Pochette Metis Empreinte or Hermes Kelly?

What bag should I buy?

• LV Pochette Metis in Marine Rouge

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Hermes Kelly in Blue Sapphire

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Sell bags and get both

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Get no bags, save!

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters
Dec 11, 2006
Hi everyone,

Would appreciate the advice. I've been wanting the PM empreinte and eyeing the Marine Rouge as it is a good functional crossbody bag with little ones. I'm going to Paris in May and wanted to take advantage of the lower price, especially with current exchange rates.

However, I also now have the opportunity to buy an excellent condition Hermes Kelly Retourne 35 in blue sapphire fjord leather for $5,800. I never thought I would ever own one of the ultimate classics (to me a B or a K) because I am not comfortable spending $10k+ on a bag (I do have one Evelyn). Mind you, I am 5'3" on a good day. From photos, the softer leather and slimmer shape does seem ok for a more petite frame. I love love blue bags and this color.

I only have one Hermes bag (Evelyn in blue electric), and never thought I would ever own one of the ultimate classics (to me a B or a K) because I am not comfortable spending $10k+ on a bag. I personally am not fond of the B due to the size as a handbag but have had a soft spot for the Kelly.

However, I do sadly live in reality! I currently have a lot of house construction projects however which are already expensive. I also just bought an expensive piece of jewelry and have a baby on the way (read: baby = more expenses!). I have larger bags already but I don't know if this could be my only opportunity to get a classic H in excellent condition for the price of a Chanel. But I feel guilty for spending so much with everything going on.

Anyone know if this is a deal that comes up from time to time? I'm pretty unknowledgeable when it comes to H. I considered selling some bags that I don't use much, but the resale seems so low that I feel like I might as well keep it. Maybe DD will wear them!

The two are drastically different imo and I would say if you have a chance to get a Kelly bag for that price then I would say snatch it up.

I agree that the Birkin would be cumbersome because I am also not a fan of hand carry. But at least the Kelly bag has the longer strap for shoulder wear. I wouldn't want to spend over $10K either.

I think the PM Empreinte popularity will ultimately fade with time. The K and B are classic bags that are investment quality and they will probably not go down in value for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong I love the look of the PM and LV overall, and will still keep purchasing from them. But if it were me I would go for the Kelly! It's a no brainer to me - but just my opinion. I'm being your enabler!

But realistically, if you are uncomfortable with house projects that you have to pay for and a baby on the way (yes very expensive) then it might be best to wait. GL deciding!

I much prefer the Kelly over the Birkin, so I m tempted to say "Get the Kelly!". :loveeyes: However, I must point out that the price you quoted is good but not great. The bag better be in **excellent** condition and from recent production. Of course, if money should be allocated to other household or baby expenses, then you should probably pass... 5K is a lot of money to spend on a bag when one has other financial priorities.

Whatever you decide, I look forward to read about it.

From your post it sounds like it's on your HG list...I wouldn't pass it up if you love the color and the bag is in good condition. :smile:

Good luck with your decision!

I much prefer the Kelly over the Birkin, so I m tempted to say "Get the Kelly!". :loveeyes: However, I must point out that the price you quoted is good but not great. The bag better be in **excellent** condition and from recent production. Of course, if money should be allocated to other household or baby expenses, then you should probably pass... 5K is a lot of money to spend on a bag when one has other financial priorities.

Whatever you decide, I look forward to read about it.

Yes $5K (almost $6k) is a lot even if it is a lot less than retail. The production year was 2000, and the seller (a fellow tpfer) bought it preowned from a reseller in 2010. It does look to be in excellent condition with very minor wear to two corners. The leather has softened but I don't think the bag has lost its shape.

Do you have recommendations on where to buy an Hermes Kelly within this kind of budget? I don't really have a good sense whether this is a really really good price. I mostly just see Kellys $10K and up.

Thank you!

The two are drastically different imo and I would say if you have a chance to get a Kelly bag for that price then I would say snatch it up.

I agree that the Birkin would be cumbersome because I am also not a fan of hand carry. But at least the Kelly bag has the longer strap for shoulder wear. I wouldn't want to spend over $10K either.

I think the PM Empreinte popularity will ultimately fade with time. The K and B are classic bags that are investment quality and they will probably not go down in value for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong I love the look of the PM and LV overall, and will still keep purchasing from them. But if it were me I would go for the Kelly! It's a no brainer to me - but just my opinion. I'm being your enabler!

But realistically, if you are uncomfortable with house projects that you have to pay for and a baby on the way (yes very expensive) then it might be best to wait. GL deciding!

True the PM will likely go out over time although still wearable. Definitely not as timeless though. Do you think the 35 is a good size for a shortie? I would likely wear it casually and not use it formally.

I'd seriously consider your financial responsibilities first. If you can still live & breathe comfortably with the K purchase then go for it. GL deciding.

Yea you're right. I wouldn't go into debt or anything but it would hit our budget at a time that it's already being hit.

I keep oscillating. It is definitely a want as I definitely have a lot of bags already, mostly LV and Chanel.

"I feel guilty for spending so much with everything going on."
Sometimes it helps to reread what we write.
Fact-reno's can be very expensive. I'm sure you can look at what you've allocated so far and see how it could be an LV or a Hermes.
New baby-you are going to be quite busy with a little one and a reno, adding to the cost as you are well aware. Perhaps ask yourself if you are going to have a chance to use a Hermes for the next couple years to justify the cost, funds which could be allocated toward reno, baby, retirement or college fund? It's tough having a fancy handbag and juggling baby stuff. At least I couldn't do it, I used a leather coach backpack as my kid started to unbuckle and become a runner! I'm well aware everyone is different, and I'm not judging anyone.
I'm not saying give up on indulging yourself, but I am suggesting you may want to reevaluate priorities at this point in time. If all else, perhaps have a discussion on finances with your significant other, that way you are both on the same page.
Keep in mind, none of us here know your circumstances...financial or otherwise. So, you and your spouse should be the ones discussing finances. Obviously you are in a purse forum and we all love handbags and could/would easily encourage a good deal.
Good luck. Have a fantastic trip, and best wishes with the baby!

Yes $5K (almost $6k) is a lot even if it is a lot less than retail. The production year was 2000, and the seller (a fellow tpfer) bought it preowned from a reseller in 2010. It does look to be in excellent condition with very minor wear to two corners. The leather has softened but I don't think the bag has lost its shape.

Do you have recommendations on where to buy an Hermes Kelly within this kind of budget? I don't really have a good sense whether this is a really really good price. I mostly just see Kellys $10K and up.

Thank you!
Since you are going to Paris, save your money and walk over to one of the Hermès boutiques. Chances are you can find a brand new Kelly on the spot for a just a little bit more money (keep in mind you get 12% back with the VAT refund). Contrary to popular belief, it's not unusual to be able to buy a Kelly by simply walking in the store and asking for it.

Since you are going to Paris, save your money and walk over to one of the Hermès boutiques. Chances are you can find a brand new Kelly on the spot for a just a little bit more money (keep in mind you get 12% back with the VAT refund). Contrary to popular belief, it's not unusual to be able to buy a Kelly by simply walking in the store and asking for it.

I'll be going with family, so I'm reluctant to spend a whole morning or more to chance it. Also I heard on tpf here that Hermes doesn't typically offer H or B to Chinese tourists due to the perception of counterfeiters. I wonder if I would be profiled since I am Chinese American.

"I feel guilty for spending so much with everything going on."
Sometimes it helps to reread what we write.
Fact-reno's can be very expensive. I'm sure you can look at what you've allocated so far and see how it could be an LV or a Hermes.
New baby-you are going to be quite busy with a little one and a reno, adding to the cost as you are well aware. Perhaps ask yourself if you are going to have a chance to use a Hermes for the next couple years to justify the cost, funds which could be allocated toward reno, baby, retirement or college fund? It's tough having a fancy handbag and juggling baby stuff. At least I couldn't do it, I used a leather coach backpack as my kid started to unbuckle and become a runner! I'm well aware everyone is different, and I'm not judging anyone.
I'm not saying give up on indulging yourself, but I am suggesting you may want to reevaluate priorities at this point in time. If all else, perhaps have a discussion on finances with your significant other, that way you are both on the same page.
Keep in mind, none of us here know your circumstances...financial or otherwise. So, you and your spouse should be the ones discussing finances. Obviously you are in a purse forum and we all love handbags and could/would easily encourage a good deal.
Good luck. Have a fantastic trip, and best wishes with the baby!

You are right. This would be baby 2, and DD is about to start daycare and baby 2 will need daycare as well. Not to mention general expenses and college like you say. It feels like maybe I can get this one and then be really good. Ha DH would say we should just be good now.

We could swing it although DH is not encouraging of this idea; he not wrongly says there's always another bag. I just don't know if I will have another chance to get a K for a good price and in a color I really like.

I'll be going with family, so I'm reluctant to spend a whole morning or more to chance it. Also I heard on tpf here that Hermes doesn't typically offer H or B to Chinese tourists due to the perception of counterfeiters. I wonder if I would be profiled since I am Chinese American.
I m unaware of such informal policy regarding the perceived origin of the client. But since you plan on stopping by Louis Vuitton, i would definitely take a chance on Hermès too. Before you drop almost 6K on a 17 year old bag, you might want to check what you can get brand new for about the same amount of money. If nothing is available, you will have other opportunities in life to get a used Kelly. At least that's what I would do!