Please help me find a handbag (not baby bag)!

dnereid

Jan 7, 2008
Hi Ladies,

I am a newbie and this is only my 2nd post. And I need your help in finding a perfect bag.

When I was single I used to carry slim handbags... my largest was the original Kate Spade Union Sq. I had Coach buffalo wallets before they went "signature". Yes, I am a plain sorta girl who likes to look at purses (who doesnt) but buys only what she needs. Jeans/t-shirts, often sneakers, dark hair.

I have a kid who's 2 and he needs sippy cups, change of clothes and snacks. I am sick of carrying the diaper bag around, and I need a handbag that doesnt scream "baby bag" that I can carry around daily, even without the kid (and it doesnt look like luggage). I like simple shapes, even masculine looking bags that have a feminine touch (rouche, buckle etc). Neutral colors, not too much hardware, enough pockets (need to keep a bottle upright), not a lot of logo, no patent. Would like the top to close/zip. I so far like the DB Chiara small, Cole Haan Triple Zip Soft Purse, Michael Kors Desert Satchel. I liked the Coach Sabrina but I think the shoulder strap makes the shape funky. I am not sure there is a good department store that has enough bags to choose from, the online collections at Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Saks were not too helpful. Can you help me? I am lost in a sea of bags :nuts: I have about $400 to "invest". Thank you, D

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. Its tough... I also like the MK rehearsal but I think its too big :sad: Btw, the other bags I mentioned are just for references... I wont really buy a patent Chiara or a Sabrina with logos :P

What about Ignes? You can customize w/ over 100 leathers and make modifications. I think a few shapes might work for you- the mini Ormala or full size (depending on how much you carry), Gabrielle, or the new Emilia bag. The price point is under what you are looking for with a first time buyer discount. You can poke around the Ignes forum if you are interested.

Or, what about a Belen Echandia second hand? The Make Me Smile is a nice size for your items and baby items. There are some second hand ones on Bonanzle in really good shape at nice prices- the Love Me or Take Me Everywhere would work too, I think. BE is another custom brand.

Here is a full size MMS on sale (not mine) for reference:

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/llcl...Make_Me_Smile__Full_size__in_Navy_Sheen_REDUC

TME in a fantastic leather- like Prada's cervo (a bit above price, but you might be able to do a lower offer if you like the style and leather in the end):

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/Exce...NTIC_BELEN_ECHANDIA_BLACK_PEBBLED_GLOSSSY_TME

ETA: neither bag for sale is mine.

Last edited:
420621065_e7c83daad4.jpg
I bought this bag when I was going through the same thing. I would use it with a purseket or purse to go and then you can put a bottle in it. I also use my Baggallini expandable tote for more casual outings or rain. This is not my picture, I googled it and found this but I have the exact same one. It is a large coach ergo tote in smooth leather camel color. They came in black and white and in pebbled leather too.

Not Rational has a few luscious leather diaper bags that are essentially the same: the Fab and the Hansel (has a messenger strap too). Four generous outside bottle pockets, simple style, versatile.

The dimensions sound huge but when less full it collapses down and it also sort of hugs your body so it "corners" really well. The capacity is huge, but I use it all the time as a "me" bag with just a wallet, sunglasses, phone, and keys and it drapes fine.

I have a picture of it in my profile album but it's pretty full there. When it's not stuffed it drapes wonderfully, like an old leather jacket.

:smile:

Ebags was a good idea... thank you! I still NEED/WANT a handbag... my diaper bags days are over. Come to think of it... I only need a bottle of water, and a snack to fit with the rest of my usual junk. So a nice everyday HANDBAG. With external pockets and zipped interior would be wonderful.. not tote or overnight bag or baby bag :sad:
I am digging Michael Kors quite a bit... Gansevoort satchel in walnut or Desert Large satchel in blue or luggage... Anyone own these? Love/hate these? Any place to score them cheap (the Gansevoort especially). Thanks a ton!
PS: Mrs MC is that a Cole Haan Village triple zip? How do you like that?

Ebags was a good idea... thank you! I still NEED/WANT a handbag... my diaper bags days are over. Come to think of it... I only need a bottle of water, and a snack to fit with the rest of my usual junk. So a nice everyday HANDBAG. With external pockets and zipped interior would be wonderful.. not tote or overnight bag or baby bag :sad:
I am digging Michael Kors quite a bit... Gansevoort satchel in walnut or Desert Large satchel in blue or luggage... Anyone own these? Love/hate these? Any place to score them cheap (the Gansevoort especially). Thanks a ton!
PS: Mrs MC is that a Cole Haan Village triple zip? How do you like that?
It is in gunmetal, the large version. I love it and I have 2 kids. My only complaint is that it doesn't work well overstuffed and doesn't fit over the shoulder comfortably when stuffed. Otherwise I used the middle compartment for my stuff and it fits a lot ! The side compartment I use for each child but can't comfortably fit an entire change of clothing for both kids but the bare essentials, ie a change of shirt both could wear if needed and a pair of leggings and regular pants, one pair of socks and underwear, a few diapers wipes, etc. I wish it had a shoulder strap. I think a convertible bag in this style like the dr Q groove by MBMJ or the Coach Sabrina would be better suited for every day use.

I have a 1.5yr old and a 3 yr old and I've gone through COUNTLESS different diaper bags and handbags-doubling-as-diaper-bag. Main grouse with Diaper Bags is they are ugly in shape, or MUMSY, or TOO big or un-cool/stylish. Big handbags however lack the compartments and the functionality/water-proof parts that don't make me scream everytime a water bottle leaks, or when accidents happen

I have been carrying a new bag for 2 days and believe it is the best bag for bringing kids out so far - for me. It's the STORKSAK EMILY bag which I admit I got when I saw Angelina Jolie carrying it in a magazine. You can google "ANgelina Jolie diaper bag" for pix.

I wish I had gotten it BEFORE I bought any of the dozen bags that I used.
(1) It's stylish and holds lots.
(2) Totally nylon everywhere - it's LIGHT and waterproof.
(3) Sensible compartments, especially the 2 bottle pockets are the side that are great for my 2 kids' bottles. AND THEY DON'T STICK OUT OF THE SIDES of the bag like the rest of the mumsy bags, showing the whole world your kiddy bottles. There are 6 intermal compartments that are BIG ENOUGH. I hate those bags that supposedly have many compartments but you can't even fit a big wallet into one of them and you have to throw it together with other stuff. And best of all, the bag DOES NOT BECOME miss-shapen when you fill the internal pockets.
(4) Great adjustable strap. On my one arm, I can easily carry one kid on the other, and can access bottles easily, or my handphone readily cos the heigh is PERFECT (for most of the tote ones I find it very hard to raise the arm/shoulder to reach inside the bag when i'm carrying kids and other stuff) (4a) Carrying it cross-body, it FITS PERFECTLY
round your hips and butt and doesn't slip/get in your way and you don't feel like something is jutting out of your body cos it wraps well around your body!

A really great diaper bag that I wish I had from day1 - my daughter will be nappy trained soon and I have less reason to bring a diaper bag around, but hey it's so stylish and functional and can hold all my kids' stuff and my things together, and looks COOL. If I must think of a minus pt, I will have to say that it lacks small handles that allow me to hand carry it - but why would I want to do that when I have 2 small ones to hold? (I had the Kate Spade stevie diaper bag and found that hanging it from my forearm looks good but not really practical.)

hOPE THIs helps - it's totally subjective, of course.

oops sorry for looong post... I just need to add that when I just want to zip in and out for errands with one kid, I am now using a Botkier Sasha duffel (medium), which is perfect size for everyday bag (it wears 3 ways) BUT it's a leather one and I have to make sure that the trip should be danger-free. You can also consider a Botkeir Sasha in nylon for your purposes it's a fantastic everyday bag and you can change the look according to how many things you have !