Poll: Do you guys prefer small bags or big bags? Why?

Small vs. Big bags (or medium?)

• Small

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Big

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Medium

Votes: 43 58.1%

• Total voters

twinzluvagrl

IG @sincerelyophelia NYC Fashion & Beauty Blogger
O.G.
Jan 22, 2009
Hi! I just blogged about my preference for small bags. I'd like to do a follow up post about other people's opinions and what better place to find other bag lovers who can talk about this topic than PF! So here are a couple of questions.

1. Small or Big? or Medium sized.
2. Why?

I would love to hear two sides of the spectrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I just blogged about my preference for small bags. I'd like to do a follow up post about other people's opinions and what better place to find other bag lovers who can talk about this topic than PF! So here are a couple of questions.

1. Small or Big? or Medium sized.
2. Why?

I would love to hear two sides of the spectrum.
(You can read my post here to see my point of view and feel free to make arguments.)

1. All of them :nuts:
2. I don't want to choose :smile: Bags to me are equal functionality and style and I need small bags and I need medium bags. When I need larger bags it's often for hiking and kids' stuff so that means backpacks or Envirosax:s. And I like and prefer them all for what I need them for.

When I was younger though, definitely smaller bags for many of the reasons you mentioned on your blog.

1. All of them :nuts:
2. I don't want to choose :smile: Bags to me are equal functionality and style and I need small bags and I need medium bags. When I need larger bags it's often for hiking and kids' stuff so that means backpacks or Envirosax:s. And I like and prefer them all for what I need them for.

When I was younger though, definitely smaller bags for many of the reasons you mentioned on your blog.

Thanks. What do you gravitate towards and use more though?

Medium. To me, medium is equivalent to the Small Longchamp Le Pliage tote or a LV Speedy 25/30 (edit: Speedy 30 is getting on the "large" side, imo). These are enough to carry my wallet, keys, "emergency" kit (explained in next paragraph), a lip gloss, and cellphone. Plus a little more room to carry extra items, if needed.

Small bags I like, but modern keys and cell phones make it hard for me to minimize. I also like to take an "emergency" kit that includes pain relievers (I get headaches easily), feminine products, and a lip balm. I used to not have this "emergency" kit in my purse, until I realized I started wasting money and buying stuff because I needed these things out of the blue when I was carrying a small bag. So these I only use for evenings or quick errands when I'm going on foot.

Large bags I like, too, and I use them everyday because I work full-time. However, I only use these for work and travel; they are too bulky to walk around in on a daily basis. I'll sometimes supplement a small or medium bag with these because I don't like digging around my purse to find what I need.

Also, I prefer to have my larger bags as totes and using coated canvas and or nylon. I hate carrying heavy bags, and if I'm going to schlep a lot, I'd rather not have a bag that adds more weight to the stuff I'm carrying. Small bags I'd rather have in leather.

Last edited:
only small/mini, has always been that way since my teens. 1) i just don't need to feel prepared every second. why carry nonsense and weigh myself down, no need to be mcgyver and have something for every 'what if.' 2) small bags take up less room everywhere you go and just weigh less on the shoulder/arm 3) i heard two quotes many years ago (one from a man) who said he judged women to date based on the size of their handbag. a big bag = low self-esteem and/or high maintenance b/c she needs an arsenal of stuff to feel good about herself. the other quote from Judith Leiber who said that there is no need for a woman to carry their life in their bag, which is why she designed small bags for women. 4) mother's influence, she never carried large bags and i guess i followed her example and instruction somehow

Reactions: twinzluvagrl
i heard two quotes many years ago (one from a man) who said he judged women to date based on the size of their handbag. a big bag = low self-esteem and/or high maintenance b/c she needs an arsenal of stuff to feel good about herself.
:roflmfao:
Did this man ever see a woman wallop some carpark creepy with her mulb bayswater double zip tote?
Wait...guess he'd need to be following me around...

:roflmfao:
Did this man ever see a woman wallop some carpark creepy with her mulb bayswater double zip tote?
Wait...guess he'd need to be following me around...
it's one of those things like wtf.. why does that stay with me instead of more important stuff?? i wasn't even dating him or anything, just a random guy who told me that. i believe i was carrying a small bag at the time and he was referencing a woman with a larger bag.

Medium bags. I used to carry small bags because I only carried credit cards, cash and a phone. However, once I started dating my husband that changed because he used to always ask me for things like tissues or mints and didn't understand why I didn't carry stuff like that in my purse. :cool: So now I usually carry a bag that is about the size of a piece of paper - 8 X 11ish or so.

Thanks. What do you gravitate towards and use more though?
To be honest, no bag :smile: I really prefer SLG etc to just carry in my pockets because for the last couple of years I haven't really been in situations where I needed designer bags, or would dare bring a designer bag. Big dogs, small kids and rural living are not designer bag friendly in my experience. It's funny because when I was younger I would always carry a bag. Preferably a small one, but they were essential.

Now I feel I'm adapting to carrying "grown-up" bags again and I'm making great and speedy progress :biggrin: I also think I may need a couple of more bags in my very humble "collection" before I can decide. Although I still think it'll be a tie between small and medium because I need- and like- both.

You asked a good question. It made me think (out loud : ) about my bag choices :flowers: