Please Help Me Make this Dress Work for A Formal Wedding

Aug 15, 2014
Hi TPF friends, I have a formal wedding to attend in 2 weeks. (not black tie). I was thinking about wearing this Magaschoni navy silk dress I bought last year from TheRealReal. Do you think it qualifies as "Formal"? The beading on the shoulders is beautiful, but it's a little shapeless. I am in my mid-40s and wonder if it is too "mother-of-the-bride-ish". Any input or advice is welcome!

WN120887_1_enlarged.jpg WN120887_2_enlarged.jpg

Because of the beading, fabric, and dark color, this dress can definitely go formal! I agree with the above - jewelry would be a great way to elevate it, and I would also add an evening clutch that kind of echoes the sleeves - something dark, beaded, and a little glittery.

Because of the beading, fabric, and dark color, this dress can definitely go formal! I agree with the above - jewelry would be a great way to elevate it, and I would also add an evening clutch that kind of echoes the sleeves - something dark, beaded, and a little glittery.
Thanks Duessa, I will look for a great clutch to add!

I wouldn't use a belt on it. The top part might bunch, making it a bit shorter; and making the whole thing look less formal.

I suggest a major updo, elegant full makeup, statement earrings and a statement bracelet.

Use a formal clutch and high heels.

I think it's a nice dress and can be the foundation for a simple yet classy look.

Reactions: BalenciagaKitte
Thanks ManilaMama! What do you think of this clutch? I have a statement bracelet with similar black beading and will have an updo and high heels.
View attachment 3625998

Do you have other choices?

I was thinking something metallic or silver.. or black with beading.. something like this..

IMG_1488901083.688972.jpg
IMG_1488901098.954659.jpg

That's the kind of stuff I usually see in weddings around here.

Your clutch is nice but I think the flowers make the whole outfit look less formal?

Is your event in the evening? (I don't remember if you mentioned)

Thanks for the suggestions ManilaMama, I was going to buy a clutch, so I will forget about buying the floral one and look for something along the lines of what you posted. Yes it is an evening wedding and the invite said Formal Attire. Those clutches you posted are gorgeous!

Thanks for the suggestions ManilaMama, I was going to buy a clutch, so I will forget about buying the floral one and look for something along the lines of what you posted. Yes it is an evening wedding and the invite said Formal Attire. Those clutches you posted are gorgeous!

You know clutches like those are fairly inexpensive here where I live (Manila, Philippines).. but yes, they are quite pretty! And versatile too! I can find them in our local department stores hehe.. most have obscure brands. I own a few like these and use them for weddings. One day I'll work my way up to a Bottega Venetta knot clutch but until then, I use these kinds of evening purses.

Good luck in shopping for a clutch! I need to go back to work now (tons of computer stuff to finish) but if I didn't, I'd help you shop!!

So here is my final outfit... I went with a simple black satin evening purse (not shown, sorry!), a statement set of bracelets, and the off white satin crystal shoes I wore on my wedding day. With the jeweled shoulders on the dress, I didn't wear a necklace and kept it to small navy crystal drop earrings. On my nails, a silver-leaning-lavender Zoya polish. Thanks everyone for your help!

Navy_SM.jpg

Reactions: Pmrbfay
So here is my final outfit... I went with a simple black satin evening purse (not shown, sorry!), a statement set of bracelets, and the off white satin crystal shoes I wore on my wedding day. With the jeweled shoulders on the dress, I didn't wear a necklace and kept it to small navy crystal drop earrings. On my nails, a silver-leaning-lavender Zoya polish. Thanks everyone for your help!

View attachment 3647722

Gorgeous! Great choices all around!