Please help me buy 1st pair of 1 carat diamond earrings

roses5682

Jan 11, 2011
I'm looking to buy good quality 1 carat diamond earrings bezel set. I was thinking something that is VS1 or VVS2, Ideal cut, F color. Are these specs good or should I look for something else? I also dont know what I should be looking for in regards to: griddle, depth and table. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it matters I am thinking of purchasing from bluenile.com

You don't need a VVS or even a VS1 for an earring. Look for ~55-57% table, 61.5-62.5 depth, thin to medium range for girdle. Id look for G-J color and VS2ish clarity, that will give you the option to use them later as sidestones in a 3stone ring should you want to.

If you find pairs you want any input on, post the specs here (all the numbers!) and we can all chime in. Just because it's an F VVS does NOT mean it will sparkle. Cut is where it counts. Be sure you are searching for Ideals/Sig Ideals because the ranges on angles and percents should be closer to the best cut scale.

You don't need a VVS or even a VS1 for an earring. Look for ~55-57% table, 61.5-62.5 depth, thin to medium range for girdle. Id look for G-J color and VS2ish clarity, that will give you the option to use them later as sidestones in a 3stone ring should you want to.

If you find pairs you want any input on, post the specs here (all the numbers!) and we can all chime in. Just because it's an F VVS does NOT mean it will sparkle. Cut is where it counts. Be sure you are searching for Ideals/Sig Ideals because the ranges on angles and percents should be closer to the best cut scale.

Thanks so much!

how can one tell from the spec's listed if they are eye clean?

I found these any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Carat weight:

Cut:

Ideal

Ideal

Color:

H

H

Clarity:

VS2

VS2

Depth %:

Table %:

Polish:

Ideal

Ideal

Symmetry:

Ideal

Ideal

Girdle:

Thin to Medium, Faceted

Thin to Medium, Faceted

Culet:

None

None

Fluorescence:

Negligible

Negligible

Measurements:

5.23 x 5.30 x 3.23 mm

5.26 x 5.29 x 3.22 mm

how can one tell from the spec's listed if they are eye clean?
You really cant, at least not on blue nile. They don't keep the stones in house, so until it's set, they can't really look for you either. The plot on the cert will give an indication of what type it is, and that is where you can usually gauge what can be typically eyeclean.

I found these any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Carat weight:

Cut:

Ideal

Ideal

Color:

H

H

Clarity:

VS2

VS2

Depth %:

Table %:

Polish:

Ideal

Ideal

Symmetry:

Ideal

Ideal

Girdle:

Thin to Medium, Faceted

Thin to Medium, Faceted

Culet:

None

None

Fluorescence:

Negligible

Negligible

Measurements:

5.23 x 5.30 x 3.23 mm

5.26 x 5.29 x 3.22 mm
Any more information from the cert? Or links to the stones?

You can save a bit of money if you are willing to go under 1ctw. Mine is total .90 bezel set Ideal H, SI1 and no one is the wiser, except me, because I saved a ton of money being just under the .5 on each stone!

SO far this is all sorts of win. You can return them if you don't love them so that's a great deal.

First:
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.2 - Excellent

Second:
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.0 - Excellent

It is rare and damn near impossible to get all four as Excellent on the HCA. Usually three are Excellent and one is Very Good and thats usually about damn near as great as it gets there.

The only concerns I have is the crystal inclusions. If you can ask her if there are any inclusions visible to the naked eye (AT ALL) and if any are black, they should be able to tell you. But two AGS triple 0 stones with fairly nice ASETs...WIN.

Are they in your budget including the setting?