Please help me choose - Large Tribute tote or Rive Gauche

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
Hi everyone!

I've been on the hunt for a new bag, and decided that I really wanted a YSL - my first! I should say that I have been looking for a non-white bag that goes with navy and gray clothing in my wardrobe. I own mostly black and dark brown handbags, and I'm trying very hard to get out of that mindframe.

I ended up buying two very different YSL bags, but not sure which one I should keep, or if I should just return both.

The first is the Rive Gauche in Caramel:

(Picture from Bergdorf's)

The bag, to me, is a bit lighter IRL. I love the look of the bag, but I'm not entirely sold on it, especially because I am only 5'3". I think it's a great roomy bag, but I worry that it is overwhelming on me. I don't have pictures right now as it's being shipped to me.

I also purchased the Large Tribute tote in Dark Violet patent:

(picture of the black from Saks)

I like the shape of the bag, and had originally purchased it in the medium size earlier this year in black. I ended up returning the medium size because I felt that it was too small, but I do think the large is a bit too big. The violet patent is really pretty, but I'm really having a tough time accepting the color because it's such a departure for me. I have the mentality that if I am going to spend a lot of money on something, it better be a "safe" choice or color. Should I just get over it?

Which one should I keep? Or, should I return both and just wait for something better to come along? Am I settling because I want a something to go with all the navy and blue that I am wearing right now?

I appreciate all the help and advice! Thanks!

Yeah, loved the Rive Gauche when I saw it in the store. It is definitely a roomy bag. Dark violet sounds like an awesome color - wish I could see that one. Sounds like you have two great modern "neutrals". I would say you would do well with either. Sorry I can't be a decider for you! I guess I would go by price, if that even matters.

I think the Tribute tote is lovely and modern. I say keep that! I almost had one for myself, but Bluefly screwed up my order:tdown:. It worked out for me; i am getting a bbag with the money!:yahoo:I think you will find the leather and workmanship on ysl bags to be wonderful. They are not just a "designer bag" but are crafted of fine materials (much like bbags!)

I've seen the dark violet Tribute & it is gorgeous & very tempting but I would get the Rive Gauche because it's really a versatile bag you will actually use all year. It closes with a zipper or you can just turn the latch on the top flap .. it's very roomy & light weight & there are two sizes too.. I've got the large but the medium is really large enough for anyone. I got it on bluefly and they still have some at about $300 or $400 off. Mine is the ivory & it is really a super bag.

Nordstroms is having some YSL in their sale now at 30 to 40% off.. check deals & steals! You might want to call BG, NM & Saks to about YSL on sale.:wtf:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Does anyone here actually own the caramel Rive Gauche? If so, I would love to know how the color has held up. My hesistation on the color is that it's SO light and I feel like I would worry about the bag getting dirty so easily.