Pls Help: Seller insists on using the most expensive shipping....

bagbury

Jan 23, 2009
Hi all,

Need some advice.. An ebay seller has asked me to pay via paypal without going through ebay. We have agreed on US$ 50 for shipping but then, she asked me to top up another US$ 80 again if I want to have tracking number. If I don't pay 80, she refused to sell the item to me.

Is it normal to pay US$ 130 for shipping from USA to Asia? I've seek advice from another US-based powerseller and the powerseller told me, with US$ 50, there will be tracking number.

I am confused... and the seller doesnt want to sell to me if I dont top up US$ 80 but we've already agreed on the price and cost yet she changed her mind... :sad:

Oh my, I'm in a situation almost the same as your! I hope it's not the same seller?? The seller wants me to top up around $ 80-90 but I've previously purchased from other sellers in the US and none ever charge me more than $50 before.

By the way, what did you bid / buy? You mind sharing with me which seller ? Thanks..

I'd tell both sellers absolutely not. That I would only pay the agreed upon shipping as per terms of the ebay listing and that I would only pay through ebay.

And if not, I wouldn't do the transaction, and I'd report them as a non-performing seller and attempting to extort extra money outside of ebay.

1. If you don't go through eBay, you won't have the same kinds of buyer protection as if you do.
2. Don't do business with someone who's already trying to scam you.

If you learn anything at all on this particular forum, it is do not buy privately. Go through ebay and go through Paypal. If Seller does not want to, move on. Not worth the loss of money and the stress.

Omg! $130 for shipping with tracking??? How heavy is the item? I've received items from US, Canada and UK before(to Singapore), but never have I paid $130 for shipping.
Even with EMS shipping rates wouldn't be that high.....

Have you paid for the item op? Did you check/read the seller feedbacks???

I think it is best is for you to report to ebay and not to go ahead with the transaction.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice...

The seller doesnt know my pain. Though I haven't paid for the item, it's a Chanel bag that I wanted to buy for my mom for Christmas. I've saved quite a while for a bag for her and I've even shown my mom the photos . My mom was overjoyed and I believe she can't wait to receive the bag too. I am very sad... :sad:

Her feedback is ok. I really don't wish to believe she's the kind of seller who will scam and she also said she's been around for more than a decade doing business in ebay. Yet, this happens...

The item is only one chanel bag . And i've been repeatedly told, 50 + 80 is too much... I hope she gives me more clarification before I report.. It's hard to believe she can't ship at $50..

Omg! $130 for shipping with tracking??? How heavy is the item? I've received items from US, Canada and UK before(to Singapore), but never have I paid $130 for shipping.
Even with EMS shipping rates wouldn't be that high.....

Have you paid for the item op? Did you check/read the seller feedbacks???

I think it is best is for you to report to ebay and not to go ahead with the transaction.

Yep...I hear you Ms P.... but i just didnt wanna disappoint my mom.. *sob* So irrational of me to try to have a deal with the seller still...

If you learn anything at all on this particular forum, it is do not buy privately. Go through ebay and go through Paypal. If Seller does not want to, move on. Not worth the loss of money and the stress.

This is the part that made me feel uncomfortable. she's already extorting $ outside ebay (saving her quite a bit on ebay fees) , yet she wants me to top up another 80 on top of the 50..

I'd tell both sellers absolutely not. That I would only pay the agreed upon shipping as per terms of the ebay listing and that I would only pay through ebay.

And if not, I wouldn't do the transaction, and I'd report them as a non-performing seller and attempting to extort extra money outside of ebay.

Thanks all for the advice...

The seller doesnt know my pain. Though I haven't paid for the item, it's a Chanel bag that I wanted to buy for my mom for Christmas. I've saved quite a while for a bag for her and I've even shown my mom the photos . My mom was overjoyed and I believe she can't wait to receive the bag too. I am very sad... :sad:

Her feedback is ok. I really don't wish to believe she's the kind of seller who will scam and she also said she's been around for more than a decade doing business in ebay. Yet, this happens...

If she has the bag listed on eBay, and you're going to buy this bag no matter what, make the purchase through eBay only - when you're spending $$$ on something like an expensive Chanel & not buying from the boutique, do it in the way that presents the least amount of risk for you.

I agree with IrisCole. Complete the transaction through ebay only. Better be safe than sorry.

Maybe you could ask her the courier she choose, weight of the package, with/without insurance since she already mention the tracking part, maybe the link to to postal service that she use to calculate these.

I'm not entirely sure about shipping FROM the the US TO Asia, but I purchased a bag from seller in SE Asia (Singapore) last spring and she shipped via EMS (Speedpost). I believe I paid around $90. I was actually surprised at how high the shipping rates were, but I verified the amount on the Speedpost website & this was correct. Granted, I was purchasing a heavier bag (around 5 pounds), but I suspect the insurance on your bag is one of the reasons for the higher than normal shipping charge (my bag was only insured for around $1k - I suspect your Chanel is more than that).

Altho I do find it odd that she's asking for $80 just for a tracking number? Perhaps she's meaning insurance rather that just simple tracking?

I will say this about the EMS/Speed Post - the shipping was extraordinarily fast. She sent the bag out on Monday and I had it on Wednesday!