Please help me find a travel bag

ms_sue

Aug 25, 2008
Any suggestions for a bag that would work well for a summer trip this year abroad? I'd prefer one strap long enough to wear on my shoulder and at least one outside pocket and a zip top but am willing to bend on one or more of those. I've been eyeing the Kirsten tote. Any thoughts on it or others that might work? I prefer leather (as long as it's not patent) but would consider fabric. TIA.

I don't know how casual you want the bag to appear....assuming that vacation = mostly casual, here's my thoughts -

The Chelsea tote (except for the inlaid C ones) look very business-like to me. Also, they have a breakaway zipper, which many people find inconvenient and might be a worry security-wise.

The Kristen totes are lovely and dress up or down but I would personally find them a little heavy for a vacation bag. Not sure how much you plan on carrying with you but I wouldn't find that bag that comfortable touring around vacation spots.

My suggestion is one of the Poppy Glam Totes. They come in a zillion different patterns, and there's a really cute whipstitch one out for Spring, and i do think I saw a turquoise leather one too. The fabric ones are super lightweight, and hold a TONNNNNNNNNNNN of stuff. I think it's a bag that can work with anyone's wardrobe, depending on the pattern/leather.

Good luck and have a great time!

I don't know how casual you want the bag to appear....assuming that vacation = mostly casual, here's my thoughts -

The Chelsea tote (except for the inlaid C ones) look very business-like to me. Also, they have a breakaway zipper, which many people find inconvenient and might be a worry security-wise.

The Kristen totes are lovely and dress up or down but I would personally find them a little heavy for a vacation bag. Not sure how much you plan on carrying with you but I wouldn't find that bag that comfortable touring around vacation spots.

My suggestion is one of the Poppy Glam Totes. They come in a zillion different patterns, and there's a really cute whipstitch one out for Spring, and i do think I saw a turquoise leather one too. The fabric ones are super lightweight, and hold a TONNNNNNNNNNNN of stuff. I think it's a bag that can work with anyone's wardrobe, depending on the pattern/leather.

You make some excellent points. I had even read mention of the zipper "problem" on the reviews for the Chelsea, although I'm not exactly sure what a breakaway zipper is.

I will definitely check out your recommendation. Thanks so much.

I took a look, and I like everything but the darn strap drop. I wish it were just a couple inches longer, but I know that's not the style now.

Any suggestions for a bag that would work well for a summer trip this year abroad? I'd prefer one strap long enough to wear on my shoulder and at least one outside pocket and a zip top but am willing to bend on one or more of those. I've been eyeing the Kirsten tote. Any thoughts on it or others that might work? I prefer leather (as long as it's not patent) but would consider fabric. TIA.

Big thumbs up for the Kristin zip tote. Disclaimer, I regularly carry laptops in big heavy bags, so for me the Kristin is petite and lightweight. The only thing lighter that fits my laptop easily is my old Alexandra, and my longchamp pliage (and it is always worth having one of those while traveling!) Plus the pocket on the front is handy, the leather is durable and can be cleaned easily (at least on some), and it just looks so trim even when it is stuffed full. It looks much better IRL than on the website.

The one thing it doesn't have (that the Alexandra does) is a cross bodystrap, which comes in very handy when getting through crowded train stations and fumbling for tickets and so on.