Please help me decide... Givenchy Antigona or Balenciaga Classic City?

shida25

I love bags!
O.G.
Jan 20, 2010
I am getting ready to invest in a new bag. I have never spent that much on a bag before, but I really think it is time. I have had my eyes on the City for a good while, I am attracted to the simplicity of the bag, it seems to be very versatile, to me it almost seems like it can be dressed up or down. However, ever since I laid eyes on the Givenchy Antigona, for some reason it calls me. I am leaning towards the shiny Lord bag with the smooth leather and the gold hardware, but I am worried about scratches. I also think the small bag may be too small and the medium bag too large for my frame. I am about 5'8 and curvy. Any honest feedback will be most appreciated!

I love the antigona, I have the black shiny calf in small. I can't say about it getting scratched easy as I've only had it a few weeks but I've heard its more durable than it looks. I'm 5.4" and the small is fine but I think with your height the medium will not look too big. But it's quite heavy whereas the bal is a much lighter bag so it depends if this is a factor for you

These are two very different bags you're choosing from. Maybe this will sway your decision.
The Antigona is very structured and the shiny Lord, the finish is gorgeous especially with GHW. Due to the size and finish, I would think it will lean towards a more dressy vibe. The Bal City, the lamb is so soft and smooshy and can easily be dressed up or down. Either one you choose, I don't think you can do no wrong. Good luck and can't wait to see which you pick!

The medium Antigona would be a good size on you, and if you're willing to go with the sugar leather, the scratching won't be as much an issue, plus the grain and sh dress it down a bit. I think the city is currently overpriced and not durable enough. Ultimately, it needs to be love. All issues aside, which do you love?

I see you've already gotten a lot of great advice here, OP! I'll add my 2 cents, though some of the things I will say have been mentioned by the posters before me already.

Both bags are great - I don't own an Antigona, but I appreciate its design, and everything about it (I understand why it's considered an "It" bag). If it fit my lifestyle better, I might have gotten around to getting one for myself. Meanwhile, I own a Balenciaga City which I love - it's super lightweight; the quality is good (for me, so far); the color is just lovely; it fits my lifestyle, my vibe, and my personality perfectly.

That being said - which one suits YOUR lifestyle and vibe more? Which will get more usage? And yes, as someone also mentioned - which do YOU love more? They are two very different types of bags - one super slouchy, and one very structured. It would depend on which one makes your heart beat a little bit faster, and which one would be more worth it to you (especially since this will be your first bag in that price range).

Good luck to you on your decision!

I personally prefer the Antigona bag a tiny bit more. I like the classic and more elegant design. Ultimately it really depends what fits your style best.
What always helps me decided is googling images of the bags worn...

Bal city:
http://averagejayneblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bal-black-rh-city.jpg

Antigona:
http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/1f0npt-l.jpg

I think the medium would be a great size for you! I'd chose medium at 5'5", and since you are taller it will definitely not look too big

I had the Balenciagia City (black with silver hardware) with the objective of treating it as a workhorse-bag because of its perfect tote-like size. Because it was on the expensive side, I had a tendency to baby it and after realizing I wasn't using it much, I sold it and downsized to a much smaller First.

Personally, I'd go for the Antigona....I feel like the style is more versatile. I found my City to be a bit too "punk" for office settings (unless, of course, one works in the fashion industry or some other company that is younger and less conservative). I ended up carrying my City around only when I was on my own time and that's why I downsized to the First b/c the City was just too large to be hauling to dinner and nights-out with friends.

I like the sleekness and design-neutrality of the Antigona and how you can dress it up or dress it down depending on the situation. But of course, the decision is up to you and both bags are gorgeous in their own right!

Antigona is a structured bag and I heard it is heavy. The other hand City is more casual, slouchy and light weight. I personally will go for City as it seems more versatile for my life style. I feel that Antigona is like a LV speedy bag, but it's getting popular. I've seen many gals carrying it lately.

All else being equal, I'd go for the City because it's much lighter. My Antigona is only a small and it's still very heavy for me.

I agree with the comment above that if you go for the Antigona, maybe think about the sugar leather for durability.

Anyway, the two are so different stylistically that you might even want to buy one now and save up to buy the other one later. :smile:

Personally, I'd go for the Antigona....I feel like the style is more versatile. I found my City to be a bit too "punk" for office settings (unless, of course, one works in the fashion industry or some other company that is younger and less conservative). I ended up carrying my City around only when I was on my own time and that's why I downsized to the First b/c the City was just too large to be hauling to dinner and nights-out with friends.

I like the sleekness and design-neutrality of the Antigona and how you can dress it up or dress it down depending on the situation. But of course, the decision is up to you and both bags are gorgeous in their own right!

Excellent points. I love the city (and desperately want one!), but it isn't as "neutral" as the Antigonia and may be more limiting.

I would go for the Antigona over the City. I think it will be more versatile but would recommend trying both sizes on to see which suit your height and build. I am 5'6 and quite curvy at a US 10/UK 14 and assumed the medium would suit me best (I owned a medium in red goat leather for a short while), but in fact I still found it too big for my frame and heavy to carry.

You've gotten some great advice on this thread already but I'll add my 2 cents. I'm not really much of a Bal girl but I currently own the Shiny Lord Antigona in the medium, size which is pretty large. I understand what you mean by being drawn to it because I HAD TO HAVE IT! Absolutely love it and it is a compliment magnet! I use it with dressy attire as well as casual...just depends on the look you are going for. I don't own a Bal but from what I've seen it may be considered a more casual bag. So my vote is the Antigona! Once you've been bitten by this bag bug it wouldn't shock me to see that you will own both bags eventually! LOL!

These are all great responses as well as two great choices. I vote for Balenciaga City but if you're looking for a more structured, conservative style bag then go for the Antigona. Good Luck deciding. Both beautiful bags.

I own both in black. Medium Ant and bal giant city. And i would recommend both equally !
I'm a mother of three lil boys so I had to use the Bal more often than my structured Ant. Cos Bal is lighter to carry around their gadgets n stuffs when they're tired taking care of it themselves!
Ant although bit on the heavy side it's totally worth the feeling of elegance yet mixed with edgy style of the hardware.

I'd suggest buy the Ant first ( its a gorgoeus IT bag) then later the ever popular balenciaga. All the best with your new baby!