• $201,000-500,000

• $501,000 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
A month or so ago, someone posted a report saying what age group was buying designer purses and what they're yearly income was.
I remember being shocked at how much money was spent compared to how much they made. This poll is private so you can be completely honest as I know it's uncouth for a lot of people to discuss their earnings.

How much is your annual household income?

Are you familiar with the Stanford Reaseach Institute's Values and Lifestyles Program? Several decades ago, a group there researched lifestyles and categorized people by the way they lived and consumed. Subsequently, Young & Rubicam, the advertising agency, used the conclusions to target products to specific groups. You can read more about it here: http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC03/SRIVALS.htm

But what's relevant to us is that most luxury items are bought by just two of the nine types of consumers, and those are the emulators and the achievers. Perhaps the "integrateds" will buy them on occasion too, but integrateds aren't interested in status symbols, but they might be attracted to craftsmanship and value.

From the website:
Need-Driven
  • -Survivor lifestyle
  • -Sustainer lifestyle
Outer-Directed
  • -Belonger lifestyle
  • -Emulator lifestyle
  • -Achiever lifestyle
Inner-Directed
  • -I-Am-Me lifestyle
  • -Experiential lifestyle
  • -Societally Conscious lifestyle
Combined Outer- and Inner-Directed
  • -Integrated lifestyle

Interesting!
As of now the results are:

$21,000-45,000 15.00%
$46,000-60,000 5.00%
$61,000-80,000 5.00%
$81,000-100,000 10.00%
$101,000-120,000 10.00%
$150,000-200,000 10.00%
$201,000-500,000 30.00%
$501,000 or more 15%

I think this poll's outcome is going to be determined also by the fact that those who earn more are probably more likely to respond. Or perhaps less likely to respond.

SwankyMamaof3 said:
A month or so ago, someone posted a report saying what age group was buying designer purses and what they're yearly income was.
I remember being shocked at how much money was spent compared to how much they made.

This is so problematic in America... I'm really interested in architecture and urban development and I think a huge, huge part of America's debt problem is this kind of sprawling overgrowth. Entire communities are planned around shopping centers and malls!

I think younger women in their 20's and 30's also don't tend to think about saving (of course there are exceptions but looking at the number of savers versus spenders would validate this generalization). I think we have this feeling of invincibility (rainy days will never come), and of course it's really hard to imagine being at an old age so that you'll need a retirement fund!

IntlSet said:
I think this poll's outcome is going to be determined also by the fact that those who earn more are probably more likely to respond. Or perhaps less likely to respond.

How come?
It's completely anonymous. Why would one category be more likely to respond I wonder?

SwankyMamaof3 said:
How come?
It's completely anonymous. Why would one category be more likely to respond I wonder?

I have no idea! That's just my opinion... I *think* a certain category would be less willing to participate in this situation. But it's generally true of any poll (hey, that public opinion class comes in handy!), regardless or whether or not it's anonymous.

Looks like I'm under the pack, but I'm not too surprised, I would guess that there is a positive correlation between those households with a higher than average household income and visitors of the site.

SwankyMamaof3 said:
How come?

With all respect....:shame:

Completely anonymous or not, I never answer these types of questions. I am extremely private in certain areas of my life, and this is one of them.

So I think IntlSet may be correct in her thinking.

IntlSet said:
I have no idea! That's just my opinion... I *think* a certain category would be less willing to participate in this situation. But it's generally true of any poll (hey, that public opinion class comes in handy!), regardless or whether or not it's anonymous.

Just curious...what certain category was it? LOL