Please help me buy the right classic flap!

unfamiliar

Feb 8, 2009
Hello, after hours of research, I decided to join this forum to ask the real experts. I am trying to get a gift for my wife. I know nothing about handbags. I do know that she has wanted a certain Chanel classic flap quilted bag for a long time. She has a smaller size classic flap...the Chanel sizes confuse me. The one she has is 25.5cm (10") x 14 (5) x 2 (5). I am not sure which size this is as it does not exactly match anything I have found, but I am looking for one size larger than what she owns, and in black. I think I want the large - not the jumbo. Is this the 226?

Anyways, I don't want to give away what country I am in because my wife may read this forum. It looks like the prices went up recently, and there may be a wait list, which I did not anticipate. I have a couple months of slack time before I need this gift.

Can anyone tell me what model I am looking for and what Chanel size it would be? Are these usually in stock at the Chanel store and/or boutiques? Any info you have would help. I have searched this forum but could not confirm the answers I need.

Thanks,

unfamiliar with purses

oh .... if only my husband is like you ... your wife is really lucky!!
I believe the 10" flap she has now is the one commonly known as the medium/large flap. I am no expert in chanel but the next size would have to be a jumbo (12") ...

I will be hardly surprised if indeed your wife is longing for a jumbo cos it is the size most popular among the gals here at this forum now ...

good luck!

I would agree with ririan and it sounds as if your wife is looking for the Jumbo classic flap and I would suggest that you might need to speak to a local boutique, since if you are hoping to purchase the bag in a couple of months, you might need to be on a wait-llist. I've been on a wait-list for several weeks now, hoping for a new bag in March. What a lovely idea to come to this forum for help and advice. I truly hope that you manage to secure a lovely bag for your wife. Best wishes.

Thanks for your help. What is one size down from Jumbo? I saw Jumbo at the store and I think I am looking for one size down. And what is the "Chanel" size (i.e. "226", etc.)?

I'm not an expert and only know a little bit about Chanel bags. There's the classic flap with size Jumbo and Medium/Large. Then there's the reissue with 225, 226, 227, 228. You can check the reference for more information.
Your wife is very luck.

For Timeless Classic Flaps, the sizes are Jumbo(12 inches),medlarge(10inches), small (9inches).......these flaps come with a CC logo infront

For reissue (or 2.55), the sizes are 227(around 12inches) 226(around 11inches).....these flaps come with a rectangular twist lock infront.

which design are you looking for?? If your wife already has a 10inch flap, I'll suggest you get a Jumbo Classic flap or a 227 , as 226 will be quite similar (in size) to your wife's current flap.
This is how a 227 matte black reissue looks like (also available in gold hardware) (Pic borrowed from fieryfashionist)
Missmatteblack227chillin.jpg

This is how a jumbo Classic Caviar flap looks like (also comes in lambskin or silver hardware) (borrowed from big_gental_cat)
IMG_1219.JPG

Hi big_gental_cat and Minal, hope you don't mind me borrowing your pics from the reference library :smile:

I would think your wife wants a 227 or a Jumbo.

The 226 is essentially the same size as the flap she has now. The numbers refer to the "reissue" flap bags with the mademoiselle twist locks. Jumbo, Medium, etc. refer to the CC with twist lock.

HTH!

Remember... one size up from what she has now is a Jumbo or a 227. They make a Maxi, which is even bigger than the Jumbo.

does she use the flap she has everyday? if not, maybe you could take hers to a store to compare sizes so you get the right one.

as far as what's in stock it all depends. every store is different as to what sizes and colors they get each season, but black is pretty common everywhere.

Thanks for your advice! She barely uses the existing bag so I have borrowed it to take to the store. I went the other day and thought it was the jumbo I wanted. The store had a size that looked like my wife's and the jumbo on display, but the lady told me there was a size in between but they were sold out. She said more would be in in 4 months. I think it is that size that I want. Not sure what size that is though.