Please help!

*Jilly*

Feb 7, 2010
I sold my LV bag on eBay and I got a odd request from the buyer. He asked me if I can send him two split invoices. He said he doesn't have enough money in his debit account. As far as I know eBay doesn't let me split a invoice. Also is this safe to do? Or does this seem like something weird is going on. I wrote him back and said i can not split the invoice and to pay in full. It's been 24 hrs since the auction has ended. He still has not responded or sent payment. I know I can send two separate invoices via Paypal but I don't know if that's safe to do. Please let me know what you would do in this situation. Thanks.

If he pays in two parts, protection is invalid, as far as I know. I don't know why someone would do that; no idea if this is a scam or not. Hopefully some of the more experienced ebay sellers will chime in on this one.

Last edited:
how does he intend to pay both invoices if it's split? i don't quite get his rationale in splitting unless he intends to do a direct bank transfer or half from his debit account or half from credit card??

Thank you. I believe he wants to pay with two Credit cards. I told him I can't allow that. He just responded and said he will transfer money into his debit account and will pay soon.

Thank you. I believe he wants to pay with two Credit cards. I told him I can't allow that. He just responded and said he will transfer money into his debit account and will pay soon.
I think he can add a second credit card to his PP account and pay 1/2 on each.

I like the transfer idea.

If he doesn't have enough money, he probably should not be spending...lol.

It doesn't mean he doesn't have enough money. I no longer use credit cards, (:woohoo: paid off for good!), but I have 3 bank accounts. There has been a couple of times that I had to move some money from one account into another so I can make one big payment (not an ebay purchase-I don't spend large amounts on ebay). That's just another possibilty.:smile:

You lose seller protection. Only accept one payment.

I thought it was the other way around, the buyer lose buyer protection?

From PP's Seller Protection policy:

11.6 Eligibility Requirements

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal seller protection?

e.You must accept a single payment from one PayPal Account for the purchase.

^^^ Seller loses protection.

And buyer loses protection too - as follows:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?articleID=94049&m=SRE

PayPal Protection for Buyers

PayPal Purchase Protection covers eligible transactions for the full purchase price, plus original shipping charges.

To qualify for PayPal Purchase Protection:

Use PayPal to pay for your item.
Pay for the item in one payment. Items purchased with multiple or partial payments aren't eligible.