Please help!

*Jilly*

Feb 7, 2010
Long Island,NY
I sold my LV bag on eBay and I got a odd request from the buyer. He asked me if I can send him two split invoices. He said he doesn't have enough money in his debit account. As far as I know eBay doesn't let me split a invoice. Also is this safe to do? Or does this seem like something weird is going on. I wrote him back and said i can not split the invoice and to pay in full. It's been 24 hrs since the auction has ended. He still has not responded or sent payment. I know I can send two separate invoices via Paypal but I don't know if that's safe to do. Please let me know what you would do in this situation. Thanks.

tutushopper

❤️ Lambskin Lover ❤️
Apr 13, 2012
If he pays in two parts, protection is invalid, as far as I know. I don't know why someone would do that; no idea if this is a scam or not. Hopefully some of the more experienced ebay sellers will chime in on this one.

Last edited:

cherrycookies

Nov 21, 2012
how does he intend to pay both invoices if it's split? i don't quite get his rationale in splitting unless he intends to do a direct bank transfer or half from his debit account or half from credit card??

*Jilly*

Feb 7, 2010
Long Island,NY
Thank you. I believe he wants to pay with two Credit cards. I told him I can't allow that. He just responded and said he will transfer money into his debit account and will pay soon.

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
Thank you. I believe he wants to pay with two Credit cards. I told him I can't allow that. He just responded and said he will transfer money into his debit account and will pay soon.
I think he can add a second credit card to his PP account and pay 1/2 on each.

I like the transfer idea.

Sep 11, 2006
U.K.
You would lose seller protection if you accepted more than one payment.

The buyer could add his CC to PP, pay the entire amount then repay his CC as and when he is able.

MarneeB

~Love My Dogs~
O.G.
Mar 15, 2009
Missouri
If he doesn't have enough money, he probably should not be spending...lol.

It doesn't mean he doesn't have enough money. I no longer use credit cards, (:woohoo: paid off for good!), but I have 3 bank accounts. There has been a couple of times that I had to move some money from one account into another so I can make one big payment (not an ebay purchase-I don't spend large amounts on ebay). That's just another possibilty.:smile:

Apr 15, 2007
That is what he should do.. transfer the money & pay you in full

Sep 11, 2006
U.K.
I thought it was the other way around, the buyer lose buyer protection?
From PP's Seller Protection policy:

11.6 Eligibility Requirements

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal seller protection?

e.You must accept a single payment from one PayPal Account for the purchase.

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
You lose seller protection. Only accept one payment.
I thought it was the other way around, the buyer lose buyer protection?
From PP's Seller Protection policy:

11.6 Eligibility Requirements

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal seller protection?

e.You must accept a single payment from one PayPal Account for the purchase.
^^^ Seller loses protection.

And buyer loses protection too - as follows:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?articleID=94049&m=SRE

PayPal Protection for Buyers

PayPal Purchase Protection covers eligible transactions for the full purchase price, plus original shipping charges.

To qualify for PayPal Purchase Protection:

Use PayPal to pay for your item.
Pay for the item in one payment. Items purchased with multiple or partial payments aren't eligible.