Poll! Hangtag and Charm Loss Prevention - What Do You Think of This Method?

What is your opinion of using a thin ball chain as a extra "guard chain" to secure charms/hangtags?

• I think it's a great idea, I might do the same thing!

• It adds security but I don't like the look

• It looks terrible!

• Quit worrying so much about losing your charms and tags!

Results are only viewable after voting.

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
Over the years I have lost a few hangtags and I am always sad when that happens, but I have been lucky and have either found them (inside the bag, or in the house, car, or at work); and when I couldn't find them I have been able to get good, free, replacements from Coach Customer Service, or from the Coach store.

The times when I did find them, I've noticed that the chains are never broken, they've simply unfastened, so I have gotten into the habit of using a needle-nosed pliers to give the clasps a gentle squeeze periodically, to try and make sure that they are tight.

I have always been more concerned about losing a favorite or valuable charm or fob, and sometimes I add a ball chain from a hangtag as a second attachment to help keep the charm from disappearing. I have also purchased small dog-leash clips online, in various colors of hardware, to easily and safely attach key ring fobs to bags, but I was never as worried about the hangtags because I knew that I could always get a free replacement, if necessary.

That all changed with my first 1941 bag, the Dark Denim Rogue, because the 1941 bags have a very unique hangtag. Recently I was sorry to read that @JVSXOXO had lost the hangtag on her Beechwood Rogue and that Coach sent a plain metal tag as a free replacement. So I got out the pliers and tightened the clasps on the charm and hangtag on my rogue and I felt secure - until it almost happened to me! The other day I picked up my bag to head out the door when I heard a dull thud and looked down to see the hangtag on my kitchen floor and the ball chain hanging open but still on the bag!

I decided that I needed a more secure method of preventing loss and so I found an online vendor that sells jewelry-making supplies. I ordered 10 feet of very thin (1.2 mm) brass ball chain and it came with 10 free clasps (insert-type clasps not crimp-type). They were very inexpensive, less than $8 shipped and they arrived quickly. I used a scissors to cut 2 chains to length, attached the clasps and added them to the charm and hangtag on my Rogue - and I gave all the clasps a little squeeze with my pliers - mostly for luck!

The idea is that they will act as a guard chain, like you sometimes see on watches and bracelets to provide a little extra security if the clasp suddenly opens.

I do feel more secure now that I have added extra protection, but I am worried that it may look a little "junky" because there's lot of stuff hanging off the front of my rogue!

Here are some pics of my new "charm/fob/hangtag loss prevention method" please take a look and use the poll to let me know your opinion of this approach, or tell me if you have a different suggestion, thanks!

DoubleChain_001.jpg

DoubleChain_002.jpg

DoubleChain_005.jpg

DoubleChain_006.jpg

Last edited:
Over the years I have lost a few hangtags and I am always sad when that happens, but I have been lucky and have either found them (inside the bag, or in the house, car, or at work); and when I couldn't find them I have been able to get good, free, replacements from Coach Customer Service, or from the Coach store.

The times when I did find them, I've noticed that the chains are never broken, they've simply unfastened, so I have gotten into the habit of using a needle-nosed pliers to give the clasps a gentle squeeze periodically, to try and make sure that they are tight.

I have always been more concerned about losing a favorite or valuable charm or fob, and sometimes I add a ball chain from a hangtag as a second attachment to help keep the charm from disappearing. I have also purchased small dog-leash clips online, in various colors of hardware, to easily and safely attach key ring fobs to bags, but I was never as worried about the hangtags because I knew that I could always get a free replacement, if necessary.

That all changed with my first 1941 bag, the Dark Denim Rogue, because the 1941 bags have a very unique hangtag. Recently I was sorry to read that @JVSXOXO had lost the hangtag on her Beechwood Rogue and that Coach sent a plain metal tag as a free replacement. So I got out the pliers and tightened the clasps on the charm and hangtag on my rogue and I felt secure - until it almost happened to me! The other day I picked up my bag to head out the door when I heard a dull thud and looked down to see the hangtag on my kitchen floor and the ball chain hanging open but still on the bag!

I decided that I needed a more secure method of preventing loss and so I found an online vendor that sells jewelry-making supplies. I ordered 10 feet of very thin (1.2 mm) brass ball chain and it came with 10 free clasps (insert-type clasps not crimp-type). They were very inexpensive, less than $8 shipped and they arrived quickly. I used a scissors to cut 2 chains to length, attached the clasps and added them to the charm and hangtag on my Rogue - and I gave all the clasps a little squeeze with my pliers - mostly for luck!

The idea is that they will act as a guard chain, like you sometimes see on watches and bracelets to provide a little extra security if the clasp suddenly opens.

I do feel more secure now that I have added extra protection, but I am worried that it may look a little "junky" because there's lot of stuff hanging off the front of my rogue!

Here are some pics of my new "charm/fob/hangtag loss prevention method" please take a look and use the poll to let me know your opinion of this approach, or tell me if you have a different suggestion, thanks!

View attachment 3833827

View attachment 3833828

View attachment 3833830

View attachment 3833833

I think they look great! Can I see what the new insert type clasps look like?

Reactions: katev
I'm on my phone so I can't see the poll. It does not look junky at all, in fact the first picture I didn't even notice them. I like it!

I think it looks fine! I've been wondering where I could buy real brass chain from.

I think they look great! Can I see what the new insert type clasps look like?

Here is the Etsy vendor with pics of the product I bought; I could only find "faceted" ball chain in that small size, not just plain round ball chain - but somebody probably sells it!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/224626478/10-feet-raw-brass-ball-chain-of-facet

The mechanism is the same, it is just the double chain that provides some security.
I also really like the size difference.
Oh speaking of losing hangtag. I just noticed I lost a rust orange hangtag. I only carried the bag once! The chain is hanging on the bag, open. [emoji21] [emoji26] I will never be about to replace it! [emoji24]

Reactions: Raech
It reminds me of the safety chains on watches. View attachment 3834024 I usually take the hang tags off. I don't things dangling from my bags.

Well, that's a good way not to lose them! But I like to decorate my bags (gives me an excuse to buy fobs!) and I like seeing the hangtag because it is integral to the bag's design IMO. But it can be a pain to keep them attached!

I also really like the size difference.
Oh speaking of losing hangtag. I just noticed I lost a rust orange hangtag. I only carried the bag once! The chain is hanging on the bag, open. [emoji21] [emoji26] I will never be about to replace it! [emoji24]

You can try taking the bag to the boutique or the outlet and asking if they might have a hangtag that is a close match, they usually have a pile of miscellaneous hangtags around and you might get lucky!

ETA: If you bought the bag or ebay or other online vendor - don't tell them that - they hate ebay! If they ask where I got it, I usually say it was a gift or I found it at a garage sale - unless I bought it from them, of course!

Last edited: