please help me decide on which Birkin!

Sushi789

O.G.
Jul 30, 2006
Hello,

I have been on the hunt for my next Birkin and have narrowed it down to two very similar bags and have some questions and would LOVE opinions....

Ebene evercalf 35cm with PHW
OR
Chocolate clemence 35cm with PHW

Price and condition are the same.

Obviously I want dark brown, but my concern about the ebene bag is that it will look too much like black? (my other Birkin is a 30cm black with GHW.) Any opinions on evercalf? It is softer than box, right?

I like everything about the chocolate clemence, but worry that it will be heavy. In the past I have been turned off by the weight of a 35cm Birkin because I had always chosen heavy leathers.

My black Birkin is togo, so I already have a similar leather to clemence... for that reason I think I prefer the ebene evercalf, but again I worry it will look black and not dark brown.

Any advice?

If you have a black birkin already, I'd really go for something else more different from it. A pop of color. But if you want a safe color, may I suggest going for a neutral shade: Gold or Etoupe, or even Rouge H.

I have a black birkin as well, but also an etoupe one too. I find in summer months I gravitate towards my etoupe birkin more b/c it goes with everything and won't feel or look heavy.

On leather, yes I do feel clemence is heavier. My 30 etoupe birkin in togo is a lot lighter than my 35 black birkin in clemence. Granted the size difference, but leather really is different too.

Have fun shopping for your next big purchase. With that much money to spend, you really should LOVE it.:biggrin:

I just got a KP in Ebene Evercalf - let me just say that I LOVE the color!!! It is very rich and yummy...originally, I had wanted a Black Swift which I saw afterwards. So glad that I got the Ebene because the Black looked flat in comparison. Ebene is a dark milk chocolate - not quite dark chocolate to use a food analogy.

The bag is pretty new but it is very soft and doesn't seem as hardy as clemence or togo. It can be easy to scratch, though I've read here that's it's easy to rub out the scratches. I would guess that a bag in 35 would slouch in evercalf because I see a slight slough in the KP when I don't have anything in there. This is my personal opinion so perhaps the more experienced H TP'ers can weigh in, but the Clemence would be lower maintenance. BUT I really love the color and leather of the Ebene Evercalf!!! I wouldn't trade it for the world, despite the downsides.

I like the chocolate clemence. I think it will be a bit more obvious that it is brown instead of possibly black/brown. I don't really find much of a difference between difference leathers, but that's just me. There is a pretty significant difference in weight between 30 and 35 though. I have an evergrain kp and it has a very nice sheen to it and feels very soft to the hand. I don't have any scratches on my kp, but I don't carry it everyday and it is very small. I don't know it such a big bag might be more prone to scratching. The clemence bag would be a little lower maintence. For me, I think I would go with the chocolate for the color.

Let me just preface with the fact that possibly I will be of NO help. LOL!

I am not familiar with evercalf. IF it is like evergrain (don't know if they are different leathers or just a different name) I would say it's a wonderful leather and definitely worth considering.

I am in love with the hardiness and ease of clemence and probably would prefer chocolate myself to ebene - since I already have a black 35. The way I load my bags, a 25 cm would be too heavy - LOL! So weight really isn't a factor for me. They are always too heavy. :biggrin:

BUT, IMO, togo and clemence are vastly different. I may be in the minority here, but they are to me - the hand is so different. So when you say "My black Birkin is togo, so I already have a similar leather to clemence" it doesn't compute. LOL!

Since you already own a 30 black birkin, I would suggest you to pick chocolate for your next bag. Ebene is dark dark brown, almost similar to black. Chocolate in clemence is a rich brown colour. I do not find any great difference in weight between 35 togo and 35 clemence.

thanks so much for the advice everyone!

I decided on the ebene actually... the softness of the leather just really seduced me. I do realize the color might be very similar to my 30cm black, but I am hoping that the size, hardware, and leather/texture difference will make it different enough. As much as I adore my 30cm, I mostly wear it in the evenings or on the random day; it's a bit too small for me for every day.

Anyway, maybe I will do a reveal when Miss Ebene arrives.:P

thanks again for the advice!

just repeating what the others say.
ebene is too close to black. chocolate is a beautiful color.

just saw your post. you did right, go with what your heart really loves :smile: ebene is gorgeous

thanks so much for the advice everyone!

I decided on the ebene actually... the softness of the leather just really seduced me. I do realize the color might be very similar to my 30cm black, but I am hoping that the size, hardware, and leather/texture difference will make it different enough. As much as I adore my 30cm, I mostly wear it in the evenings or on the random day; it's a bit too small for me for every day.

Anyway, maybe I will do a reveal when Miss Ebene arrives.:P

thanks again for the advice!

I got to this thread to late;) In any case I think you made the right decision. Between the two browns, I feel ebene is just so absolutely stunning. I also am not a huge fan of clemence personally, and since you already have a togo bag it would be too similar in texture.

Congrats!

Miss Ebene arrived already (just in time for my bday!) and I am THRILLED with her. I love the color and the leather, and the way the color catches the light and changes. It has the perfect amount of slouchiness for me, and is very lightweight.

I've also included a pic next to my 30cm Black Birkin with GHW-- the two bags are definitely different enough for me.

Attachments

• IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5836.jpg
    IMG_5836.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 118