Please Help! Store Loyalty Dilemma

jeyatlin

O.G.
Jul 3, 2008
I recently found out from my favorite SA that the SM was super sensitive to their clients purchasing from other stores. The SM actually 'jokingly' confronted me about a recent purchase- to which I responded, well, it's a newer item that you didn't have yet.

I had also placed a PO in July 2008, one of which was a new style of bag that I hadn't seen IRL. When I did see it IRL, it didn't work for me so I turned it down. Apparently the SM was upset that I didn't take it even though it clearly did not look good on me. I then placed a PO in January 2009 & a SO in August 2009 & nothing has come in yet. My SA seemed to indicate that the SM was not pleased w/ me turning down the previous bag that she may have 'accidentally' delayed the orders.

I've spent a lot of money at this store (maybe not as much as others, but to me, it's a lot of money), purchasing over 20 bags & SLG & various scarves & other accessories in the past year. Yet my store loyalty had been questioned more than once.

I feel very sad & disappointed that the SM takes things so personally. It's not like they have every item at the time that I'm looking for it. Is it unreasonable to purchase elsewhere when that's the case? I don't think so.

So I'm left with a dilemma. Do I continue to patronize this store or should I move on? I haven't built another SA relationship as I really do love mine. It's also the closest store to where I shop. But there are 3 other stores w/i an hour's drive/train ride.

Please help me decide. All comments are welcome. THANKS:smile:

So sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. This is very disappointing indeed. If I'm spending so much money at H, I would surely want the experience to be a pleasant one. Spending money to stay at the same store just to please the store SM is somewhat illogical to me. I would choose to take my business elsewhere.

As long as it's not too much of a hassle, I would take ALL my business to another H store. You dont need all this emotional blackmail, games, and psychological warfare. I doubt this SM will ever change her stripes and these slightly disturbing incidents will only continue as long as you patronise this store.

As long as it's not too much of a hassle, I would take ALL my business to another H store. You dont need all this emotional blackmail, games, and psychological warfare. I doubt this SM will ever change her stripes and these slightly disturbing incidents will only continue as long as you patronise this store.

Exactly.

So sorry to hear that you've had such a negative experience. If that SM really did want to encourage your loyality - seems she has a very funny way of showing it!

A huge part of the appeal of H is the service - not just in the short term, but over the years - it's a timeless brand, that most customers stay with over a lifetime. It would appear that this SM has been very shortsighted. And, generally (in my experience) a PO will have a number of names attached to each item, so they would be able to pleasantly surprise someone else on the list so there would be no financial deficit to the store at all.

If you are waiting for a SO - particularly if it's a grail , then I would honour it - but would also keep an open mind and shop where you please, both in the meantime and going forward!

It blows my mind how they end up thinking that *they* are doing *you* a favor, and not vice versa. :wtf:

Since you bought more than 20 bags there, I would think you have some clout. What I would do is request an appointment with the SM, and then, in a calm, businesslike manner, tell her your concerns and observations and how you would like to continue your patronage, but things need to change if you are to stay.

I think anyone treats you they way you allow them to treat you. Let her know how you expect to be treated. That is what I would do before I would move elsewhere.

Well, I don't have a lot of experience at H (only popped in there a couple of times, bought a scarf, a scarf ring and a carmen), but the SA that helped me was a lot nicer about getting stuff elsewhere. When I first came there to try on a Bolide she told me I had to wait until July to order it, but if I did find it anywhere else in another H store I'd better get it immediately to avoid the waiting time. And then when I returned about half a year later to pick up my carmen she remembered me and asked how the hunt for the perfect Bolide was going and if I'd found it yet. I guess it all depends on the SA and SM. But if I'd feel mistreated I'd shop at another H - they have no valid reason whatsoever to treat you badly because you've shopped at another boutique.

Are you sure it is the SM that is being super emotional or could it be the SA trying to play mind games with you so that you will stay loyal? Did you personally feel that the SM was angry at you at the spot when you turned down the bag or did your SA tell you this later? I'm only asking because it hasn't even been a year since you placed your PO and SO so it sounds a bit awkward to hear that your SA said your orders have been purposely delayed. If the SM was really angry at you for turning down the bag and questioned your loyalty, she surely came to her senses and tried to win back your loyalty by offering you a PO and a SO afterwards. Maybe the SA was making things a bit dramatic? Try waiting for a few months and ask the SM about your PO next time you're there. See if it was accepted and when they expect it to arrive. If the SM is rude in the way she responds, then take your business elsewhere.

I appreciate that it's your choice to shop where you please. I was wondering - if your regular store does not have what you want, do they offer to get it in for you?

I sometimes ask for things the store does not have. When this happens, the SA goes onto the computer, checks inventory all over the country and gets the other stores to send stuff to her. My regular store is the most convenient (despite being 2-2.5 hours away) so it's a big hassle to go elsewhere. She has phoned all other stores in front of me and phoned me up when on the computerised inventory so we can discuss items as she finds them.

I agree with seton wholeheartedly!
If you can move stores and patronise another without too much hassle , I would.
sometimes you just have to move on!!

I couldn't agree more!