Polish on grained leather? (Alexander McQueen)

charloustone

Jun 30, 2016
Hi all,

I pulled out my Alexander McQueen Padlock the other day to find a horrifying mark on it - I assumed it was mud, but after cleaning twice it didn't budge and actually looks as if someone has split a hot drink or something over it and it's stained/burnt the leather :sad:
image2.JPG

image3.JPG

(Sorry for the huge photo it's off my phone!)

So, I got some leather balm which has beeswax from a lovely dept store here in the UK (John Lewis!) and it seems to have done a really good job on some of the parts but there are two stubborn bits that no matter how much balm I massage in it just seems to dry out or come back after a day or two :sad:

Does anyone know of any polish I could put onto the smaller bits to disguise it? I don't want to put any old polish and ruin it, even though I'd test it on the bottom. If it's not worth the risk, then it's so much better than it was so I can deal with it but I would be so made up if I could get it looking back to normal!

Thanks in advance xxx
image1.JPG

What has worked for me was a fabric marker that I purchased at Joanne Fabric ... Fabric Mate.. even though I used it on leather it worked...I only used black.
I hope this is some help to you.

As leather is porous, I would think rubbing wax on it would just seal in the ick. My high end leather saddles & bridles (some of which are dyed) come in contact with plenty of sweat & dirt. I clean using a liquid leather cleaner or saddle soap (use minimal water), then apply an emollient conditioner which soaks in keep pliable and prevent cracking. Hope you get the results you want. :smile:

As leather is porous, I would think rubbing wax on it would just seal in the ick. My high end leather saddles & bridles (some of which are dyed) come in contact with plenty of sweat & dirt. I clean using a liquid leather cleaner or saddle soap (use minimal water), then apply an emollient conditioner which soaks in keep pliable and prevent cracking. Hope you get the results you want. :smile:

Also my master saddler says a good olive oil works in a pinch.