Please tell me how you built a cohesive jewellery collection

Louish

Dec 28, 2014
I want to have a cohesive capsule jewellery collection. Choosing quality over quantity, I want to have a few pieces which will last forever so it's important that they are classic & work well together.

So far I have my platinum wedding set, my treated green diamond eternity ring & my jeweller is currently working on a RG diamond pendant for me.

What advice would you give me?

You've got the rings and the necklace sorted, I would add:
-diamond studs
-pearl studs
-diamond tennis bracelet
-diamond drop earrings or if your budget doesn't allow hem stone drop earrings

It sounds like you like green diamonds since they are in your eternity band. Maybe get a pair of matching stud earrings, something that you could later add jackets to if you ever wanted to switch up the look?

You've got the rings and the necklace sorted, I would add:
-diamond studs
-pearl studs
-diamond tennis bracelet
-diamond drop earrings or if your budget doesn't allow hem stone drop earrings

I'm currently wearing bezel set non-diamond studs which I intend to upgrade to real diamonds one day, perhaps next year. They would be in the same style (bezel, milgrain, RG) as my pendant. My mum-in-law has a completely different jewellery style to me (she prefers chunkier styles, I like more dainty) & she wears a non-diamond tennis bracelet everyday - it made me wonder whether one would suit my own style/look.

It sounds like you like green diamonds since they are in your eternity band. Maybe get a pair of matching stud earrings, something that you could later add jackets to if you ever wanted to switch up the look?

Oh I adore my eternity ring! Green is my favourite colour & my husband bought it for me after the birth of my son. Great idea to somehow incorporate more into my jewellery. I'm mixing RG & platinum in my collection - would green be ok in the mix?

This is my ring:
IMG_5365.JPG

Are there a certain amount of pieces you are looking to aquire? Do you have a particular budget in mind?

What I would consider if you are looking for designer pieces:
1. Rose gold or white gold Cartier Love Bracelet or Cuff (Classic piece that never goes out of style)
2. Rose Gold Elsa Peretti Open Heart ( Another classic that has been around since the 1970s)
3. Cartier Trinity Ring (Incorporates all colors and easy to find on the secondary market - again another classic)
4. Van Cleef Vintage Alhambra (white or rose gold- depends on gemstone choice, etc)
5. Elsa Peretti mesh earrings in Rose Gold ( a drop that gives you a little more drama)
6. Platinum DBTY studs - Elsa Peretti
7. Mikimoto Pearl Studs ( a classic that never goes out of style)
8. A pair of designer hoops (Van Cleef, Tiffany and Cartier have a variety to choose from)

Last edited:
If you are looking for non-designer, my list is as follows:
1. Diamond Studs ( a classic - set in platinum or rose gold)
2. Pearl Studs - a jewelry wardrobe basic
3. A pair of diamond hoops (could be a huggie style- to add variety to diamond earring wardrobe (can even get emerald/diamond ones to accompany green diamond ring))
4. Green Diamond or Emerald Pendant in platinum (color in jewelry adds a nice touch to an outfit)
5. A plain rose gold necklace (consider something a little bolder - maybe a larger locket to vary your look)
6. Pearl pendant set in rose gold (again pearls are a staple)
7. Rose gold bangle or bracelet (make sure design is simple and classic)
8. DBTY bracelet in platinum (maybe alternating with emeralds or green diamonds)

If you are looking for non-designer, my list is as follows:
1. Diamond Studs ( a classic - set in platinum or rose gold)
2. Pearl Studs - a jewelry wardrobe basic
3. A pair of diamond hoops (could be a huggie style- to add variety to diamond earring wardrobe (can even get emerald/diamond ones to accompany green diamond ring))
4. Green Diamond or Emerald Pendant in platinum (color in jewelry adds a nice touch to an outfit)
5. A plain rose gold necklace (consider something a little bolder - maybe a larger locket to vary your look)
6. Pearl pendant set in rose gold (again pearls are a staple)
7. Rose gold bangle or bracelet (make sure design is simple and classic)
8. DBTY bracelet in platinum (maybe alternating with emeralds or green diamonds)

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't have a budget per se but at my current lifestyle I cannot see myself spending more than £1000 per piece (approx $1200). Spending that amount means I could only get one piece a year, which is fine by me! It means I probably cannot go designer.

Of your list I already know what I want for the diamond earrings & I have been eyeing up the dbty bracelet for white a while :graucho: so those will be my next two pieces. It's the rest I need to think about!

Everyone's style is very individual. My grandmother dressed beautifully but wore chunky jewelry. I prefer dainty as it fits my bone structure and style better.

I would suggest (when you are ready to add to your collection) go into different jewelry stores and try on options.

I dress very classic but pearls do not fit my look. I prefer dainty white gold jewelry. My original wedding ring was yellow gold (25 years ago) and back then I wore only yellow gold. Now days I prefer white gold. Your style and taste could change over the years. Enjoy looking around before your next purchase!

Reactions: Cams and Minty Tea
Thank you so much for your reply. I don't have a budget per se but at my current lifestyle I cannot see myself spending more than £1000 per piece (approx $1200). Spending that amount means I could only get one piece a year, which is fine by me! It means I probably cannot go designer.

Of your list I already know what I want for the diamond earrings & I have been eyeing up the dbty bracelet for white a while :graucho: so those will be my next two pieces. It's the rest I need to think about!
You can get a few designer pieces with that budget. The mesh earrings, Trinity Ring and Open Heart would be within that budget (especially if you look to purchase them on the secondary market). Also consider estate pieces in your budget - more bang for your buck.

Reactions: wisconsin
I'm currently wearing bezel set non-diamond studs which I intend to upgrade to real diamonds one day, perhaps next year. They would be in the same style (bezel, milgrain, RG) as my pendant. My mum-in-law has a completely different jewellery style to me (she prefers chunkier styles, I like more dainty) & she wears a non-diamond tennis bracelet everyday - it made me wonder whether one would suit my own style/look.

Oh I adore my eternity ring! Green is my favourite colour & my husband bought it for me after the birth of my son. Great idea to somehow incorporate more into my jewellery. I'm mixing RG & platinum in my collection - would green be ok in the mix?

This is my ring:
View attachment 3617515
I think it would be great! Green is already in the mix as your favorite color and in your eternity ring.

Everyone's style is very individual. My grandmother dressed beautifully but wore chunky jewelry. I prefer dainty as it fits my bone structure and style better.

I would suggest (when you are ready to add to your collection) go into different jewelry stores and try on options.

I dress very classic but pearls do not fit my look. I prefer dainty white gold jewelry. My original wedding ring was yellow gold (25 years ago) and back then I wore only yellow gold. Now days I prefer white gold. Your style and taste could change over the years. Enjoy looking around before your next purchase!

+1

I want to have a cohesive capsule jewellery collection. Choosing quality over quantity, I want to have a few pieces which will last forever so it's important that they are classic & work well together.

So far I have my platinum wedding set, my treated green diamond eternity ring & my jeweller is currently working on a RG diamond pendant for me.

What advice would you give me?

If you want a small cohesive capsule then consider getting them in the same metal colour or just pick two that complement each other. I love white and 18K yellow gold. I find that I can wear both these metal together and they do not clash with my style. Rose gold very popular but I don't like wearing it.

My list for a small jewellery collection would be a set of each: a pair of earrings; necklace; bracelet; ring (can be e-ring or cocktail ring). Set them with the stone or semi-precious stone that you love. I have a friend that only wear pearls and jade. All her pieces consist of pearls and jade. Even her e-ring's center stone is jade. All her pieces are custom-made and they are gorgeous!

Later in life when you want to add more pieces, start another set. Maybe even choose a different stone.

Reactions: sneedonist
If you want a small cohesive capsule then consider getting them in the same metal colour or just pick two that complement each other. I love white and 18K yellow gold. I find that I can wear both these metal together and they do not clash with my style. Rose gold very popular but I don't like wearing it.

My list for a small jewellery collection would be a set of each: a pair of earrings; necklace; bracelet; ring (can be e-ring or cocktail ring). Set them with the stone or semi-precious stone that you love. I have a friend that only wear pearls and jade. All her pieces consist of pearls and jade. Even her e-ring's center stone is jade. All her pieces are custom-made and they are gorgeous!

Later in life when you want to add more pieces, start another set. Maybe even choose a different stone.

That is really good advice thank you. As for stones I love diamonds (usually white, though my eternity ring is green diamonds). I think I like white metals mixed with rose gold

In general, I'm not a fan of branded fine jewelry. I feel it's not worth the inflated cost until you get into truly unique pieces. 18k gold is 18k gold. And graded diamonds tell the story of their value.

So my opinion on a capsule collection would be (all 18k gold in the same color)
• Diamond studs
• Diamond hoops
• Plain gold earrings (style your preference)
• Diamond pendant on 16" or 18" chain
• Bangle
• Diamond tennis bracelet
• Pearl studs
• Pearl necklace

• Optional: Classic watch

From there you can replicate these items in a different gold color (say in YG if you chose WG). Or you could decide to add interesting signature pieces in a variety of golds or precious stones that strike your fancy. But the listed items would have you covered for just about any situation.

But play with these items and get what suits you. I don't care for diamond studs so I'll
never own them. Make your collection work for you.

As others have said jewelry is really individual. That being said I still think some pieces are classic.

Unless it was super discounted or an heirloom I wouldn't bother with designer jewelry in my opinion it's not worth the mark up.

A diamond from Tiffany's is not much different from a diamond from any other store except for cost and maybe resale value.

I have been really lucky to be gifted jewelry which is how my collection grew.

This year I bought a few pieces after realizing I had some gaps in trying to make more cohesive looks.

I'd recommend:

Diamond by the yard necklace
Diamond stud earrings
Pearl earrings
Pearl necklace or pearl pendant
Colored stone/diamond pendant
Colored stone/diamond earrings
Silver necklaces layering or to put pendants on
Stainless steel or leather watch
Bangle, tennis, or diamond bar bracelet
Statement Ring

Reactions: sneedonist