Please help me!

Jbb924

O.G.
Feb 7, 2013
I purchased an item from a seller who is very reputable through paypal. It was the first purchase I've ever made outside of ebay. She was really great and sent the pacakge out right away and was super responsive with my emails.

Usps attempted to deliver the item two weeks ago but I wasn't home. I called to schedule a pick up and when I went to the post office they didn't have it. They advised me that it might be out for re delivery. I went home waited and it never came. I called usps and they scheduled another re delivery. Same thing, never showed. I called usps and they opened a case. After two weeks and 3 cases I never heard back from them. I was in contact with the seller and she was calling and they were giving her the same story. At this point we were both frustrated. The post office said that if we didn't hear anything than a claim should be filed as the package was fully insured. She told me she would file the claim as soon as she was able to. I asked her for a refund and she told me she wasn't sure if she wanted to wait until she collected the insurance money to refund.

At this point I was panicking and I called paypal to ask them for advice. They said that if I waited until she collected the money it would be past the 45 days for my buyer protection. They said sellers usually refund the money once they realize an item has not been recieved. They suggested I file a claim. I did.

I thought that at this point I would be refunded by paypal. My seller would eventually get their insurance money back and everyone could move on from this. Well, I just got off the phone with paypal and they said that because usps tracking still says the package is available for pick up they will close the case in the buyers favor. I don't know what to do. She is filing a claim with usps for a lost item. Isn't that enough proof? Paypal told me to call usps and try and get them to change the status. Usps told me they don't do that. Anyone have any advice? I really can't believe what a nightmare this has been.

I purchased an item from a seller who is very reputable through paypal. It was the first purchase I've ever made outside of ebay. She was really great and sent the pacakge out right away and was super responsive with my emails.

Usps attempted to deliver the item two weeks ago but I wasn't home. I called to schedule a pick up and when I went to the post office they didn't have it. They advised me that it might be out for re delivery. I went home waited and it never came. I called usps and they scheduled another re delivery. Same thing, never showed. I called usps and they opened a case. After two weeks and 3 cases I never heard back from them. I was in contact with the seller and she was calling and they were giving her the same story. At this point we were both frustrated. The post office said that if we didn't hear anything than a claim should be filed as the package was fully insured. She told me she would file the claim as soon as she was able to. I asked her for a refund and she told me she wasn't sure if she wanted to wait until she collected the insurance money to refund.

At this point I was panicking and I called paypal to ask them for advice. They said that if I waited until she collected the money it would be past the 45 days for my buyer protection. They said sellers usually refund the money once they realize an item has not been recieved. They suggested I file a claim. I did.

I thought that at this point I would be refunded by paypal. My seller would eventually get their insurance money back and everyone could move on from this. Well, I just got off the phone with paypal and they said that because usps tracking still says the package is available for pick up they will close the case in the buyers favor. I don't know what to do. She is filing a claim with usps for a lost item. Isn't that enough proof? Paypal told me to call usps and try and get them to change the status. Usps told me they don't do that. Anyone have any advice? I really can't believe what a nightmare this has been.

It might be worth calling usps (the 800 number) and ask to be given the number of the Consumer Affairs for your state. They might be more helpful. Also, have you talked to your postmaster? Since the last tracking was at your PO, there is someone responsible for all this mess, and they should be held accountable.

I would also report the theft of the package, there should be a link at usps.com for Postal Inspectors (or something like that). The package was obviously either stolen by your PO or misplaced by them.

It might be worth calling usps (the 800 number) and ask to be given the number of the Consumer Affairs for your state. They might be more helpful. Also, have you talked to your postmaster? Since the last tracking was at your PO, there is someone responsible for all this mess, and they should be held accountable.

I would also report the theft of the package, there should be a link at usps.com for Postal Inspectors (or something like that). The package was obviously either stolen by your PO or misplaced by them.

Thanks! I filed a complaint with consumer affairs and they said they are looking into it. The post office hasn't been very responsive. Not once has anyone returned my phone calls. Once the seller filed the claimed I figured it was kind of out my hands. I will get back on the phone with them Monday. I'm also going to go back to my post office and see if I can' get any help from them there. I'm so afraid of paypal closing my case and not having any recourse. I will try anything at this point! I appreciate your help!

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm so sorry you're going through this but I would keep calling the USPS 800 number until you get someone who will really give you some assistance with this.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm so sorry you're going through this but I would keep calling the USPS 800 number until you get someone who will really give you some assistance with this.

Thanks so much! I will call again and hopefully someone can help me. I'm just afraid that while I'm trying to get someone willing to help me at usps paypal will close the case. I'm starting to lose hope because I've been on the phone with them everyday and it's gotten me nowhere. I hope I can figure something out. I can't stand the thought of being out hundreds of dollars.

Thanks so much! I will call again and hopefully someone can help me. I'm just afraid that while I'm trying to get someone willing to help me at usps paypal will close the case. I'm starting to lose hope because I've been on the phone with them everyday and it's gotten me nowhere. I hope I can figure something out. I can't stand the thought of being out hundreds of dollars.

How did you fund this purchase? Was it through a credit card?

Did your seller request a signature by any chance since you are
mentioning the thought of being out hundreds of dollars?

Perhaps you need to make a trip to the post office & find out
which postal carrier makes deliveries for your address..

How did you fund this purchase? Was it through a credit card?

Did your seller request a signature by any chance since you are
mentioning the thought of being out hundreds of dollars?

Perhaps you need to make a trip to the post office & find out
which postal carrier makes deliveries for your address..

I payed through paypal using my credit card. There was signature confirmation. The amount was just under paypal's 750 dollar signature requirement. When usps first opened the case they said they would try and talk to the carrier and get back to me but they didn't. I'm going to go back to the post office and see what information I can find out.
I am just so frustrated with usps that I hoped paypal would refund me my money and I would never have to deal with usps again. It's so frustrating because my seller is filing a claim for the insurance money and I have 3 cases open with USPS and paypal is saying that all they care about is the tracking. And they keep telling me to go pick it up at my post office. If it was there I would of done that already! It makes me sick to think that she may collect the insurance money and be able to keep mine.

I payed through paypal using my credit card. There was signature confirmation. The amount was just under paypal's 750 dollar signature requirement. When usps first opened the case they said they would try and talk to the carrier and get back to me but they didn't. I'm going to go back to the post office and see what information I can find out.
I am just so frustrated with usps that I hoped paypal would refund me my money and I would never have to deal usps again. It's so frustrating because my seller is filing a claim for the insurance money and I have 3 cases open with USPS and paypal is saying that all they care about is the tracking. And they keep telling me to go pick it up at my post office. If it was there I would of done that already! It makes me sick to think that she may collect the insurance money and be able to keep mine.

If tracking shows your item is at your local post office,
you need to put some pressure on your usps. This item has signature
confirmation & they need to find this item. It is also insured.

It just didn't disappear...

If all else fails you may need to call your cc & explain the circumstances.

If tracking shows your item is at your local post office,
you need to put some pressure on your usps. This item has signature
confirmation & they need to find this item. It is also insured.

It just didn't disappear...

If all else fails you may need to call your cc & explain the circumstances.

I am going to try and get something done on Monday. I've never encountered such terrible customer service before. I expected them to be scrambling to find this package. It seems like they have done nothing. I know it couldn't of just disappeared but with such bad communication and everyone passing the buck I have no idea how they can get anything done or found for that matter. I'm so surprised at their lack of concern regarding an insurance package that has seemingly vanished.

It makes me sick to think that she may collect the insurance money and be able to keep mine.

I would not assume she is going to do this. I can understand why she would not refund you immediately. The package may still turn up and then she would be out the money and the item. I'm sure it is hard to stay patient and calm but that is all you can do for now. Good luck.

p.s. If I were a betting person, I would bet the package is still going to turn up - they usually do.

I would not assume she is going to do this. I can understand why she would not refund you immediately. The package may still turn up and then she would be out the money and the item. I'm sure it is hard to stay patient and calm but that is all you can do for now. Good luck.

p.s. If I were a betting person, I would bet the package is still going to turn up - they usually do.

You're right. That's exactly what she said when I asked for a refund. I don't know that is what will happen but I was just thinking worse case scenario. I want to be patient but I want to be pro active as well. I hope the package does turn up but I really don't have much faith In usps with the way they handled this so far. I hope it works out. I just want to make sure I'm doing all the right things. Thanks!

Hi OP--just to understand better please, where you mentioned in your above post (that I quoted above my post), did Paypa* close in the favor of the 'buyer' or 'seller'...?

Its here where you originally mentioned (in your original post):

"...Well, I just got off the phone with paypal and they said that because usps tracking still says the package is available for pick up they will close the case in the buyers favor. "

Thank You for your time in advance for any clarification--if need be... :smile:

Before I forget OP--

When you now/currently click on the USPS Tracking for this shipment--does it show something like:

"Out for Delivery"

or

"Notice Left" ...?

And have you manually (e-mail) signed-up for that USPS Tracking Info on your own accord for any shipping "updates" from USPS directly for this shipment--if you haven't done that yet--please do so...for I find that to be quite useful.

Also, (and sorry if I missed it already, but...): Did you get a 'slip/post-card type reminder' in your mailbox from USPS--saying something to the effect that you "missed" a package -- (since your shipment needed your signature to be received plus it was Insured for that $$$ you paid anyways), or notified by USPS in any way/shape/form that you had a package "waiting" for you at the Post Office to be picked up...? Its also helpful IMHO for you to check on your "delivery preferences" with your local Post Office. Is it a home that your postal worker can just ring your door-bell or is it an apartment complex with a "mass" mailbox-type setup...? I only ask those questions further to hopefully aid you with this issue--and of course seeing all of our other BRILLIANT TPF'ers here offering such helpful advice--I have a good feeling that we will all be able to somehow help you with this matter. Hang in there, kay... :hugs:

And I hope the other Ladies can chime in here please: I think I was once told by the USPS that (approx.) 2 weeks goes by and the recipient doesn't receive their shipment--that the USPS automatically "re-sends" the shipment back to Sender (....?) and that the shipment could take (almost) forever(?) to get back to the Sender. I'm also trying to remember if USPS told me if that "re-sending to Sender" ever "shows" on the Official online USPS Tracking (...?)--I gotta go check on that soon...

P.s. My life is kinda hectic these days (life has actually been hectic non-stop for the past 2 years or so... :rolleyes:)--if not I'd love to be on TPF more...but I'll check on your thread as often as I can and see if there's any useful info I can add to your thread--to hopefully help you in any way possible...

Last edited:
Hi OP--just to understand better please, where you mentioned in your above post (that I quoted above my post), did Paypa* close in the favor of the 'buyer' or 'seller'...?

Its here where you originally mentioned (in your original post):

"...Well, I just got off the phone with paypal and they said that because usps tracking still says the package is available for pick up they will close the case in the buyers favor. "

Thank You for your time in advance for any clarification--if need be... :smile:

They said if I can't get usps to update the status they will close the case in sellers favor. They are giving me some time. I asked usps and they said they aren't going to update status.