Please help identify leather, color and design

As requested, this thread is now the official Help I.D. Hermes leather, color and design thread. Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: Please do nat ask for authentication on this thread.

Reply to any questions regarding any items are NOT be taken as a sign of authenticity. You will have to find a reputable paid-for service.

PT

Thanks for this great thread!

Can someone please help me identifying the leather of my little Eugenie pochette? She dates back to 1975 and I have no clue which leather it might be. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Eugenie 1.jpg
    Eugenie 1.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 998
I think it looks like Chevre, but I am FAR from an expert. Others with much more knowledge will chime in. She's lovely! What a terrific clutch!

Mindi, Thanks for your kind words and your opinion. At first I also thought it might be Chevre, but compared to my Bearn wallet it looks completely different. But - there are different types of Chevre and I am no leather-expert either. Will have to take it to my local store to ask the in-house craftswoman there.

I love this thread really !
There are so many different grains and versions of Togo and Clemence...

A good thing is to take a picture of the entire bag, from a distance, natural light. And watch how sides and seams behave, because they do differ according to leather. But that t could easily turn into a visual torture for the unexperienced viewer.

Hi Perlerare sorry for the late update. Been quite busy lately. Here is a full photo of my So Kelly. It is a bit heavy as well so my take is that it is Clemence which is same as my Evie. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    958 KB · Views: 844
Hi Perlerare sorry for the late update. Been quite busy lately. Here is a full photo of my So Kelly. It is a bit heavy as well so my take is that it is Clemence which is same as my Evie. What do you think?
Togo for your So Kelly as there's veining. (Although that said, newer Togo are more uniformed these days with little to no veining.)

Thanks for this great thread!

Can someone please help me identifying the leather of my little Eugenie pochette? She dates back to 1975 and I have no clue which leather it might be. Any ideas?
wow, its such a beautiful vintage that the best you can find is the animal? the leather treatment method and procedure back in those days could be different from now and also the leather might appear unexpectedly different today also in mind the condition it has been preserved over 40 years. but the leather looks glossy and well moisturised, no cracking or drying up - amazing how good it looks in this photo.

wow, its such a beautiful vintage that the best you can find is the animal? the leather treatment method and procedure back in those days could be different from now and also the leather might appear unexpectedly different today also in mind the condition it has been preserved over 40 years. but the leather looks glossy and well moisturised, no cracking or drying up - amazing how good it looks in this photo.

Thank you, dear honhon. It came from my mother-in-law's estate when she passed away some 10+ yrs ago. Alas, never used it since then, but gave it a little spa treatment at least once a year with Saphir Creme Renovateur to avoid drying and cracking.

I think it looks like Chevre, but I am FAR from an expert. Others with much more knowledge will chime in. She's lovely! What a terrific clutch!

Mindi, I just returned from my local store and was informed that the official name of my little beauty is "Pochette Djerba" like the island in Tunisia (NOT Eugenie) and the leather is Chevre! Talked to the craftswoman there and she immediately identified it as Chevre and looked up her archives for the name.

Interesting! It looks exactly like a black Piano bag I used to own from the same era that Claude from Madison Avenue told me was an endangered species called Antelope. I have a picture of an agenda cover in Antelope also. Looks the same. I guess goats and antelopes are somewhat cousins, LOL!

Last edited: