Polish peeling off in sheets! Help!

gga

Satans Little Helper
O.G.
Dec 16, 2006
I'm officially baffled. No matter what I do, whether I wrap the tips or not, whether I keep my nails short or not, whether I use a sticky base coat or not, whatever polish brand I choose, within 6-8 hours, the polishes lift off my nails in solid, nail-shaped sheets. It's bizarre. I don't know why this is.

I have tried a dozen different base coats. This happens with all of them. I've tried at least 3 dozen different polish brands. I don't even get a whole day without chipping at best, but usually without the entire polish sheet lifting off.

I am now officially out of ideas. Does anyone have a guess as to what is going on? Am I doing something wrong that I don't know about?

I was having this problem too like a week or two ago. I thought it was my base when getting near empty so I went out and bought the same brand base. I thought I fixed it with a new bottle but nope same issue.

Here is what I did that seemed to work. I buffed my nails used even less cuticle oil than I normally use then I washed my hands and used a nail brush then applied base coat.

I think I just wasn't washing my hands enough before applying base.

I know you are a polish expert... but have you been doing anything different??

it tends to peel off in sheets if its applied to thick and too fast.... and also in a warmer room in temperatures.

I am wondering if any of that is a factor. I am surprised with a stickey base coat..that its peeling off in sheets.

I know you are a polish expert... but have you been doing anything different??

it tends to peel off in sheets if its applied to thick and too fast.... and also in a warmer room in temperatures.

I am wondering if any of that is a factor. I am surprised with a stickey base coat..that its peeling off in sheets.

I am NOTNOTNOT an expert. I have a lot of polishes. That makes me a shopper. Just wanted to make that clear, since I don't want anyone holding back on me here. I don't know jack, peeps.

I don't apply thick, in fact, I apply really thin coats, and as few as possible, but I am applying fast, and there is nowhere to go in my life right now that isn't hot as blazes. My office isn't well ventilated, and my husband keeps our dilapidated mess of an urban tent as un-airconditioned as possible. So everywhere is miserably hot. Now that you mention it, this seems to have started when the weather started getting much hotter. But recently I've been speed-applying my polish between tons of other stuff.

I've had the peelies really bad, and I tried NailEnvy, Nailtiques, Julep, and now NailTek. Nothing is helping the peelies. I think they may be worse. That's one big difference lately. Before this, I used OTD topcoat, and I didn't really have any issues with it.

I was surprised that I had a problem with the sticky base coats too. I tried CND and Orly Bonder.

Thanks for the input.

This used to happen with me and the fix I found is right before painting, do a quick wipe of nail polish remover on the nail bed... removes any oils, lotions, soaps, etc. off my nails. And it seems to help with the nail peeling problem!

Maybe that will help???

okay, so far:

I'm getting a nail brush,

Using a hand scrub before polishing,

Swiping NPR over the nails right before painting. (non-acetone or acetone?) ETA: Thanks, Knas!

Painting with less speed, lol

Painting my nails in a walk-in refrigerator next time I go to my favorite restaurant (ok, so not serious here)

I am NOTNOTNOT an expert. I have a lot of polishes. That makes me a shopper. Just wanted to make that clear, since I don't want anyone holding back on me here. I don't know jack, peeps.

I don't apply thick, in fact, I apply really thin coats, and as few as possible, but I am applying fast, and there is nowhere to go in my life right now that isn't hot as blazes. My office isn't well ventilated, and my husband keeps our dilapidated mess of an urban tent as un-airconditioned as possible. So everywhere is miserably hot. Now that you mention it, this seems to have started when the weather started getting much hotter. But recently I've been speed-applying my polish between tons of other stuff.

I've had the peelies really bad, and I tried NailEnvy, Nailtiques, Julep, and now NailTek. Nothing is helping the peelies. I think they may be worse. That's one big difference lately. Before this, I used OTD topcoat, and I didn't really have any issues with it.

I was surprised that I had a problem with the sticky base coats too. I tried CND and Orly Bonder.

Thanks for the input.

I definitely think the weather has a factor.. I notice if I apply polish when its hot.. it bubbles up alot.. and also peels off in sheets. Also... if you don't let it dry completely it can also bubble up and.... come off in sheets.

okay, so far:

Swiping NPR over the nails right before painting. (non-acetone or acetone?) ETA: Thanks, Knas!

Painting my nails in a walk-in refrigerator next time I go to my favorite restaurant (ok, so not serious here)

:lol::lol:

okay, so far:

:lol:

I agree with the other ladies that if its not from the combo of base coat/top coat then your nails might be too oily

The nail brush and nail polish remover are great ideas. I always swipe zoya remove over my nails before painting.

okay, so far:

Speed as in MPH or speed as in the *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* stuff? (If it's the later, I want in.)