Please help? Rick Owens leather jacket sizing??

DollyGirl

O.G.
Oct 17, 2006
I bought a Rick Owens leather jacket in size 40 recently. I usually wear US2-4, but I feel a bit tight around the armpit and shoulder... so I was wondering if I should exchange it to 42. However, I heard a lot of people said that leather jacket will stretch... so I don't know if I should exchange it or not.

For those of you who own this jacket, do you go with the one that fits perfectly or the one that gives you a bit more room?

TIA :heart:

Rick Owens runs TINY. But, it does stretch out eventually. I'm guessing that the area that you need stretched is part leather and part knit. The knit gets WAY stretched. Leather is stretchable. So, you'd probably be okay. The difference between the RO sizes is almost nothing so I suspect that if you did go up a size and it stretched you'd be perfectly fine.

I've never tried this before, but if you have trouble getting the leather to stretch for you, maybe consult your local cobbler or leather person? Maybe they could help?

I don't own a Rick Owen's jacket, but if the armpits and the shoulder seems look too small and are tight, they aren't going to get much bigger with wear. Meaning that, if the seams on the shoulder's look like they are not sitting in the correct spot and you look like you are stuffing yourself into the jacket, they will not stretch to the correct position on your shoulder. the leather itself may give a bit, but the tailoring will stay intact. Hope that helps.

i'd say probably stick with the 40, unless you have unusually wide shoulders for your size? i'm a 44 in RO and when i was buying mine i tried a size up and a size down and found that the shoulders were about the same in all of them, the real difference was in the amount of leather in the body. maybe i just can't imagine someone two sizes smaller than i am having the same size shoulders as i do :lol: it's possible if you're very athletic but otherwise it's pretty unlikely!

having said that, what style is it? they don't all run exactly the same.

i am a US 0-2...and my RO jacket is size 42. mine is bronze so the leather is calf skin which doesn't really stretch. i have narrow shoulder and i also find the shoulder bit tight..like the shoulders part cut into my armpits. depends on what style, mine is bomber style so though it's not that tight fit but i like how it's on me.
i would suggest when you wear your jacket, raise your arm up to reach for something if the jacket stay in place...it should be the right fit. if the whole jacket raise up with you..may be size up?? and are you going to wear anything underneath?? i personally don't like the leather jacket to be stretched that much.

Yup, my RO biker jacket is tight around my armpits and shoulders (I have a 38, my usual size in the US is 0), but I think it's supposed to look very fitted along that area. That's sort of his "look." It can be a bit annoying -- mine hasn't stretched out but then again, I don't wear mine that often -- but you get used to the underarm thing because it looks so darn awesome! :smile: I just wear it with a thin top underneath so that it doesn't feel too bulky or tight.

nice jacket....i've been drooling over it for a long time. :love:
congrats!!
one thing i want to add is it really depends on how you want it to look on you. like the link you posted...the jacket is kind of loss on the model which i like how it fits on her, that's how it should look...just my opinion. i just don't believe i am supposed to stretch a leather jacket to fit my size...afterall it's leather not elastic.

Last edited:
^ Thanks juneping! I know I shouldn't stretch a leather jacket to fit me, but I'm just thinking if I exchange it for a size 42 and if it do stretch... maybe it will become a little too big for me. So I couldn't decide if I should go up a size or not.

may be you can post some modeling pic and we can see the fit. i did that too...and ladies here were very helpful. just shot from neck down if you are not comfortable showing your face.
btw, leather only stretch at the area you need room.

What you got is the blister leather version of the jacket, which tends to be a stiffer lambs leather than the ones Rick Owens has used before. I know that the FW blisters were slightly thicker (because I have one) and not as slouchy as some of his previous ones. So they would run slightly smaller than your normal size. I haven't seen the Spring blisters yet, so I don't know if they would be a little thinner. Jackets tend to stretch out in those areas where the leather is strained so the area you're talking about should loosen slightly, although in my experience the armpit area won't stretch as much as the back for example. Even if you sized up and the jacket fits perfectly, I don't think it would really stretch (because it doesn't have to), so I wouldn't be concerned about a bigger size getting even bigger. Leather only adapts if it needs to.

Is there any way you can get the size 42 from NAP, compare it with the one you've got, then send back the one you don't want? It's just impossible for you to compare otherwise. I know the ladies here are helpful, but not every US size 2 is the same, i.e. girls have different shaped arms, bust, waist etc., but can still have the same general clothing size. And if you got both jackets in, you could combine them with different outfits to see what would work. Some girls only wear a t-shirt under their jackets, others prefer a long-sleeve or a thin jumper. Sizing is such an individual thing, you're best trying it out for yourself, especially if it's a jacket with a high price tag you'll be wearing the rest of your life.