Pointers on how to tell apart different PS1 sizes

Deco

O.G.
Aug 16, 2006
Hello everyone. This is my first post in this subforum. I've been searching for a PS1 bag for a few months and have encountered a challenge unique to this search. It seems many sellers have no clue what size PS1 they're selling. Being inexperienced, I have no clue either, but I often feel their description can't be right.

The challenge is telling apart the Medium from the Large from the Extra Large, for these 2 reasons that I've noticed:

1. The PS1 is for whatever reason extremely hard to measure. While measurements should be objective, there appears to be vast subjectivity in how PS1s are measured; with the bag flattened, filled to the brim, the folds stretched taut, etc. It's rare to find people list the same measurements on the same size bag. The variations are big enough to straddle the official posted measurements of two different sizes.

2. There aren't easy tell-tale signs to help inexperienced buyers distinguish one bag size from another based only on photos. All three bag sizes look identical, except for their dimensions.

I have a big collection of Balenciaga bags that are similarly slouchy and unstructured, but I've always been able to tell the sizes and models apart. There's no controversy on how to measure Balenciaga bags. What I'm noticing with PS1s is people misidentifying sizes, and their posted measurements really don't help.

One thing I've noticed is that the Extra Large exterior back pocket does not have a zipper. At least I think that's a distinguishing feature of the Extra Large. I've lost count of how many of these bags I've seen described as Large. Maybe they're right and both the Large and Extra Large come with and without the back pocket zipper depending on the year. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know.

I've come here in the hopes of getting some pointers on specific, objective ways to tell PS1 sizes apart, short of kinda eyeballing the sizes in the photos and relying on wildly subjective measurements. Are there stitching or hardware differences between these three sizes? Am I right that only the Extra Large has the open back pocket? Are there any other such clear marks that distinguish the Medium from the Large from the Extra Large? Please help a newbie out.

Meanwhile, on the strength of my educated guess about the Extra Large back pocket, I just purchased this bag that was listed as a size Large. https://www.ebay.com/itm/362656746228 Please tell me I did good!

The Extra Large also comes with two shoulder straps, and different rings to hook them to - the XL has a sort of a double elongated ring, to accomodate two straps.

I checked the listing you referred to, and yes, it is indeed an XL, you were right :smile: In the last picture you can see the ring, altough it's a bit small. But there should have been a second strap with hooks, like the usual strap all other PS1 bags come with. The strap the bag in the listing comes with is the second strap that the XL bag has, it is a bit different, as you can see, it does't have hooks, instead it has buttons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deco
Thank you for the confirmation and for pointing out the strap and ring features on the XL.

If an XL comes with only one strap it means the other one with the hooks is missing?

The XL has always been the same through the seasons, flat back pocket and dual straps.

Here's an older pic of my PS1 Pouch-medium-large-XL sizes
l1010652-jpg.1408472

Reactions: IntheOcean and Deco
There's also a great comparison thread in the PS Reference lib here: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/side-by-side-comparison-pics.675832/
Thank you for the photo and the link. Figuring out relative sizes is not difficult when the bags are placed side by side. But bag listings don't show multiple bags in comparison to one another. There are photos of one single bag, frequently without frame of reference to anything else. You have to know what size bag you're looking at in isolation, without the benefit of juxtaposition to other sized bags. And I've been stumped many times. A bag that claims to be Medium looks Large, and vice versa. I've even found a listing of a bag that claims to be Tiny, and I swear it looks like a Large to me. I can't always trust the description in the listing (refer to the bag I just bought), and my untrained eyes are easily confused. I'm trying to find ways to idiot-proof my search. The examples of open pockets, double straps, and larger rings are the types of concrete, stand-alone differences I'm hoping to find that would distinguish the Medium from the Large. Maybe there are no such differences.

Thank you for the photo and the link. Figuring out relative sizes is not difficult when the bags are placed side by side. But bag listings don't show multiple bags in comparison to one another. There are photos of one single bag, frequently without frame of reference to anything else. You have to know what size bag you're looking at in isolation, without the benefit of juxtaposition to other sized bags. And I've been stumped many times. A bag that claims to be Medium looks Large, and vice versa. I've even found a listing of a bag that claims to be Tiny, and I swear it looks like a Large to me. I can't always trust the description in the listing (refer to the bag I just bought), and my untrained eyes are easily confused. I'm trying to find ways to idiot-proof my search. The examples of open pockets, double straps, and larger rings are the types of concrete, stand-alone differences I'm hoping to find that would distinguish the Medium from the Large. Maybe there are no such differences.
The Medium and Large are the same except for size. In a good pic looking straight onto the back of the bag the Large is more square shaped. This is how I do it.

Reactions: IntheOcean and Deco
Another pointer I just randomly came across while browsing this thread: the Large (here in the color Military) has a wider back pocket. You can see the zipper on the back coming almost all the way to the rivet that connects the flap with the body of the bag. On the Medium (here in Saddle), however, the zipper is smaller and there's, I would say, about half an inch between the end of the zipper and the rivet.

medlargezippers01.jpg

Last edited:
Another pointer I just randomly came across while browsing this thread: the Large (here in the color Military) has a wider back pocket. You can see the zipper on the back coming almost all the way to the rivet that connects the flap with the body of the bag. On the Medium (here in Saddle), however, the zipper is smaller and there's, I would say, about half an inch between the end of the zipper and the rivet.

View attachment 4441581
Brilliant!!! Good eye!

View attachment 4441581
Ocean, you have no idea how much joy and relief you've brought me with that zipper sleuth stunt. Here's an example of a bag currently listed as a Large. Eyeballing the photos from the front, I could be convinced it's a Large. Based on @Elliespurse's hint to look for a more square back, I can see that it looks like a Medium. Your zipper clue confirms it's a Medium. On the Large, the zipper extends well beyond the vertical stitching in the panel above. On the Medium, it extends beyond the vertical stitch lines by just a hair.

Hooray for the objective zipper length metric!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proenza-sc...735709?hash=item3d8b29299d:g:-3EAAOSwLYhc4DD3

upload_2019-5-23_15-19-11.png

Reactions: IntheOcean
Ocean, you have no idea how much joy and relief you've brought me with that zipper sleuth stunt.
Thank you, and you're very welcome :smile: The bag in the listing is indeed a Medium. I think the bag in the picture is appearing more square-shaped because it's flat. If it were filled with stuff, it would be rounder and not so tall. But yes, it is very hard to tell a Medium and a Large apart. I would've looked at the first picture in the listing and thought it was a Large, too, since the seller claims it is.

Reactions: Deco
Hi,
I've had a lot of issues too in terms of sizing. Check out my new video where I compare the Mini PS1 and the PS1 +MED:

Wait, is that a Mini or a Pouch? It definitely looked like a Pouch from the front. The Mini comes without the front pocket. The regular Pouch also has a zipped pocket in the back, but I'm guessing since this one is a Limited Edition, it doesn't have that? So confusing.

Also, I wanted to add this: thanks for the What Fits part, I love those kinds of videos. The PS1+ interior is amazing, I know many people don't like compartments and prefer to have just one big opening, but the compartments are the main feature that drew me to this bag to begin with. And the fact that the PS1+ has one more compartment is awesome.

Wait, is that a Mini or a Pouch? It definitely looked like a Pouch from the front. The Mini comes without the front pocket. The regular Pouch also has a zipped pocket in the back, but I'm guessing since this one is a Limited Edition, it doesn't have that? So confusing.
OMG! Thank you for pointing that out! You are correct! I looked at the tag it says PS1 Pouch double sided 2 tone! I'll will correct this right away. Thanks for watching :heart:

Reactions: IntheOcean