Pls help me pick a pair of diamond studs from bluenile!

surfergirljen

Ooooh, pretty!
O.G.
Feb 24, 2009
Okay ladies - pls weigh in ... would you get pair #1 or pair #2? :P I can't decide! All are exc/exc all across the board... the question is do I trade size for "signature ideal" cut? Or stick with "ideal" (GIA certified "excellent" cut) and get .10 bigger per earring? It would seem cut and dry (go bigger!) except everyone says cut cut cut... I just wonder how much difference there is between blue nile "sig. ideal" and "ideal". Help! :smile: There's a bit of price difference here too but not quite enough to make the decision for me. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Diamond Earrings #1

Your Diamonds:
Ideal-cut, G-colour, VS2-clarity
Total Carat Weight: 1.40

Your Setting:
Four-Prong Earrings in Platinum

Price: C$5,452.00 Setting: C$460.00 Diamonds: C$4,992.00

OR

Diamond Earrings #2

Your Diamonds:
Signature Ideal-cut, G-colour, VS2-clarity
Total Carat Weight: 1.20

Price: C$4,625.00 Setting: C$460.00 Diamonds: C$4,165

I'm not sure how they determine cut, but here are true ideal cut parameters you can look for with each diamond:

Depth: 60-62.4
Table: 54-57

If the ideal diamonds fall into those ranges, I think you should be fine.

Either pair sounds gorgeous - with the ideal cut though, do you really want to go as high as a VS quality? You could possibly go with a higher ct wt, with definitely keeping an ideal cut but not as high of clarity. Color, G is great, but you could also go with H or even a nice I and they will still sparkle like crazy if you stay with the ideal cut parameters as Ahertz pointed out.

How exciting for you!

I would go with the 1.20 ctw because I don't think there's going to be that much of a difference in 0.20 ctw (0.10 ctw each) for them to be an $800 difference. Maybe you could post the measurements of the stones though, so we could see what the actually millimeter difference is between the two sets.

OMG you guys are real diamond experts! So appreciate your opinions b/c the "Ideal cut" do indeed fall a bit outside of the parameters you'd suggested...

Here are the complete GIA details!! I hope it makes sense and is easy enough to read - pretend they're in colums of DIAMOND 1 and DIAMOND 2. :smile:

Diamond Earrings #1
Ideal-cut, G-colour, VS2-clarity
Total Carat Weight: 1.40

Price: C$5,452.00 Setting: C$460.00 Diamonds: C$4,992.00

Diamond Information Diamond 1 Diamond 2
Grading Report: GIA GIA
Stock number: LD01723375 LD01723728
Price: C$2,496 C$2,496
Bank wire price:
C$2,459 C$2,459
Price per carat:
C$3,566 C$3,566
Carat weight:
0.70 0.70
Cut: Ideal Ideal
Colour: G G
Clarity: VS2 VS2
Depth %: 62.3 61.9
Table %: 58 59
Polish: Excellent Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent Excellent
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None None
Fluorescence: None None
Measurements: 5.67 x 5.65 x 3.53 mm 5.74 x 5.66 x 3.53 mm

OR

Diamond Earrings #2

Signature Ideal-cut, G-colour, VS2-clarity
Total Carat Weight: 1.20
Price: C$4,625.00 Setting: C$460.00 Diamonds: C$4,165[/QUOTE]
Diamond Information Diamond 1 Diamond 2
Grading Report: GCAL AGSL GCAL AGSL
Stock number: LD01539888 LD01900257
Price: C$2,020 C$2,145
Bank wire price: C$1,990 C$2,113
Price per carat: C$3,367 C$3,575
Carat weight: 0.60 0.60
Cut: Signature Ideal Signature Ideal
Colour: G G
Clarity: VS2 VS2
Depth %: 61.6 61.9
Table %: 55 56
Polish: Ideal Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal Ideal
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: Pointed None
Fluorescence: Negligible None
Measurements: 5.42 x 5.45 x 3.35 mm 5.41 x 5.43 x 3.35 mm

Is VS2 important to you? In this size and in an earring you most likely will not be able to tell the difference between a VS2 and an SI1. Just my two cents.

Ame what does that mean exactly, the table?

As for clarity - wow, I would have thought no one here would go for SI's!! My original engagement ring had excellent cut and F colour but was SI 1 or SI2, and you could see black carbon bits in one corner - it really bugged me. I know they're small and earrings... am just worried about whether they will be eye clean or not under VS2. Am just going by my former research for my new e-ring and on blue nile's guides.

I really don't plan on/want to upgrade ... I don't imagine I'll ever really want bigger than .6 or .7 per ear (as I'm not much of an earring wearer but have always wanted a set of these!) so I just want to make sure I have no lingering feelings like that I should have gotten cleaner ones or better cut or colour, kwim?

I kwym about the ering, so for the studs I got a pr in F,vs1 1.06tcw. Iam quite content with the size and it really sparkles.
I would go with #2, .60ct On each ear would look gorgeous on your small ear lopes.

I kwym about the ering, so for the studs I got a pr in F,vs1 1.06tcw. Iam quite content with the size and it really sparkles.
I would go with #2, .60ct On each ear would look gorgeous on your small ear lopes.

Those sound gorgeous! I saw some in at the Tiffany counter and OMG the sparkle and fire coming off of them! Would so rather get the best cut/colour/clarity than size - I'm sure a well cut, lower colour diamond gives off way more fire on the ears than a bigger one with lower stats!

I'm leaning towards #2...