Please help identify leather, color and design

As requested, this thread is now the official Help I.D. Hermes leather, color and design thread. Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: Please do nat ask for authentication on this thread.

Reply to any questions regarding any items are NOT be taken as a sign of authenticity. You will have to find a reputable paid-for service.

PT

It concerns me that the seller is not able to tell you what the bag’s date stamp says, considering they presumably have the bag in their possession. I took a look at the pictures from the listing again, and I can see exactly where the date stamp is. It is not faded out, though it is hard to see with the subpar pictures in the listing. It seems to be a D in a square, 2000. I am still unsure of the colour. While it is true that Vespas with leather straps are rarer than their fabric strap counterparts, both were available over several years, so it would be difficult to ascertain the date with that information alone.

Clemence does not come in Naturel. I believe the only Vespa leather that came in Naturel was Ardennes. Also, bags in the colour Naturel generally have white contrast stitching, but the stitching on this bag looks tonal. I think your decision to avoid this bag is a good one.

Yes, very concerning.

I've been looking at a lot of vintage Hermès and Chanel lately, and have come across two other situations that made me wonder if people were selling bags they didn't actually have in their possession. Almost like a fancy version of drop-shipping?

Caveat emptor and all that, but it's so tricky trying to buy from Australia. Even if I could return a bag that was misrepresented, I would still be out hundreds of dollars in import duties. The dream is to find a good bag from a local seller, but there doesn't seem much of a vintage market here beyond the Berkin/Kelly. Or if there is, I haven't found it yet!

Thank you again for all your knowledge, r luvs h. :heart:

@sleepyrabbit I love Chamonix in that color! And @r luvs h, might I also solicit your expertise as to what kind of leather this might be? It’s a bag from 1973, so my first assumption would be box, & the scratches certainly bear that out, but the grain doesn’t look quite like box to me…

View attachment 5684909

View attachment 5684910

View attachment 5684911

I’m not 100% certain about this one. Do you have a picture of the sangles, gussets, and entire front of the bag? What leather seems to be on the interior?

Reactions: Virevolte
I’m not 100% certain about this one. Do you have a picture of the sangles, gussets, and entire front of the bag? What leather seems to be on the interior?
Here are some more pix, @r luvs h - thank you so much for taking a look! The seller is in France while I’m in the US now, so I can’t inspect the bag for myself, & in any case your judgment comes from real expertise whereas mine does not. :idea: Seller says that the interior is dark brown (tho it looks close to black in this photo) & that the exterior has never been repainted.[Edited to add one more photo]

7A0E5224-5F20-4358-9224-654D11009C55.jpeg

7F5A275D-FB01-4F72-9159-4A6E88F9678F.jpeg

D6530364-48CA-4B98-A300-9F6657A57249.jpeg

CD099314-E798-4C9D-A670-6BC4B28ABE4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are some more pix, @r luvs h - thank you so much for taking a look! The seller is in France while I’m in the US now, so I can’t inspect the bag for myself, & in any case your judgment comes from real expertise whereas mine does not. :idea: Seller says that the interior is dark brown (tho it looks close to black in this photo) & that the exterior has never been repainted.[Edited to add one more photo]

View attachment 5685303

View attachment 5685304

View attachment 5685305

View attachment 5685306

I think this must be Box Calf. Though I am surprised by the colour and relative condition for Box Calf of this age, I just don’t know what other leather would make sense for that date. I think someone like @perlerare or @bababebi would be more knowledgeable on a very vintage style like this. Did the seller mention anything about what exterior colour this is?

Last edited:
I think this must be Box Calf. Though I am surprised by the colour and relative condition for Box Calf of this age, I just don’t know what other leather would make sense for that date. I think someone like @perlerare or @bababebi would be more knowledgeable on a very vintage style like this. Did the seller mention anything about what exterior colour this is?
Thank you, @r luvs h , for weighing in! I agree that only Box seems plausible for that date. As for the color, the seller is calling it “Camel” but conceded that she doesn’t know what its official H color designation is. The Verso-esque aspect of the bag is also surprising to me, with the contrasting darker lining. So many question marks make me hesitant to buy it, but it is an intriguing puzzle…

Dear experts, bumped into this listing today and the seller says this is evercolor leather — wonder if it is actually swift? It looks really more like swift to me.. year is 2016 K cut blue atol

View attachment 5689602View attachment 5689603View attachment 5689604View attachment 5689605View attachment 5689607View attachment 5689608

View attachment 5689606
This looks like Swift. Swift was available in Bleu Atoll in 2016. Not to say it doesn’t exist, but I have never seen an accurately described Kelly Cut in Evercolor anyway.