Please Help~ What is the difference btw old box leather and new box leather

chensandy

Apr 6, 2008
I recently heard the box leather has been discontinued, and it has been replaced by another type of box leather called "the new box". What is the difference??
I only noticed the new box leather is much thinner, and less shinny. Is it true?

Jing Ling

Nov 13, 2009
When does H start producing the new box leather ? Is new one as sensitive as the previous ?

IFFAH

"..."
Jan 22, 2006
The new boxcalf is technically not new. It is the original version of the boxcalf leather before the stiffer boxcalf leather. They are being re-introduced again. I would like to term it as boxcalf reissued (like Chanel Reissue) instead of new boxcalf.

May 6, 2007
The new boxcalf is technically not new. It is the original version of the boxcalf leather before the stiffer boxcalf leather. They are being re-introduced again. I would like to term it as boxcalf reissued (like Chanel Reissue) instead of new boxcalf.

the "re-issue" began about 1 1/2 years ago starting with L stamp. the main difference is that the grain is actually visible from certain angles and in certain light. box for a long time was "painted" for lack of a better term-old box and now current box is dyed and finished --its actually more expensive to produce but easier to refurbish--

S'Mom

Resistance is Futile
O.G.
Apr 8, 2006
I have a vintage Box Kelly from the 50's and the leather is much thicker and almost spongy to the touch, has a soft hand and a glorious patina. I don't know if it's old Box or new Box or in-between Box but it is certainly different than the Box calf on the recent bags I've seen. The tanning process has changed since then....

IFFAH

"..."
Jan 22, 2006
the "re-issue" began about 1 1/2 years ago starting with L stamp. the main difference is that the grain is actually visible from certain angles and in certain light. box for a long time was "painted" for lack of a better term-old box and now current box is dyed and finished --its actually more expensive to produce but easier to refurbish--
You're right. Hence, the term reissued or in other words, an updated version.:smile: Hermes has been consistently doing updated versions and this is a good move in processes, designs and history.

May 6, 2007
I think its important to recognize that all forms of box are top quality and gorgeous: I have been told that the main reason for the near constant innovation and tweaking is to improve lifespan, improve the ease of repair and refurbishing their own product and also to improve consistency of the product--ie. color, texture etc. So even though "new" box is somewhat of a reissue it is still slightly different than the original. The beauty of Hermes is in their design (obviously), innovation, quality control and reliability. No they aren't perfect all of the time but they are certainly at the pinnacle of the industry.

HermesFSH

O.G.
Feb 5, 2009
I think its important to recognize that all forms of box are top quality and gorgeous: I have been told that the main reason for the near constant innovation and tweaking is to improve lifespan, improve the ease of repair and refurbishing their own product and also to improve consistency of the product--ie. color, texture etc. So even though "new" box is somewhat of a reissue it is still slightly different than the original. The beauty of Hermes is in their design (obviously), innovation, quality control and reliability. No they aren't perfect all of the time but they are certainly at the pinnacle of the industry.
:goodpost:

Elina0408

O.G.
Nov 20, 2009
:ty: You girls know all about Hermes!!! I am impressed!!! Thank you for the information!! I have to reconsider about my buys for 2010-11!!!! :yes::yes::yes:

Ms Birkin

O.G.
Jun 21, 2008
Near an orange box
Oh that is good to know as I've ordered two bags in box this year. I don't currently own any bags in box so I'm looking forward to their arrival at some point. Am I correct in saying that box is a stiffer leather?