Please help me choose - Large Tribute tote or Rive Gauche

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi everyone!

I've been on the hunt for a new bag, and decided that I really wanted a YSL - my first! I should say that I have been looking for a non-white bag that goes with navy and gray clothing in my wardrobe. I own mostly black and dark brown handbags, and I'm trying very hard to get out of that mindframe.

I ended up buying two very different YSL bags, but not sure which one I should keep, or if I should just return both.

The first is the Rive Gauche in Caramel:

[​IMG]
    (Picture from Bergdorf's)

The bag, to me, is a bit lighter IRL. I love the look of the bag, but I'm not entirely sold on it, especially because I am only 5'3". I think it's a great roomy bag, but I worry that it is overwhelming on me. I don't have pictures right now as it's being shipped to me.

I also purchased the Large Tribute tote in Dark Violet patent:

[​IMG]
    (picture of the black from Saks)

I like the shape of the bag, and had originally purchased it in the medium size earlier this year in black. I ended up returning the medium size because I felt that it was too small, but I do think the large is a bit too big. The violet patent is really pretty, but I'm really having a tough time accepting the color because it's such a departure for me. I have the mentality that if I am going to spend a lot of money on something, it better be a "safe" choice or color. Should I just get over it?

Which one should I keep? Or, should I return both and just wait for something better to come along? Am I settling because I want a something to go with all the navy and blue that I am wearing right now?

I appreciate all the help and advice! Thanks!

2. Yeah, loved the Rive Gauche when I saw it in the store. It is definitely a roomy bag. Dark violet sounds like an awesome color - wish I could see that one. Sounds like you have two great modern "neutrals". I would say you would do well with either. Sorry I can't be a decider for you! I guess I would go by price, if that even matters.

3. I think the Tribute tote is lovely and modern. I say keep that! I almost had one for myself, but Bluefly screwed up my order:tdown:. It worked out for me; i am getting a bbag with the money!:yahoo:I think you will find the leather and workmanship on ysl bags to be wonderful. They are not just a "designer bag" but are crafted of fine materials (much like bbags!)

4. I like both, but prefer Rive Gauche

5. Rive Gauche for me...

6. I've seen the dark violet Tribute & it is gorgeous & very tempting but I would get the Rive Gauche because it's really a versatile bag you will actually use all year. It closes with a zipper or you can just turn the latch on the top flap .. it's very roomy & light weight & there are two sizes too.. I've got the large but the medium is really large enough for anyone. I got it on bluefly and they still have some at about $300 or $400 off. Mine is the ivory & it is really a super bag.

Nordstroms is having some YSL in their sale now at 30 to 40% off.. check deals & steals! You might want to call BG, NM & Saks to about YSL on sale.:wtf:

7. I would keep the Rive Gauche. I think it is a beautiful bag. I hope you enjoy it!

8. Rive Gauche!

9. Thanks for the suggestions!

Does anyone here actually own the caramel Rive Gauche? If so, I would love to know how the color has held up. My hesistation on the color is that it's SO light and I feel like I would worry about the bag getting dirty so easily.

10. another vote for the vg

11. Another vote for Rive Gauche.