Poll for Stay At Home Moms: How do you dress everyday?

SAHMs: How do you dress everyday

• I usually dress down: Sweats, jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes.

• I dress casually: Pants, sweaters, button-down shirts, loafers, and minimal jewelry.

• I always dress up: Dresses, skirts, dressier pants & shirts, heels, and a lot of jewelry.

Results are only viewable after voting.

GirlieShoppe

HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
I was just wondering how the SAHMs on this forum dress on a daily basis? I personally know several SAHMs who dress up every day and look very glamorous all the time. I also know women who wear grey fleece sweatsuits all the time. I'm somewhere in the middle: I mainly wear jeans, sweaters, and loafers. I will dress up if I'm going to meet one of my more fashionable friends for lunch.

Last edited:

HauteMama

O.G.
Sep 22, 2006
It depends. Inside the house when I am not expecting guests I dress down and comfortably. But when I go out - even to drop the kids off at school - I always dress nicely. I don't usually wear fancy clothes, but I often wear more casual dresses. I never leave the house in sweats!

cammy1

O.G.
Oct 13, 2006
AT home when only my kiddie is around I mostly wear sweats, but if going out I wear dresses, skinny jeans, sometimes heels, boots and always earrings and my rings. Just trying to be more stylish just cause I am a mom I don't wanna slack!

MissPinkBarbie

~*Live Glamorously*~
O.G.
Sep 25, 2008
NYC
I chose "always dress up.." since I am a fashionable 22 year old [have a 23 month old daughter] (I do have gigs/work occasionally--avg a few days every month--)

At home, I'm not fully done up with "lots of jewelry"..that's not even my style.. I'm in comfy (but cute) clothes.

I go out (brunches, errands, shopping) almost everyday, therefore, I dress up almost everyday! :biggrin:

I don't like the idea of looking "drab" at the store or even going to the post office...lol Besides, it takes me about 20 minutes to get ready so it's not a big deal for me at all to do so! :tup:

GirlieShoppe

HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
I chose "always dress up.." since I am a fashionable 22 year old [have a 23 month old daughter] (I do have gigs/work occasionally--avg a few days every month--)

At home, I'm not fully done up with "lots of jewelry"..that's not even my style.. I'm in comfy (but cute) clothes.

I go out (brunches, errands, shopping) almost everyday, therefore, I dress up almost everyday! :biggrin:

I don't like the idea of looking "drab" at the store or even going to the post office...lol Besides, it takes me about 20 minutes to get ready so it's not a big deal for me at all to do so! :tup:
MissPinkBarbie: If I looked like you and had your figure, I would dress up everyday too! Are you a model?

Feb 2, 2006
I have a 5 1/2 year old and a 4 year old, and I am lucky to be able to work from home...so I consider myself a semi-SAHM. I chose the first option of "dress down." It takes me 30 min to get ready every morning, and I won't leave the house without at least a little eye makeup and blush on (otherwise I'm like a corpse). But, my day-to-day clothing is simple: jeans, sweater, wedding rings, and watch. I might dress it up a bit with nice ankle boots once in awhile.

shop2drop1

On a ball field
Sep 1, 2007
Land of OZ
I would say day to day I dress casually. I go to the gym every morning, so until about noon, you will find me in workout gear. After that if I have no plans to go anywhere, I will wear jeans, sweaters, tunic, leggings. If I have lunch plans or shopping to do I will kick it up a notch & do heels, jewlery, etc. Since I workout each day I always shower & "do" my hair, apply makeup, etc. I'm not one that can workout & just run around town after, I have to shower so I figure I might as well spend the 20 extra minutes & apply makeup & blow out my hair....plus I feel better if I am "put together" for the day....

babygirlbling

J'aime ma vie!
O.G.
I'm somewhere between casual and always dressed up. If I'm staying at home I dress casual but still nice. If I go out then I dress up. I found early on in my kids life that if I took a few minutes for me everyday then I felt much better about myself which makes me a better mom.

I'm somewhere in between casual and dressed up. My hair and makeup are always done whether we go out or not. I have never gone out in sweat pants (not to the supermarket or to drop my son off at school)
As a SHM I think it's so easy to very quickly fall into the frumpy, sloppy trap. Even though I am home with my kids I refuse to look like I just rolled out of bed. I know for me, how I'm dressed truly affects my attitude and outlook on the day.

totally off subject.... but can I add that I am so tired of having to defend my choice to stay home and raise my children. I actually had a friend of mine tell me the other day "I don't know how you do this every day. It's such a thankless job and the salary sucks"
I was speechless. OK, done venting, rant is over. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. it was really bothering me,

GirlieShoppe

HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
totally off subject.... but can I add that I am so tired of having to defend my choice to stay home and raise my children. I actually had a friend of mine tell me the other day "I don't know how you do this every day. It's such a thankless job and the salary sucks"
I was speechless. OK, done venting, rant is over. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. it was really bothering me,
I've also heard similar comments. It's a little irritating when I hear things like, "But you have a degree! Why aren't you working?" I usually answer with something like, "Well, everyone has to decide what is right for their family. Right now, it works best for my family to have me at home full-time. When the time is right, I will start working again." That usually stops them from making any further rude comments.

Feb 10, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I've also heard similar comments. It's a little irritating when I hear things like, "But you have a degree! Why aren't you working?" I usually answer with something like, "Well, everyone has to decide what is right for their family. Right now, it works best for my family to have me at home full-time. When the time is right, I will start working again." That usually stops them from making any further rude comments.

People just don't get sometimes, that resing a child is a job. It is working and working hard