Please help me choose my first CSGM shawl...

QuelleFromage

Not my circus, not my monkeys
O.G.
Jan 15, 2011
Scarfies.....I need your wise (and opinionated) counsel, if a couple of you will possibly do me the honour.
The only GM I have right now is a mousseline (which I adore) and I have yet to buy a cashmere/silk GM. I have a credit with a reseller and have decided to levy it against a GM. I now have four choices. My style tends to the boho/edgy. I wear mainly neutral, simple, classic clothing most days (and usually jeans) and use accessories to set the look. At night I wear dark dresses (black, dark blues) and it would be great to have a wrap for them. I'm trying to wear more colour - besides blue! I have dark blonde/light brown hair, green eyes, and fair skin. Soft pinks/blues/greens always suit me but sometimes brights are surprisingly great.
Note that all these scarves are sale scarves, which doesn't bother me but I know I can't resell them easily should they not work out. The prices are pretty much identical.
So....

Parures des Maharajas in the Rose Indien/Khaki/Chartreuse colorway (fuschia, basically. Bright for me but a happy colour).

Clic Clac a Pois in the Beige/Noir/Gris colorway (this is neutral but has soft pink which I love and I love the way it is worn on H.com).

Colliers de Chiens in the Fuschia/Turquoise/Grenat colorway. (Again, the way that this is worn on H.com is just beautiful. Seems versatile.)

Songe de la Licorne in the Blanc/Iris/Rose colorway. Also seems super versatile.

I am deeply grateful and will take any advice/experience/mod shots :heart: :heart: :ty:

If you love polka dots, get the clic clac a pois! I love it so much that I have it in 2 colorways and 1 of them is the exact colorway you mentioned. It's a great neutral and is very versatile, whimsical.

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I think considering your style, by design, either Parures des Maharajas or Songe de la Licorne suits you the best. By colour I like Songe de la Licorne cw more than Parures, but I'm a bit biased cause I love white. :biggrin: In my eyes, the Songe dlL cw is more fresh, more versatile and it'll bring out the colour of your eyes.
Have fun deciding and looking forward to your reveal! :smile:

Last edited:
I am so far not in the majority here but I like the the Parures and CDC scarf. Of these I only own the Parures I. The colorway you are considering. The first time I bought it it was for a friend and wasn't fond of it but after seeing her wear it and trying it in I was hooked and now I love it madly. I am not boho at all but classic and edgy in style at times. The Parures I think has both boho and the color makes it more edgy and striking. I like the CDC also and think it would look great.

Songe de la licorne. I think it has soft colors great for your coloring, goes with almost every bag color, and has the very nice details that only H gives you. CCAP is nice too, but polka dots are not too signature H for me.

Parures des Maharajas in the Rose Indien/Khaki/Chartreuse colorway (fuschia, basically. Bright for me but a happy colour).

Clic Clac a Pois in the Beige/Noir/Gris colorway (this is neutral but has soft pink which I love and I love the way it is worn on H.com).

Colliers de Chiens in the Fuschia/Turquoise/Grenat colorway. (Again, the way that this is worn on H.com is just beautiful. Seems versatile.)

Songe de la Licorne in the Blanc/Iris/Rose colorway. Also seems super versatile.

I am deeply grateful and will take any advice/experience/mod shots :heart: :heart: :ty:
FYI, Songe de la Licorne and Clic Clac are current season shawls. If they are on sales in Paris already, there must be some defects with them (misprint/snags/holes), with or without your seller knowing.
I think I know the seller you're trying to buy these shawls from. You can order brand new perfect shawls from her bought from Paris boutiques as she's a personal shopper. There's no need to pay full price for sales shawls that are still available in the boutique.

Dear QuelleFromage, this is not an easy choice, but I would choose the CdC shawl.

My DF has exactly the same cw and the combo of colours is simply beautiful. It will suit your mainly dark dresses perfectly but also bring enough contrast.
This design looks even better when tied, because it has a lot of different colours and structures on it.
Also for your "edgy" style I would go with the CdC: it is a more graphic and somehow "modern" pattern IMO than the SdlL and PdM (which I also love, I have the PdM in blanc also from the Sale!)
Hope this helps!
:heart:

I vote for either Parures or CDC. Clic Clac a Pois was a big hit, but my coloration is similar to yours (though my eyes are more brown/hazel) and this CW fell a little flat on me. Plus, as someone else said, polka dots don't really speak Hermes to me, and having them in a design can be limiting, especially if this is going to be your only Cashmere GM for a while.

I love the bright colors in Parures and CDC, especially with a very neutral, black and/or blue wardrobe. There are bunches of photos of Sylvie Meis wearing CDC in what I think is the same CW on the Stars and Public Figures forum, and she pulls if off wonderfully with a boho chic feel. I think those CWs will really pop on you!

Not a fan of Licorne, sadly -- somehow that design is too busy for my taste.

I echo the recommendations for Parures or CCaP. I love Parures-- that beautiful drape of jewels-- but CCaP might be the "safer" choice because it's such a flattering neutral. Yet it isn't boring-- a quirky twist on classic polka-dots.

As for its being a sale scarf-- Chestnutty, I trust your lexical knowledge of silks more than my own, so I'm hesitant to say this, but isn't this one from a season or two ago? I agree that's still early for sale-- but I got this colorway myself in the sale and mine is perfect (you know I pored over every inch of it like the certifiable silk nut I am). Still always worth double-checking with resellers on sale scarf condition, of course!

What fun, choosing your first!
The CCAP is the safest choice, as it is the most neutral. This one won't be as obvious if you wear it often. I tend to think it's best to start with a neutral and go from there. This won't be your last, trust me!

I find white difficult to pull off, the only exception being my white Equateur 140 silk, which works because the coloration is so subtle. Others look fabulous in white with bright colors, so think about how that combo works for you. I personally prefer neutral/ oatmeal shawls to white, but that's just me.

The Parures de Maharajas and the CDC are both fabulous statement pieces, but as such, don't lend themselves to frequent wear like the CCaP.

How do you envision wearing your GM? Bias fold, cowboy style, triangle draped over the shoulders? Give that some consideration as well. The CDC can have several different looks depending on the fold, to the pint where it can seem like two different GMs, but I do not care for it in the triangle draped over the shoulders. The PdM looks pretty much the same regardless of how one folds it.

Here are some pics of PdM and CDC:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406993920.277014.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406993946.636570.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406993969.037430.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406993993.517741.jpg

FYI, Songe de la Licorne and Clic Clac are current season shawls. If they are on sales in Paris already, there must be some defects with them (misprint/snags/holes), with or without your seller knowing.
I think I know the seller you're trying to buy these shawls from. You can order brand new perfect shawls from her bought from Paris boutiques as she's a personal shopper. There's no need to pay full price for sales shawls that are still available in the boutique.
Thanks, Chestnutty! It's not the same seller, though. All but one of these shawls is on H.com and i'm sure I can get from my SA, but I'm trying to use up a truly useless credit. Although the shawls are priced at retail (hate resellers) they will end up costing me around $650-$700 USD which seems like a good experiment in GM shawl :P:

What fun, choosing your first!
The CCAP is the safest choice, as it is the most neutral. This one won't be as obvious if you wear it often. I tend to think it's best to start with a neutral and go from there. This won't be your last, trust me!

I find white difficult to pull off, the only exception being my white Equateur 140 silk, which works because the coloration is so subtle. Others look fabulous in white with bright colors, so think about how that combo works for you. I personally prefer neutral/ oatmeal shawls to white, but that's just me.

The Parures de Maharajas and the CDC are both fabulous statement pieces, but as such, don't lend themselves to frequent wear like the CCaP.

How do you envision wearing your GM? Bias fold, cowboy style, triangle draped over the shoulders? Give that some consideration as well. The CDC can have several different looks depending on the fold, to the pint where it can seem like two different GMs, but I do not care for it in the triangle draped over the shoulders. The PdM looks pretty much the same regardless of how one folds it.

Here are some pics of PdM and CDC:

View attachment 2705747
View attachment 2705748

View attachment 2705749
View attachment 2705751
Kewave, MYH, GNIPPOHS, cr1stalangel, dessert1st, purselover88, Chestnutty, Kelly_76, catsinthebag, calexandre, Monceau - THANK YOU. Monceau these pictures are BEYOND helpful (and gorgeous). :cloud9: I think I am down to the CdC or the CCAP and yes, it's that choice between the subtle, more neutral coloration and the statement piece. Because I live day-to-day in either a t-shirt and jeans, a plain dress, or a printed dress, scarves are one of the statement makers - it's just that my scarf addiction (hard to admit here) is mainly to Etro :shame:. As I start down this very slippery H slope, it's hard to know what I will love!!
Monceau...I don't really know how I will wear it. I wear my moussie in a kind of informal wrap and my larger (100 to 170 cm) Etro scarves I just throw around my neck :shame: I am clearly a scarf ignoramus (I also subscribe to my husband's Italian "sprezzatura" theory of "Your scarf should never look like you thought about it, even if you did" :P )
One thing I do NOT have is a great wrap for air-conditioned restaurants and nights that start to chill, so I would be very happy if my choice worked in that area.
I am also concerned about the shawl being defective. The seller says they are perfect except for the "S" stamp, but I don't trust them. I have this gift credit and I want to use it and likely never buy from there again! :P Anyone have a modshot of the CCAP?