Please help!! Hand sanitizer on Louis Vuitton monogram canvas

beamsie

May 21, 2020
So a hand sanitizer bottle exploded on me and got on the canvas on my bag, leaving a white spot. I tried to treat it immediately with a soft cloth and a bit of water, the spot was still there. I quickly googled some remedies and found someone used coconut oil on their pochette metis, I don’t have some on me because I’m outside. But I have cocoa butter vaseline and i applied the tiniest amount and it seems to help, but there’s a slight streak in the light you can tell where the spot was. Is there anything I can do to treat the canvas now to help remove the mark? :confused1:

First pic was straight after the hand sanitizer accident. 2nd and 3rd pic showing streak after treating it with damp cloth and a bit of vaseline.

7A82D693-D68E-46C9-83CC-044CFCC477DC.jpeg

08D1C1A4-4FC6-4DD6-95C7-EBB4F89AB3FD.jpeg

347543B6-7B35-4473-A106-7BA01A2DD25C.jpeg

So a hand sanitizer bottle exploded on me and got on the canvas on my bag, leaving a white spot. I tried to treat it immediately with a soft cloth and a bit of water, the spot was still there. I quickly googled some remedies and found someone used coconut oil on their pochette metis, I don’t have some on me because I’m outside. But I have cocoa butter vaseline and i applied the tiniest amount and it seems to help, but there’s a slight streak in the light you can tell where the spot was. Is there anything I can do to treat the canvas now to help remove the mark? :confused1:

First pic was straight after the hand sanitizer accident. 2nd and 3rd pic showing streak after treating it with damp cloth and a bit of vaseline.

View attachment 4784157

View attachment 4784158

View attachment 4784159
Something similar happened to me with my beloved brand new Onthego MM & I tried using Coconut oil. With oil some spots got better but reverse side with bigger spot is till there :huh:

I'm sorry it happened to you.

Hand sanitizers contain around 70% isopropyl alcohol and different moisturizers like aloe, glycerin, etc. Unfortunately isopropyl alcohol is a solvent and it evaporates very fast so you cleaned the rest of the ingredients that dried out on the canvas. LV canvas is very sturdy but I'm afraid the damage may be permanent. I will advice you to use only approved methods of cleaning and please don't try any methods shared by people - there is a good chance to damage your bag further.

PS - this is just for your information. A while ago I read a forum post when someone was looking for advice how to clean a pen mark on LV canvas. While everyone was suggesting rubbing alcohol (which contains isopropyl alcohol), there was users reporting how they damaged their bags further using it.

• Love
Reactions: trinket and 880
I'm sorry it happened to you.

Hand sanitizers contain around 70% isopropyl alcohol and different moisturizers like aloe, glycerin, etc. Unfortunately isopropyl alcohol is a solvent and it evaporates very fast so you cleaned the rest of the ingredients that dried out on the canvas. LV canvas is very sturdy but I'm afraid the damage may be permanent. I will advice you to use only approved methods of cleaning and please don't try any methods shared by people - there is a good chance to damage your bag further.

PS - this is just for your information. A while ago I read a forum post when someone was looking for advice how to clean a pen mark on LV canvas. While everyone was suggesting rubbing alcohol (which contains isopropyl alcohol), there was users reporting how they damaged their bags further using it.
Fortunately I’m able to revive my bag after rubbing in bio-oil few times. Though it was extreme multiple damage but I don’t see it anymore. Will keep an eye in it for it to reappear in future but for now all looks incredibly good :rolleyes: