Polishing/Removing Scratches on Brass?

leidon

Apr 25, 2007
Can anyone suggest a way for me to polish/get rid of the scratch marks on the brass of my LV Abbesses? Do LV boutiques repair this type of damage? THANKS!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 15,918
You can try to polish the scratches out yourself, but it takes a lot of time and effort. Expect to have a sore arm the following day!

You can take it to a jeweler and they can have the scratches buffed out in 5 minutes - I have had this done 4 times now.

Louis Vuitton can easily replace this part for you, if you so choose. It'll cost you about $160.00 and a long wait, but it may be worth it to you.

I just recently purchased my Mono Galliera PM...and just used it 3x and I noticed there's already a scratch on the gold brass plate. Is there any way to improve it like make it less obvious or how to protect it from scratches?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I heard using formula 1 scratch out rubbing compound for cars gets scrathces out. I haven't tried yet. I saw here that a womans husband got out scratches on a Louis padlock. Before and after pics were amazing! The scratches were gone and the padlock looked shiney and new. The only thing I didn't understand is she said he also used a slipper in part of the buffing process? What is a slipper? Besides the obvious (slippers to wear) but I assume her husband wasn't using a house slipper?

I read on a thread a womans husband used forumula 1 scratch out. They also mentioned using a slipper to buff? Not sure what they mean by a slipper? Anyone know what a buffing slipper is?

I read on a thread a womans husband used forumula 1 scratch out. They also mentioned using a slipper to buff? Not sure what they mean by a slipper? Anyone know what a buffing slipper is?
Someone from that thread understood it as flip-flops (black colored one) to be rubbed on the lock for buffing. Use the side of the flip flops if I remember it correctly.

Can someone direct me to that thread? I can't find it, and I've exhausted all the search terms I can think of!

I tried to upload a few pics to show using scratch out but I couldn't. I had a really old and beat up Louis Vuitton padlock. It was scratched, scrapped, nicks, all the shine was gone etc. I used scratch out that I got from my local auto parts store and started buffing with and edge of a flip flop. That didn't work well so I used a tooth brush, let it sit and dry, buffed with a jewlery cleaning cloth and repeated the steps several times. The end result was amazing. The padlock looked brand new! I have also used it on some hardware on other Louis's I have and it is amazing. I also tried brasso but it is to gentle for the Louis hardware. It also took forever with not as good results. Feel free to email me and I will send you the before and after pictures of the padlock. The padlock is the same hardware as the hardware on Louis bags. Snaps, zippers, key rings etc [email protected]

I tried to upload a few pics to show using scratch out but I couldn't. I had a really old and beat up Louis Vuitton padlock. It was scratched, scrapped, nicks, all the shine was gone etc. I used scratch out that I got from my local auto parts store and started buffing with and edge of a flip flop. That didn't work well so I used a tooth brush, let it sit and dry, buffed with a jewlery cleaning cloth and repeated the steps several times. The end result was amazing. The padlock looked brand new! I have also used it on some hardware on other Louis's I have and it is amazing. I also tried brasso but it is to gentle for the Louis hardware. It also took forever with not as good results. Feel free to email me and I will send you the before and after pictures of the padlock. The padlock is the same hardware as the hardware on Louis bags. Snaps, zippers, key rings etc [email protected]
You probably couldn't upload the pics because the file sizes were too big. I remember when I first joined TPF I had trouble with that too. Try resizing them to smaller images...somewhere around 1000 pixels should do. I would LOVE to see the pics!

I purchased my Favorite MM Louis Vuitton a week ago today. There is a brass plate on the front of the purse and it already has small scratches all over it. Does this happen to all to all brass pieces on LV? I have been doing a lot of research on how to buff out the scratches, but it looks like you can not do much with chemicals because the brass is lacquered. Can someone please help me. I am looking for sound advise that you have done yourself.

I purchased my Favorite MM Louis Vuitton a week ago today. There is a brass plate on the front of the purse and it already has small scratches all over it. Does this happen to all to all brass pieces on LV? I have been doing a lot of research on how to buff out the scratches, but it looks like you can not do much with chemicals because the brass is lacquered. Can someone please help me. I am looking for sound advise that you have done yourself.

Did you ever find a solution? I just got a Favorite MM and wasn't very careful and got a bunch of scratches on the metal plate. I was thinking of trying the Scratch Out, but now that I'm seeing reviews of it on Amazon, it only has like 3/5 stars so I don't know. There's also several different varieties.

Did you ever find a solution? I just got a Favorite MM and wasn't very careful and got a bunch of scratches on the metal plate. I was thinking of trying the Scratch Out, but now that I'm seeing reviews of it on Amazon, it only has like 3/5 stars so I don't know. There's also several different varieties.

I'm wondering the same thing... keep us posted!

When I first purchased my Berkeley and Thames PM I inquired about Inventeur plate replacements and was quoted $105. That was a couple of years ago, but it shouldn't be much more than that so if the product doesn't work out, you can just always get the entire plate replaced!