Tech Pocketables?

Jan 20, 2006
Fidalgo Island
I'm interested in an ultra small, lightweight laptop, a pound or under for my two week travelling and non stop security checkpoints. I don't mind the tiny size since that is one of the priorities for me (I can type fine with it) and need the clamshell design. I already have a desktop, regular size laptop and netbook for shorter trips. Does anyone have one or can recommend which manufacturer? Umid has one, but there's no where around here to test it out. I liked the 1.5 lb Sony P, but the even smaller machines are more enticing to me now. I have my phone for basic internet, but I need a laptop to run specific programs.

Last edited:

ILuvShopping

★☆★★☆★★☆★
Jun 4, 2007
Iowa
unfortunately i think ultra small + lightweight only comes in one thing - a netbook.
from my experiences with looking for lightweight laptops, they're usually more expensive than most.

there are lots of threads in here about netbooks, if that's what you're looking for

Jan 20, 2006
Fidalgo Island
I have a netbook, the asus eee and did alot of research on those before purchasing. I love it, but on my longer trips, I can even go lighter (2.5 pounds/9" screen vs under a pound/5-6" screen). I'm interested in the pocketables which fall under the Mobile Internet device category, but is fully functioning like a netbook. If it wasn't for this one program I need access to for work, Id only carry my iPhone (or even another smartphone), but it won't work on it. The UMID M1 and BZ are examples. I know Fujitsu has one, and another Japanese manufacturer, but can't remember the name. Unfortunately most of the electronics stores don't have them yet so you can't try them out.