Please help - physical payment and FVF?

Aug 16, 2006
I recently put up an eBay auction for an LV handbag which I was no longer using. The item sold, but instead of paying right away, the buyer wanted to look at it before paying for it. I was happy to do whatever it was that made her feel reassured, and she was very kind to come to my work for the viewing. She paid in cash and the transaction ended well.

Now, I'd like to know if eBay will still take FVF fees from me even though no electronic payment was ever received by myself? Obviously, I'd like to avoid paying those exorbitant fees if it's at all possible. Will they just not take any money, or will I have to take certain steps, e.g. do some kind of mutual withdrawal?

Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for your help. Yes, I must make it clear that I absolutely do not think this is entirely ethical - however, I also don't think fBay and their business practices are entirely ethical either, so I'm less inclined to pull out all the stops for them.

You will definitely still have to pay the final value fees no matter how the buyer pays. It doesn't matter what form of payment is used.

I think you are pretty much stuck paying those fees.. It would be a huge hassle (and unethical) to reverse the sale just to get your fees back.

You know what, tho... I have had MORE than one seller of high end items that I bought message me, AFTER I paid and the item was delivered, and ask me if I would be willing to do a mutual withdrawal/sale reversal, whatever it is called, so that they could recoup their selling fees.
I always said NO just because I don't know enough about those particular ebay procedures to know what all this entails or if I would be hanging myself.
And I assumed that would really screw up my cashback if/when I had used it to purchase.
Some sellers don't think this is any big deal and one of them said "oh we do this all the time"...??

Is it OK to cheat? I think if you agree to use ebay, you should pay the fees. Where else can you sell your high end items with that kind of exposure? Their fees have gone up and I am not happy about that, but it is still less than you would pay a consignment store to sell.

Well, we've got ourselves another debate...let's remember everyone is entitled to their opinions...

IMO, fBay engages in unethical business practices, so I can totally understand someone who, given the opportunity, chooses to fight fire with fire, just like I can understand those who think "it's unethical" and not something they would do.

Think of it this way, you just saved $ buy not using PayFoe. PayFoe fees can almost hurt just as much on high end items. The only way to avoid fees all together it to use craigslist:graucho:

^ Oh, I know, and the fact that you've heard this more than once is what makes it interesting because it means there's likely to be just as many people in favor as against it.

huh, i would never cross my mind to ask a buyer to mutually withdraw to avoid the fees, it's an interesting concept and one that i would imagine could end with a seller being thrown off ebay if the buyer was to report them.
if i was on the buying end and the seller asked me this, i would tell them where to go .