Please help me with my first VCA purchase! YG Guilloche vs RG GMOP

alissanb

Aug 3, 2020
Hello everyone,

I visited my local VCA for the first time today to view the vintage Alhambra pendants and I'm so glad I did because they are even more stunning in person. For my first VCA purchase, I am so unbelievably torn between YG guilloche and RG GMOP.

All factors aside, I think I would choose RG GMOP because I felt a stronger "wow" moment when I put it on. There's just something that feels so special when I wear it. I just love it. However, I also felt amazed by the YG guilloche which is a strong contender, with the bonus that it is solid gold and thus more durable.

In fact, the only thing holding me back from purchasing RG GMOP right now is the durability factor. I have no experience owning MOP jewellery and I am worried it will naturally degrade over time. I care for my jewellery really well. I don't wear my jewellery every day, in the shower or when I sleep etc but I am still concerned about the possibility it will degrade over time (shrinking, losing brilliance and luster etc) and for such an expensive item, I want something that will last for many many years to come. However, my SA did mention that I could still wear it daily and replace the stone in the future for $300 (CAD) if needs be.

I also love YG guilloche and like that it would last and I wouldn't have to worry about it as much. Can anyone with more experience offer me any advice on which I should choose? Am I worrying too much about the RG GMOP? How delicate is MOP and does it hold up well if you take good care of it? Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: 880
Guilloche is going to be more durable than MOP but that being said, if you are careful then it shouldn’t be an issue. I have a MOP bracelet that’s over ten years old. No issues at all and I’m careful.

Thank you! It’s good to hear that you’ve had your MOP bracelet for a long time without issues. That gives me good perspective.

• Love
Reactions: 880
Go with the wow moment and what makes your heart sing! I think durability is more an issue with bracelets. A pendant isn’t going to rub up against a rough surface or get caught on a sharp edge! Just don’t shower with it or spray perfume on it. congrsts! Cannot wait to see an action pic!

Reactions: fdc and alissanb
Go with the one that you love more - your first choice. I don’t own grey mop but I do have white mop pieces and even after 4 years they look brand new and I use them often. I feel your pain though because both your choices are amazing in their own way!

• Love
Reactions: 880 and alissanb