Votes: 9 24.3%
  • LV Alma bb

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Valentino Glamlock

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters

louisa123

Feb 11, 2017
Hey guys! I really need some help here. I can't choose between these 3 because I love all of them, but I can only get one. :sad: What I'm looking for is something that I can use as a casual yet classy piece from day to night, as well as suitable for dinners. It's going to be my very first red bag too!

I love the Gucci (especially the chain!!) but I get the feeling that it's kinda small. I've coveted the Alma BB for ages but people always tell me that it's not as versatile and the shape is a little too mature to be bringing out casually. As for the valentino, I'm just afraid that I would have to baby it tremendously and i'm kinda worried about the calfskin wear and tear as well as potential scuffs on the studs :sad:

Please do help me HAHA basically I would like a casual yet dressy piece! :biggrin:

3285982-d716d85cba3f203604daef8e149a5483.jpg
3285983-f5101aa69d76548beeca1f64db6dc86a.jpg
louis-vuitton-alma-bb-monogram-vernis-leather-icons--M90174_PM2_Front view.jpg

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 845
Reactions: ammosthete
From what you've written, it sounds like you like the Gucci the best, but haven't actually seen it in person to decide if it will be too small or not. I'd say go to the stores and take some mod shots. Then try switching your things into the bags to see what fits and what doesn't.

Here are my thoughts on the bags:

I have always loved an Alma, and personally don't think it has a "mature shape". It is a truly classic bag and hasn't ever gone out of style, in fact, it has even seen a bit of an up-spike in its's popularity lately. I don't think you could go wrong here!

The Rock Stud bags are cute, seems like it's just trendy and honestly leans towards biker chick to me. I'm not into biker chic so not into the rock stud trend. I'm a little biased here.

The Gucci is is cute, but looks from the picture to be about the size of a large phone. It looks like a copy of an LV steamer trunk piece and I cant say I'm super fond of the gig all over it. It makes it look a bit busy. Although, I can see this dressing up and down really well, jeans and booties, or a pretty dress or slacks and a crisp white button down. The shape is darling but the size is a factor. Can a phone, keys, wallet, and lip balm fit inside?!

Anyway, I hope my opinion helps. Good luck, and I'd love to see some mod shots of each one.

From what you've written, it sounds like you like the Gucci the best, but haven't actually seen it in person to decide if it will be too small or not. I'd say go to the stores and take some mod shots. Then try switching your things into the bags to see what fits and what doesn't.

Here are my thoughts on the bags:

I have always loved an Alma, and personally don't think it has a "mature shape". It is a truly classic bag and hasn't ever gone out of style, in fact, it has even seen a bit of an up-spike in its's popularity lately. I don't think you could go wrong here!

The Rock Stud bags are cute, seems like it's just trendy and honestly leans towards biker chick to me. I'm not into biker chic so not into the rock stud trend. I'm a little biased here.

The Gucci is is cute, but looks from the picture to be about the size of a large phone. It looks like a copy of an LV steamer trunk piece and I cant say I'm super fond of the gig all over it. It makes it look a bit busy. Although, I can see this dressing up and down really well, jeans and booties, or a pretty dress or slacks and a crisp white button down. The shape is darling but the size is a factor. Can a phone, keys, wallet, and lip balm fit inside?!

Anyway, I hope my opinion helps. Good luck, and I'd love to see some mod shots of each one.

Thanks so much for your input!

Yup I've seen the Gucci in real life and although it can fit very basic stuff, it can't fit a long wallet, which actually in my case is what I am looking for cause I'm sort of tired having to take out all my cards and stuff everytime i switch bags. They have a larger version which is far too big for me (I'm 5"2) though.

Do you think the rockstud trend will wear off soon? Or that the rock studs are not really a classical piece? Personally I think the alma bb is the best investment but it doesn't look very "dinner appropriate" ie if I am bringing it to a formal dinner function and stuff right?

*sigh* I really feel that Valentino bags are not where it's at unless you have a lot of disposable income for "fun" bags that you might tire of in six months. They just scream "trendy" to me. That Gucci is gorgeous, and I feel that the Alma is very versatile. I don't see it as being limited to certain occasions. I think the Alma would have my vote as the Gucci looks pretty tiny....it would work for evenings out unless you have a large phone or want to accommodate a full wallet. The Alma is a classic shape and works day to night, imo.

Reactions: Selenet
Hi,

I am lover of Valentino glam locks over Gucci. I think they are classic Valentino and are a modern staple. Gucci on the other hand is extremely trendy imo and doesn't have staying power as the styles change so rapidly. The alma is cute but strictly a casual piece imo as the handles, straps etc can be too much for evening dressy wear. I have 3 glam locks and I find they amazing to go from casual to night. The studs honestly just add a little flavor. I could be biased as I'm a flap lover also

1) The Alma is versatile in that it has top handles and a removable shoulder strap (although personally I can't carry Vernis as I wouldn't know how to pull it off with my own aesthetic). I don't think it's easy to dress down patent leather.

2) Even if the Valentino Glam Lock is Biker Chic it can still go dressy quite easily as the oversized studs look like jewelry and not necessarily true "rock" studs. That chain strap is just divine. Plus, it's the signature Valentino red.

3) The most casual piece is the Gucci Padlock because of the print. It would make it trickier to dress up (though not impossible).

I think the Rockstud is here to stay. There isn't much else defining Valentino accessories and leather goods. My vote was for the Glam Lock as it's able to go dressy and casual (or to dress up casual).

Edit: I just found these videos on Youtube. Maybe they could be helpful?

Last edited:
Reactions: missie1
Thanks so much for your input!

Yup I've seen the Gucci in real life and although it can fit very basic stuff, it can't fit a long wallet, which actually in my case is what I am looking for cause I'm sort of tired having to take out all my cards and stuff everytime i switch bags. They have a larger version which is far too big for me (I'm 5"2) though.

Do you think the rockstud trend will wear off soon? Or that the rock studs are not really a classical piece? Personally I think the alma bb is the best investment but it doesn't look very "dinner appropriate" ie if I am bringing it to a formal dinner function and stuff right?

None of these bags can fit a long wallet unless you go with the larger sizes. I own an Alma BB in red vernis leather and I own a Small Valentino Glamlock in a nudey-pink color. I feel that the Valentino is the bag that can most easily transition from day to night wear. It would probably be a bit easier to scratch since it is smooth leather but I think if you take care of the bag that it should be fine. I have never scratched mine. I don't baby it but I don't sling it around either. So I wouldn't say they scratch easily but they are probably more prone to scratching then the Alma and Gucci simply based on leather type. I also think the rockstud bags are a staple for Valentino now. I love that the rockstud bags have just that right amount of edge. They don't go overboard.

The Gucci Padlock is a version of an older design from the 1950s so very classic just with the modern twist of the signature leather and the perfect bright colour. The leather is durable and Gucci's hw is always first rate. That would be my choice, in fact I have its related bag in black lizard.

I don't like the LV Alma best because it's just a tiny bit too shiny for me BUT I don't think the shape is 'mature' at all, it's fabulous, and the BB size is perfect for dinner dates etc

Not in love with the V but it looks very nice. I suppose it's more a normal kind of a bag with edgy hw. If you're worry about it dating don't get it but for me that wouldn't be a problem because if I like something I like it forever.

All are great bags for whatever occasion

Casting my vote for Valentino as I believe you will get the most value and wear out of it. I have some strong opinions on the options, so won't be mincing my words!

Gucci is trending right now, but who knows what its ultimate longevity is? There was a moment in time (2000s, recession) where Gucci was considered crass and over the top. Now that trends are shifting away from minimalism and they've got a fresh CD at the helm, Gucci is back in style... but it might not be for long.

The LV shape is classic, but looks childish in its mini-shape. Too much like a gummy toy—or like if Mommy bought her little girl an LV Alma to match— especially when it's both cherry red AND shiny AND tiny. If you are looking for casual and classy, this isn't it. Alma would be better in its larger form, which is mature, but has longevity and staying power (especially in a matte epi leather or a muted patent leather color).

Valentino gets my vote. It's got edgy embellishments but a classic shape. The shape keeps it in style no matter what the season or trend, but the embellishments make it just interesting enough. The bag lacks logos, and its embellishments hit the sweet spot—not SO embellished that it wouldn't be able to stand on its own in a minimalist fashion climate, but thanks to the hardware, not so nondescript that you would lose out on brand recognition. Last but not least, not as many people own this style so it'll be fairly unique.

Good luck! It's a tough choice!

Hey guys! I really need some help here. I can't choose between these 3 because I love all of them, but I can only get one. :sad: What I'm looking for is something that I can use as a casual yet classy piece from day to night, as well as suitable for dinners. It's going to be my very first red bag too!

I love the Gucci (especially the chain!!) but I get the feeling that it's kinda small. I've coveted the Alma BB for ages but people always tell me that it's not as versatile and the shape is a little too mature to be bringing out casually. As for the valentino, I'm just afraid that I would have to baby it tremendously and i'm kinda worried about the calfskin wear and tear as well as potential scuffs on the studs :sad:

Please do help me HAHA basically I would like a casual yet dressy piece! :biggrin:

View attachment 3602995

None of these bags can fit a long wallet unless you go with the larger sizes. I own an Alma BB in red vernis leather and I own a Small Valentino Glamlock in a nudey-pink color. I feel that the Valentino is the bag that can most easily transition from day to night wear. It would probably be a bit easier to scratch since it is smooth leather but I think if you take care of the bag that it should be fine. I have never scratched mine. I don't baby it but I don't sling it around either. So I wouldn't say they scratch easily but they are probably more prone to scratching then the Alma and Gucci simply based on leather type. I also think the rockstud bags are a staple for Valentino now. I love that the rockstud bags have just that right amount of edge. They don't go overboard.

Hey I am just about convinced to get the valentino, but how's the leather wear and tear though? Do you think that getting the textured leather would be a better choice rather than the smooth leather? I went to selfridges yesterday to have a look and even the display pieces had signs of sagging around the clasp :sad:

View attachment 3602995
I prefer the Alma bb ! Classic shape with not alot on going on . I like a more simple bag and design . :smile: Still has a bit of glam to it too . Good luck deciding .

First as previously stated, you won't be able to use a long wallet for these. I would say Gucci first then lv. I like the lv Alma. But the alma in vernis is more evening formal
Imo. Not that it couldn't be worn during day but it's definitely less casual. Gucci and lv are classic styles. Valentino more trendy and casual imo.