Please help me decide. Blue Nile studs v old studs...pics

paruparo

Live.Laugh.Love.
O.G.
Nov 16, 2009
A few days ago, i enlisted your help http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/diamon-studs-please-helo-me-choose-644597.html

Today, i got my blue nile studs, and i am not as wowed as i thought i would be... here's why:

My current studs are .58 ct (1.16 cttw), i am not sure about the color or cut as it was a gift from my dad 15 years ago. i just know it sparkles like crazy, the only thing i notice about it with my naked eye is that the girdle is a bit thick. This pair is currently set in a 4 prong basket.

Blue nile pair are .60 ct (1.20 cctw), I color, VS2, Signature Ideal set in a 3 prong martini.

I am going to attach pictures... im confused if i should keep my current pair and just return the blue nile one? i am giving my current ones away to my sister if i keep the blue nile.

I would really REALLY appreciate your input ladies! I am attaching a ton of pics...

Old studs, on ear
20kbrb6.jpg

Blue Nile, on ear
5z9yq.jpg

Left, old stud. Right, blue nile. Old stud when compared to the blue nile one, seems similar in color
2zya1hi.jpg

Left, old stud. Right, blue nile
156am49.jpg

Studs, old, 4 prong basket setting,
amuljr.jpg

Blue nile studs, 3 prong martini, I color, VS2
33wy1ow.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer the Blue Nile studs, they look...crisper and clearer, for lack of a better way to put it. But if you are leaning toward the pair you already own then I would definitely keep those and return the Blue Nile ones.

AME: not sure what the cut quality is on the old pair. It was a gift from 15 years ago. I've taken them to a jeweled and was told they're good studs but have never gotten them appraised.

STOPHLE: at this point the only reason I am leaning towards the old pair is coz it looks the same to me... so I need your opinions, lol.

If I end up returning the blue Nile, I think I am meeting myself some Tahitian pearl studs instead. I don't want to go bigger for diamond studs. I just for the blue Nile ones coz I thought it would be so very obvious different from the old ones....
Hope I'm making sense.. :smile:

BN one looks more crisp with higher contrast.

Unless your old studs were drastically not that great of a cut (since they were a gift I bet they're quite good), I doubt that there would be much of a difference enough to get a NEW pair that's almost the same size.

Also, when diamonds are set, colors tend to look more similar to each other. How about switching to other stud earring shapes?

I agree with the blue nile ones looking "crisper" even to the naked eye from this picture, I see what that could mean.

Paruparo - you said the old ones sparkle like crazy, so I say keep them! I'm sure you spent a lot of money and I think it's not a big enough difference unless you truly feel different wearing them. I'm sure someone looking at your earrings from afar wouldn't notice the size difference at all.

I believe the BN look like a great set; however they are very similar to your old studs. Would you consider saving for a larger size? What prompted the desire for new studs? Your old studs are beautiful.

Thanks ladies. I know its the same shape (round) and the carat weight is pretty much the same (old 1.16 and new 1.20 total). What prompted me to get new ones was because i thought the blue nile one would blow my mind away. Since i do not know the measurements/details of the old, i thought they might be a bit more... "inferior"?

Looking at them really closely, i see what you all mean by the BN looks "crisper". However, on me, i do think they look very similar. I dont necessarily want to go up in terms of size as i like these just fine.

so , i want to make sure, if i return the BN ones, i wont regret it. But i also dont want to regret if i give away the old ones, so i want to hear all sorts of thoughts and opinions :smile: i understand its my decision in the end, but hearing everyone else's thoughts brings a fresh outlook :P