Please help me accessorize this dress!

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
Ladies, I need your help styling this dress. I'm trying to use a pair of shoes I already own so I won't have to buy a new pair. I have a pair of black suede open-toes CLs that I was thinking of wearing. The style is perfect with the dress (very similar to the style in the photo), but I'm not so sure about the suede. Are suede shoes OK for a black-tie event, or is suede too casual? It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to buy another pair of shoes, but I can't buy a pair of CLs right now. My shoe budget for this event is $100-$200.

I already have a bag (black satin/crystal Judith Leiber). What type of jewelry would you suggest? I have some fine jewelry I could wear (necklace, earrings, and bracelets). If I opt for costume jewelry my budget would be around $100-$200 as well.

Thanks so much -- I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Attachments

• TSDress.jpg
    TSDress.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 327
it would be easier if you can post the photos of the shoes and jewelries you had in mind....
it's a beautiful dress...

i think suede shoes are fine...but better to see the shoes photos.

i like the shoes you mentioned. for some reason i was thinking pointy toe black pumps without platform. it just seems it's a more cleaner a more classic shoes to go with the dress.
based on the sparkles of the dress, it looks silver tone to me so i would do silver bracelets and diamond (small-ish) earrings.

i like the shoes you mentioned. for some reason i was thinking pointy toe black pumps without platform. it just seems it's a more cleaner a more classic shoes to go with the dress.
based on the sparkles of the dress, it looks silver tone to me so i would do silver bracelets and diamond (small-ish) earrings.

I think that because of the dress length (and the fact that it is not a ball gown or formal long dress), suede shoes would be fine.

I love that dress! Its already sparkly so you won't need a lot of jewellery. The shoes sound fine.

Thanks ladies - I appreciate your feedback!

The neck is high enough that you don't need a necklace. I would say a nice pair of earrings (pearls, diamonds, or another stud), and a simple bracelet would do the trick. I picture something like a David Yurman bracelet with the onyx stone. You don't need too much jewelry - I personally think stacking bracelets and chunky statement necklaces are a little OTT/trendy for a black tie event.

I also agree with whoever said pointy toe pumps without platform. They seem a little dressier than peep toe, although I don't think it would look bad with those.

The neck is high enough that you don't need a necklace. I would say a nice pair of earrings (pearls, diamonds, or another stud), and a simple bracelet would do the trick. I picture something like a David Yurman bracelet with the onyx stone. You don't need too much jewelry - I personally think stacking bracelets and chunky statement necklaces are a little OTT/trendy for a black tie event.

I also agree with whoever said pointy toe pumps without platform. They seem a little dressier than peep toe, although I don't think it would look bad with those.

Thanks, JCinwrppingppr! You're right, the jewelry should be kept to a minimum. I don't usually wear stacks of bracelets or chunky jewelry anyway, so a simple bracelet and a pair of earrings will be perfect.

I have a pair of black sling-back CLs with a pointed toe and a low heel. Maybe I'll wear those....

Thanks again!! :hugs:

That's a beautiful dress but its more a cocktail dress, not really black tie gown.

So I'd recommend to have it very conservative and classy. No open toe shoes for sure, I agree that close pointed shoes like Pigalle is better. Do you ave anything like this?

I would wear one big statement jewelry like a big bracelet or a ring, and small earrings, no necklace.

Maybe a silk shawl to cover open arms.

That's a beautiful dress but its more a cocktail dress, not really black tie gown.

So I'd recommend to have it very conservative and classy. No open toe shoes for sure, I agree that close pointed shoes like Pigalle is better. Do you ave anything like this?

I would wear one big statement jewelry like a big bracelet or a ring, and small earrings, no necklace.

Maybe a silk shawl to cover open arms.

Thanks for your feedback!

It is a black-tie event, but many women wear cocktail dresses instead of gowns. For the attendees it's about 50% cocktail dresses/50% ball gowns, but all the women on the committee wear ballgowns. Last year I wore a ball gown but I opted for a cocktail dress this year. We go to the same event each year and I usually wear a ball gown every other year.

I do have a close-toed CL shoe. I'm still not sure about the jewelry I'll be wearing but it will be simple. Thanks for reminding me I need to get a shawl!

Thanks for your feedback!

It is a black-tie event, but many women wear cocktail dresses instead of gowns. For the attendees it's about 50% cocktail dresses/50% ball gowns, but all the women on the committee wear ballgowns. Last year I wore a ball gown but I opted for a cocktail dress this year. We go to the same event each year and I usually wear a ball gown every other year.

I do have a close-toed CL shoe. I'm still not sure about the jewelry I'll be wearing but it will be simple. Thanks for reminding me I need to get a shawl!

Ok, cool, so you're familiar with the event and the way people usual dress. Tht makes it so much easier for you :smile: I hate going to events and being unsure if I'm going to be the only one overdressed/underdressed.

I guess it's always the best to have something to cover if its cold. And with AC it's always chilly anywhere. I have a mink shawl for long dresses, and also some silk and lace Spanish shawls.

Enjoy your party! ;)