Pleated tote/hobo

Jul 25, 2007
I emailed one of the ebay sellers of the pleated tote just out of curiosity to ask why the hangtags were never on the bags. This is the answer I received: "I acquired the bag without hangtag." Oh - that explains things, thanks! I just wonder why the tags are off -- that bugs me!!!

I hate to burst anyones bubble....but I think these early pleated ergos showing up on ebay may be fakes.
I had an problem with a pebble leather ergo tote I won off of ebay right when those came out to the coach stores this year. (It was missing the tags and the hangtags - bag 11615) I got lucky the seller gave me a full refund because the bag he sent me had the interior sewn in with the pockets on the wrong sides. Since it didn't match what was advertised he said he would be "honest" and give me a refund once I returned the purse. I wasn't able to ever get him to admit they were fakes but I was pretty sure it was.

And they will not tell you why the tags are missing. I also asked one of them "why are the tags and hangtags missing if these are new?" and here is what the reply to me was... Hi,
Item is brand new, it is missing a hangtag and no tag, that's why I can offer it for a low price than retail.
Thank you.
I didn't ask how they could offer it so cheap..lol...I wanted to know WHY they are missing? They can't tell you though??

I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it. I would think if it was fake then it would have a hangtag, I don't know what they deal is with that but we will see!! My ups guy is usually here in the am, where is that man, lol!

Well, I hate to play devil's advocate here, but I have to do it. I will say there IS possibly a problem with this seller...but it's possible to purchase without the hang tag. I've done that before at Nordstrom because they let anyone handle it, and they sometimes get stolen or "lost". Also, I just purchased a metallic Bridgit from Coach a couple of weeks ago, and the logo snap head was missing. So it could be a display or whatever... Sometimes people really DON'T know why it's missing.

I just find it is weird they have so many of these bags on EBAY before COACH releases them to the stores. It not like these bags have been out on the shelves for a couple of months and they found them on sale someplace or at an outlet.

The pebble leather tote I had problems with was leather and the zipper looked good. The wording on the creed was a little off and like I said - they had sewn the pockets in on the wrong sides. (Which for me was the signal it might be fake and I needed to return it ASAP) The lining looked just like the lining on the real one I went and compared it to. These days they can fake anything. I was watching a show on PBS where they showed the fake bag trade...they even make fake car parts. I had no idea.
When I questioned the seller about my problem bag he said he buys these in "bulk" and hadn't inspected the bad he sold me. So he was "honest" and gave me the refund. When I said the bag he sold me didn't look like the bag I compared it to - a little smaller and the grain of the leather wasn't the same. He ignored those comments and said he would give me a full refund.

baglady, Which seller are you refering to? Thanks!

Huh?? Not sure what you mean. I was just responding to donnalynns original comments about the seller, not meaning any Ebay seller specifically. I've personally had the problems with Coach and Nordstrom as far as "missing parts" go. I just meant that sometimes people (sellers) really do not know WHY it's missing, so it's better to maybe ask that question of "why" it's missing in conjunction with where did you purchase it, and did you make an effort to have the store locate the hang tag for you (or why didn't you). I would have probably responded the same way as the seller did in the same shoes, just because he/she did answer the original question IMO...I mean, I might not know why it's like that, only that I bought it that way in the first place (and probably got a discount if it's at some locations..or I work for the store). People steal stuff all the time like that, as a hang tag is easy to remove. It doesn't have to mean it's a fake item, but of course it sure can be a fake item or listing, so it's best to ask questions and not bid if you're the least bit hesitant that it's not a legit auction!

I do know that some of the sellers sell Nordstrom items, and these are largely display or something they have gotten dirt cheap when it's been on the sale table. They don't lock their Coach bags up, so many of them are damaged to one extent or the other. In this case it's a new item from Coach, so my only explanation is the store got it, the hang tag was stolen, and this is probably a seller that works for a store that got it. JMO... And don't get me wrong...I would be suspicious too!

Well, I am going to wait to leave feedback until I can see one in the store which should be soon since the new floorset should be on the 24th or 25th. I'm not concerned about getting my money back at all.

I just find it is weird they have so many of these bags on EBAY before COACH releases them to the stores. It not like these bags have been out on the shelves for a couple of months and they found them on sale someplace or at an outlet.

The pebble leather tote I had problems with was leather and the zipper looked good. The wording on the creed was a little off and like I said - they had sewn the pockets in on the wrong sides. (Which for me was the signal it might be fake and I needed to return it ASAP) The lining looked just like the lining on the real one I went and compared it to. These days they can fake anything. I was watching a show on PBS where they showed the fake bag trade...they even make fake car parts. I had no idea.
When I questioned the seller about my problem bag he said he buys these in "bulk" and hadn't inspected the bad he sold me. So he was "honest" and gave me the refund. When I said the bag he sold me didn't look like the bag I compared it to - a little smaller and the grain of the leather wasn't the same. He ignored those comments and said he would give me a full refund.

Yeah, they can't buy in bulk. This is most certainly fake. It is indeed odd that some sellers can get these items before they hit even the stores, but I've seen it happen . There's a seller on Ebay that frequently does it. However, Coach does track purchases, and there's a limit to what you can buy. So I don't think anyone is going to get anything in bulk unless it's counterfeit goods.

Well, I am going to wait to leave feedback until I can see one in the store which should be soon since the new floorset should be on the 24th or 25th. I'm not concerned about getting my money back at all.

Absolutely! If you can't tell it's real, then it's best to either take it to Coach (but don't mention Ebay or they might lie to you I hear...)...or wait! Actually you can ask for the bag, and they will give it to you from the back...even though it's now out yet on the floorset.

I called and they will have them in today or tomorrow so I'll go take a look, I really think it is authentic, I just wish I knew what the big secret is about the missing tags and hangtags, lol!

I called and they will have them in today or tomorrow so I'll go take a look, I really think it is authentic, I just wish I knew what the big secret is about the missing tags and hangtags, lol!

You know, I wonder if these fall off easier on a wide strap?? I know I've seen posts where people have lost the hangtags. Knock on wood, this hasn't happened to me yet (although as sure as I write this, it will, lol!). But if it's known to happen with this type of chain, I guess it could have gotten knocked off and gone unnoticed when they unpacked it at the store. Or someone has sticky fingers, lol! I know also sometimes sellers will keep something, like a dust bag or whatever, and just list the rest. Actually the bags from Nordstrom, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls frequently don't even have dust bags. I think the SAs take them!