now it's 35 all the way for me. I think it depends on the look you're going for rather than what will fit. The 30 holds a lot. It was just a little bit too dressy for me and I wanted more of a very casual tote and the 35 is perfect. I have an Evelyne but the heavy weight on my shoulders is uncomfortable. I used to be a shoulder bag gal like you, but I find the hand-hand or over the arm style much more comfortable.

That being said, I live in a small-ish town and drive everywhere, so I am not carrying my B for long periods of time. When I go in to the grocery store I sometimes take out one of my Karo's that holds things I won't need in the store. I really don't find my 35 Togo or CDC heavy for the short periods of about an hour of carrying it. My next bag will be Clemence and even though it is heavy I love that leather!

Another 35 gal here. I never had a 30 but have seen them up close (thanks, LGA!) and while I really like them and think they are a little dressier, as Kallie Girl said, they're just not for me. Both of mine are heavier, Gold is Courcheval and Raisin :yahoo:is Box, but I carry them in the crook of my arm most of the time and they are fine. And unlike KG, I do a lot of walking - 10 blocks to and from the subway to my office. Do I mind? HECK NO, IT'S A BIRKIN, lol.

Anything hermes - i'm also 5'2" so that's great input in terms of proportion. But i'm of medium build so a 35 will suit me better i guess. Thanks also on the tip on Clemence. Maybe that's why both my Kelly & Lindy are a tad heavy. But when empty, they're light. so i just pare down to the bare necessities.

LGA32 - thanks. wow a 30 heavy already.

KallieGirl - thanks for the perspectives on both sizes. something to think about.

LBurke9915 - cute. that'll be my mantra when i carry 2 of my H bags!