Please help me decide on diamond

J_love_Chanel

Nov 16, 2018
Hi lovely jewellery lovers,

I am in a process of purchasing a loose diamond for my upgrade e-ring. My old e ring is a tiny 0.78 carat which my hubby got for me 15 years ago.
I am looking at two stones which are very similar in price- only about £100 difference FYI.

First stone is H 2.01carat SI1 triple Ex with no fluorescence.
Second one is G 1.75carat VS2 triple Ex with no fluorescence.

Both are eye clean although on the plot you can see more clouds and crsytals(clear ones) on H one- I guess that’s why it’s SI1.

Now, I am really unsure which one is a better buy... please help! I would really appreciate amy of your inputs. Thanks!

Thank you so much for all your inputs!
With my first e ring, I was so focused on the quality of stone- it’s D VVS1- I ended up going for very small stone which I ended up regretting after 10 years thinking that I should have gone for lower colour and clarity but bigger size as it looked very small on my aging hand after wearing it for over 10 years. That’s why I wasn’t sure whether to go for lower grade 2 carat or better quality stone of smaller size.
It looks like everyone is voting for G colour. I guess size isn’t everything.
Again, thank you for helping me decide! It is G!

If it is eye clean then I wouldn’t worry too much about the plot but do read exactly what the inclusions, clouds, etc. are and make sure none could lead to the stone chipping or fracturing. To your eye can you tell the difference in color? Have you compared the color in different lighting? If the color bothers you then go with the G, if not go with the bigger stone, it would be a lovely upgrade and you’ll find the stats mean less as you wear and enjoy the ring for years.

Thank you so much for all your inputs!
With my first e ring, I was so focused on the quality of stone- it’s D VVS1- I ended up going for very small stone which I ended up regretting after 10 years thinking that I should have gone for lower colour and clarity but bigger size as it looked very small on my aging hand after wearing it for over 10 years. That’s why I wasn’t sure whether to go for lower grade 2 carat or better quality stone of smaller size.
It looks like everyone is voting for G colour. I guess size isn’t everything.
Again, thank you for helping me decide! It is G!
Is the difference in size between the two stones very significative when you put the diamonds on your finger ?
If not, I would'nt go with an SI for such a big stone.
Please, show us your new ring when you'll have it.

Reactions: J_love_Chanel
If it is eye clean then I wouldn’t worry too much about the plot but do read exactly what the inclusions, clouds, etc. are and make sure none could lead to the stone chipping or fracturing. To your eye can you tell the difference in color? Have you compared the color in different lighting? If the color bothers you then go with the G, if not go with the bigger stone, it would be a lovely upgrade and you’ll find the stats mean less as you wear and enjoy the ring for years.
Honestly, I am not an expert really so i couldn’t tell too much of difference in terms of colour. In fact, even compared with my quite dirty looking D colour ring ( I am terrible at cleaning my ring), I could hardly tell any difference in colour.. haha..

Is the difference in size between the two stones very significative when you put the diamonds on your finger ?
If not, I would'nt go with an SI for such a big stone.
Please, show us your new ring when you'll have it.
I actually didn’t compare two stones side by side together as these two stones are from different vendors but both looked good on my hand ( I have fairly small hand). On that note, maybe G colour is way forward?